Do I have the right Hogue grip?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HammerMTB

Bearcat
I have a NM Blackhawk made in 2009.
I have a Hogue monogrip to put on it. It is marked for BH, single six, and Vaquero.
For the life of me I can't figure out how it is to be installed. The spring clip and threaded portion that should grip the bottom of the gripframe and provide the threads to hold the grip has no place to fit. Is there some secret that I need to ask the hall of wisdom here? Got a pic? I (of course) have a coil mainspring, and a "seat" it sits into in the bottom of the gripframe. The crosspin that would hold the Monogrip threads needs to go right where that mainspring seat lives. I even tried capturing the mainspring and putting the crosspin under the "seat" That was not the solution.
What now? :?:

HammerMTB

Bearcat
hittman":wjl6fs7m said:
What's the grip model number on the Hogue box?

Here's a link to Hogue's Instructions from their web site.

http://www.getgrip.com/main/support/instruct.html

I have the instruction set for the MonoGrip #2
Unfortunately, my Blackhawk gripframe does not look at all like what's in the instructions. I thought maybe someone who's seen some old and new ones might know of a difference in late model BH grips or the mainspring/strut/seat orientation.

Stubshaft

Bearcat
I think that your problem is the "seat" which is the internal lock for the gun. I have a NMBH but it was made prior to yours and doesn't have the lock on it. Below the strut on my BH there is air.

I can only suggest that you call Hogue in the morning and get the specifics from them.

E-mail Hogue, sounds like you got a BH with the internal lock. You could drill a hole in the bottom of the lock??? so your rubber baby buggy bumpers will fit? The new XR3 frames are a 1/16" narrower than the original XR3. The inst.pdf shows a gp100 grip frame.
I've e-mailed Hogue before and got a quick reply.
Eric

HammerMTB

Bearcat
You're absolutely right, that's a lock on there!
I never paid any attention to the block, and sure enough, it has a hole in it for a key. And, there in the bottom of the box was a couple keys....
So seeing as it's the weekend and I doubt I'd get an answer from Hogue before Monday, I fixed it. I made a spot for my pin to fit down next to the lock, and put it together.
Safe to say you're not a fan of the Hogue grip by the comment?
Safe for me to say I won't be getting a cracked knuckle from the back of the trigger gaurd anymore! Heavy boolits and charges made a brute of that short bbled .45!

eric conrad":9bzopuoe said:
E-mail Hogue, sounds like you got a BH with the internal lock. You could drill a hole in the bottom of the lock??? so your rubber baby buggy bumpers will fit? The new XR3 frames are a 1/16" narrower than the original XR3. The inst.pdf shows a gp100 grip frame.
I've e-mailed Hogue before and got a quick reply.
Eric

Dale53

Blackhawk
HammerMTB;
If it is possible, it might be helpful to some on here to see how you managed to fit the grip to the "new with lock" frame. Take some pictures and show us your "do it yourself" fix.

I am another of those "Rogue" fans of rubber grips. I favor the Pachmayrs but also have a couple of Hogue grips. I would much rather have comfortable grips that protect my middle finger knuckle from the banging it gets from the trigger guard. Here is my .44 Lipsey Special:

QPachmaryRuger50th44MagSelects-0022.jpg

They are not as pretty as wood grips can be but they are sure a lot more comfortable for me. I have rather large hands and the Packmayrs just fit me WAY better.

Dale53

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Something else must be the problem because I have 2 stainless steel new model Blackhawks and I cannot get the grips to full seat correctly even without having the metal strap in place.

HammerMTB

Bearcat
Next time I have it apart I will take some pics and get 'em out, Dale

Dale53":lacjj5sr said:
HammerMTB;
If it is possible, it might be helpful to some on here to see how you managed to fit the grip to the "new with lock" frame. Take some pictures and show us your "do it yourself" fix.

I am another of those "Rogue" fans of rubber grips. I favor the Pachmayrs but also have a couple of Hogue grips. I would much rather have comfortable grips that protect my middle finger knuckle from the banging it gets from the trigger guard. Here is my .44 Lipsey Special:

QPachmaryRuger50th44MagSelects-0022.jpg

They are not as pretty as wood grips can be but they are sure a lot more comfortable for me. I have rather large hands and the Packmayrs just fit me WAY better.

Dale53

rooger

Single-Sixer
I have the same gun and just put on the same grip after facing the same problem. I also got tired of waiting for Hogue to get back to me. First, I was able to pull up that trigger-lock block just enough to slide the smaller stirrup pin underneath it. Next, I installed the stirrup onto the pin but I used the larger holes on the stirrup because this placed the stirrup-nut in the correct position. Along the way, I damaged the stirrup screw so I got a new one (allen head) from a hardware store. Be sure to line up the screw perfectly with the hole in the nut and start it with your fingers so you don't strip the screw. Everything now fits nice and tight and I sure like the feel of this Monogrip. (My reason for going to the Monogrip was to stop the injury to bottom joint of my middle finger.)

taphandle

Bearcat
HHMMMM.......... A few years back when I purchased my first Blackhawk, I asked a question concerning hogue grips and about 23 posters chimed in stating that it was basically a mortal sin and an ugly thing to do to a beautiful Ruger SA. They stated that the grip design was as such to allow the gun to "roll" with recoil.

I was taken back a little as I was a new guy and it seemed as though they were scolding me, but I figured these guys would be the ones to know.

They were right. Oh I still have the hogue grips but they are collecting dust in a box until they find a new home.

But by all means do what works best for you.

Latest posts