Decocker vs. safety

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dirty Bob

Bearcat
I like the decocker models in the P-series pistols, but is there really any issue with pistols with the safety? I looks like I could use the safety to decock the pistol and then switch it off and leave it off. I've been carrying DA/SA pistols for years with the safety off, as a good holster and the DA trigger prevent a negligent discharge.

The only thing that I can think of is the issue of more parts in the pistol, and perhaps the bulk (or the looks) of the safety lever. Am I missing something?

Thank you much,
Dirty Bob

A

Anonymous

There isn't any issue with the guns with the safety, my P944 is a safety model. I would have preferred a DC only gun, but they didn't have any when I bought mine. The only real difference is the de-cocker springs back after use, while the safety de-cocks, and stays down acting as a safety unless you sweep it back up.

AZshooter

Bearcat
For the same reason a revolver needs no additional safety in an intelligent society, a DA semi auto also doesn't need an additional safety in order to be safely carried.

Take note that the Ruger LC9 comes with a manual safety that puzzles and annoys common sense shooters, and then consider that the design was made by committee, not of firearms experts or enthusiasts, but by legal drones, intent on fostering a CYA action. This was done, not with the actual safety of the firearm owner/user in mind, but to further pacify litigious elements of the California gummint ...

A decocker serves only to make common sense, long time firearms owners, such as myself, flinch whenever it is employed.

pisgah

Buckeye
The only disadvantage to the safety model is largely theoretical -- but , still, a possibility. Carried as many do, safety off, you might find in a critical situation that the safety has been engaged inadvertantly. Oops. Won't happen with a DC.

Dirty Bob

Bearcat
Thank you very much!

This broadens my horizons a bit. I like the look and the idea of the decocker-only pistols better, but I never had any trouble managing and carrying a Makarov, so I would anticipate no troubles with a P89 or P95. I would use the safety only for decocking and would immediately switch it "off" as part of the decocking process.

I knew that this group would have a good, solid answer. The level of knowledge and the ability to clearly explain are very impressive in these forums.

With gratitude,
Dirty Bob

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
AZshooter said:
Take note that the Ruger LC9 comes with a manual safety that puzzles and annoys common sense shooters, and then consider that the design was made by committee, not of firearms experts or enthusiasts, but by legal drones, intent on fostering a CYA action. This was done, not with the actual safety of the firearm owner/user in mind, but to further pacify litigious elements of the California gummint ...

Maybe so, but how do you explain the LCP and the recent 1911? One would think the legal drones would have killed the 1911, particularly one without a mechanical firing pin blocker.

JumpmasterC

Single-Sixer
ArmedinAZ said:
AZshooter said:

Maybe so, but how do you explain the LCP and the recent 1911? One would think the legal drones would have killed the 1911, particularly one without a mechanical firing pin blocker.

Both the LCP & SR1911 are available to LEO only in the peoples republic of k alifonia! (you can still legally acquire them, but it is a pita thanks to those legal drones)!

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
i like my decocker/safety.........it gives me a better grip when i rack the slide and for me flipping the safety up with my thumb is a natural movement. on my p 90 the safety has never moved from off to on or vice versa in 15 yrs.

If you are a one pistol person then in reality it doesn't matter... the problem is when you have more than one... then I think it gets confusing, at least for me. And if a bad thing happens where micro seconds might count.... that's the wrong time to be confused.

P90

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
If you are a one pistol person then in reality it doesn't matter... the problem is when you have more than one... then I think it gets confusing, at least for me. And if a bad thing happens where micro seconds might count.... that's the wrong time to be confused.
I totally agree with the above, especially with CCW's. Always carry the same platform. We are creatures of habit, and when you have to stop, and think whether you have a Decocker, or Safety model, you could be dead.

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I think it's fine to have different gun styles, I have a DA/SA with just a safety, a DA/SA with de-cocker/safety, a SA that can be cocked and locked, and then the two SR series guns.

I do believe it's important to get completely familiar with the system of whatever you carry, and it wouldn't be all that wise to switch things up, or go back and forth between them.

SteveSatch

Single-Sixer
In the past I would have only bought a DC (and I have passed on several deals because they were DC/safety), but now I could live with a DC/safety. Probably because I have all my bases covered with what I already own and any further P series purchases are just for the fun of owning.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
AZshooter said:
Take note that the Ruger LC9 comes with a manual safety that puzzles and annoys common sense shooters,

There are a number of people that like having a safety on their pistols.
I own a number of each, and given the choose I would prefer having one that has a safety on me when I carry out in the public.
That's me and I know there are a lot more that would agree.

Now, as to the LC9 being made by committee..... Good comment.

Lateck,

btrumanj

Single-Sixer
I carry a P97 with decccker most days but occasionally I still carry my old P 85 with the safety. The only thing I use the safety for is decocking the gun. I also carry revolvers at times. If one pays attention and is familiar with their guns, changing from one to the other shouldn't be a problem. JMO :)

P90

Single-Sixer
If anyone can Bird Hunt with Shotguns that have 3 different safety locations, and not have problems, you are way better than I am. If I have time to think, I'm ok, but in a hurry, instincts take over, and Mine don't vary correctly between different systems.

AZshooter

Bearcat
ArmedinAZ said:
AZshooter said:

I've yet to see the Ruger 1911 up close, but consider the Colt 1911 series 80 and also the Taurus PT 1911 - both have firing pin blocks, and maybe someone with a Ruger 1911 in hand can comment on whether it emulates the Series 80 or not.

I'm also not familiar with the LCP. but perhaps it has the same style fp block as the LC9?