Double action 45 Colt choices

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ed333

Bearcat
I recently acquired a Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt, after owning a S&W Governor for several years. I got hooked on reloading the round, really enjoy it, but don't enjoy shooting the Governor all that much, the grip configuration and trigger seem odd to me. I have owned a lot of Smiths over the years, and this is different.
I shoot steel challenge and falling plates at my club. The RO will allow me to lead off with the Vaquero, and then switch to the Governor. The other double action choices in 45 colt seem to be a Ruger Redhawk and a S&W Classic model 25-15 re-issue. As between these two, which would have (either now, or in the future through 'shooting in') the better trigger, the more enjoyable shooting experience? I realize I may encounter some bias here, but I will ask the same question on the S&W forum.
PS- I have handled new examples of both, and was hard-pressed to make a choice based on that limited experience.

Thel

Blackhawk
I assume in selection you mean only currently manufactured models. Also, I assume you are not interested in .454 Casull models that will fire the .45 Colt. Out of the box the Smith should have the lighter single action with less creep than the Redhawk. The Redhawk should have the lighter double action due to single spring. The Smith will have less lock time due to less hammer arc. If both guns were tuned by the best gunsmiths the Smith would have both the lighter double action and single action. The Ruger is far stronger than the Smith and can take really hot loads as manufactured by some boutique ammo companies. I guess what you will select depends upon what features are important.

If you were to consider used guns Smith had available in the past a number of .45 Colt models including the light weight (relatively) Mountain Gun. In the past Colt manufactured the Anaconda in .45 Colt but these are somewhat pricey. Dan Wesson also had a .45 Colt model. In the distant past High Standard had a double action, the Crusader that was made in very limited numbers.

BearBio

Buckeye
There is also the Colt 1909's and 1917's if you want a used gun. I've always been partial to those. Also the 1878 and 1902 Colts but I don't shoot mine often (Birdshead grip feels uncomfortable to me). The S & W Model of 1989 (a Model 25 variant) that I had was real sweet but pretty ugly in my opinion.

No longer currently made, but if you're interested, Taurus made a model 450 and also the Tracker 460 Model in 45 Colt - both are 5 shot, SA/DA modern revolvers. These turn up at gun stores once in a while - some are decent gunes - as with any used gun, check them out carefully before buying

Ed333

Bearcat
I am thinking maybe 3 more Vaqueros might be a fun way to go, that would get me through a 24 plate per turn falling plate match, and for steel challenge, I could have a friend re-load my first SAA for the fifth and final. :) :) And that way I could work in a Bisley. If I sold my dusty F class rifle, I could do this. :roll:

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Ruger's new 45 colt/45 acp seems like the ideal revolver but they do have a heavy trigger pull in both single and double-action. :D

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-Redhawk45.htm

bogus bill

Hunter
I have a 4" S&W model 25-5. I doubt there is a better DA .45 colt made. I suppose a Redhawk would feel like a club alongside of it or in your holster. If there is a better gun it would be the Mountain Gun. It has the tapered barrel like my 24-3 gun in .44 special shown under the 25-5 on top.

Mus408

Hunter
In my collection of revolvers in .45 Colt this is my best shooter! We clicked right after the first shot.
My cool/cold weather carry!

dougader

Hunter
The Mountain Gun in 45 Colt is a nice gun. I don't imagine you need particularly heavy loads to topple those steel plates.

You can also get the Model 625 in 45 auto so reloads are real quick with full moon clips.

BearBio

Buckeye
bogus bill said:
This is a S&W 1917 .45 acp.

Not a 45 Colt but one of the best defense revolvers, especially with those 45 AR (IMO).

The way it is lighter on the sideplate: Is that a 1936 version and the Brazilian crest removed?

bogus bill

Hunter
No, its a standard U.S. Army 1917. The grips aren't original of course. When my dad was close to 90 he had to go to assisted living and I had to take it from him. He always kept it under his mattress. I once had another that I had fitted up with a I think, a .455 cylinder bored to .45 colt and another crane. Also smith target sights etc. It was a true convertible. No, the bluing has just been rubbed thin there. Shoots fine.

gman82001

Single-Sixer
Mus408 said:
In my collection of revolvers in .45 Colt this is my best shooter! We clicked right after the first shot.
My cool/cold weather carry!

Could I get Info on that boolit?