Die question. Is my memory failing me but

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted above,, better performance is usually achieved by crimping after seating,, and not at the same time. With semi-auto handgun rounds,, such as .9mm, .40 S&W, & .45 acp,, a taper crimp is the best idea,, and it is a separate die. In the 3-die sets,, folks often set the bullet,, w/o a crimp,, then after loading the desired number of rounds,, adjust the seating/crimp die to add the crimp w/o any additional seating. (the crimp is in the body of the die,, while the seater is an adjustable plug that can be adjusted up or down.)

I've gotten away from crimping my semi auto pistol rounds. The Lehigh's have a groove that the factory crimp die would roll the lip into allowing the round to go too deep. It's fine with most other rounds without a groove.

Chief 101

Hunter
the third die in a pistol die set is the expander die. Seater die does a roll crimp. Taper crimp is separate. Lee does make a real nice crimp die only, but that sells as an extra die with the set or by itself. I have a few Lee crimp dies I use for lever gun ammo and it allows me to make some real interesting bullets...

s4s4u

Hunter
I use RCBS dies. There are 3 dies. I seat and crimp in the same stroke. There is no need for a 4th die, but if it makes you feel better, by all means. The Lee FCD is known to swage down solid lead bullets so be careful how much you apply if using it.

that's what I thought. It's been a few years. Thanks

What works best will likely depend on what type of bullets you are using. If you are using jacketed bullets, seating and crimping in a single step with one die often works fine. If you are using the 'new fangled' coated cast bullets, that approach can result in the case mouth scraping the coating off the bullet. Because I shoot a lot of cast bullets (coated, plated & traditional) I prefer to seat and crimp with separate dies. A lot of folks shoot jacketed only, and do fine combining those steps.

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, one size never fits all, etc.
:)

Bad Barlow

Blackhawk
the third die in a pistol die set is the expander die. Seater die does a roll crimp. Taper crimp is separate. Lee does make a real nice crimp die only, but that sells as an extra die with the set or by itself. I have a few Lee crimp dies I use for lever gun ammo and it allows me to make some real interesting bullets...
You make bullets with a crimp die?

Chief 101

Hunter
Bullets=ammo...I knew somebody was going to say this. A bullet can be a single reloaders consumable or a bullet can be a loaded round. If one 357 mag round is sitting my desk I call it a bullet not an ammo...or I have 3 extra clips for my 1911, each one take 8 bullets not 8 ammos. I don't make bullets with a crimp die, but the last step in a 30-30 Win for me is in a crimp die(for a lever action rifle that is). I can modify them...:cool:;)
You make bullets with a crimp die?

Last edited:

jgt

Buckeye
So you are "that guy" on an international forum stating you call a cartridge a "bullet"? I guess that tells us you buy your "bullets" in person to load into those 1911 "clips". It must be frustrating for you to try to get what you want by buying on line from sales people that don't realize "bullets=ammo". Bless your Heart!

Latest posts