Decocker Only Vs. Decocker/Safety Models

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bowfita

Bearcat
P90 said:
Just a thought. If a decocked auto pistol needs a safety, why don't double action Revolvers? Neither will fire until the double action trigger is pulled, and both will when it is pulled. Should Double action Revolvers have a safety?

You blaspheme!

This visual might explain why so many questions/opinions on semi-autos come up. With a revolver, you just know: pull trigger go bang. With a semi-auto not so easy to tell. Revolvers are like men:

revolver-semiauto.jpg

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
operation wise it really doesn't matter.
Either/Or
I never use the safety as a safety so I never have to worry about
it being on.
So if you use either model in just Decock mode, not a bit of difference
really.

kstoneking said:
I did a search but didn't locate a previous thread, so please forgive me if this has been covered already.

I have noticed several times lately that many fellow forum members seem to prefer the Decocker Only models over the Decocker/Safety models of the P-series pistols. I myself tend to prefer the DC/Safety models but I was wondering if I was missing something important. Is there anything from an operational or reliability standpoint that make the DC Only model preferable to the DC/Safety model? Is it a matter of design simplicity, instant readiness or perhaps merely a personal preference? Any and all perspectives and/or comments would be most appreciated.

Thank you all.

Kenny

I agree with you. I much prefer to have a safety. Just seems like a problem waiting to happen for there not to be a safety on a loaded gun. I love my P944

berettapistols

Blackhawk
Not that I prefer one method over the other but now own a manual safety P89.
I've had lots of SIGs & the decocking lever without safety does work very well but while your reaching for the lever the gun is cocked & in SA Mode..
On the manual safety model the safety can be applied & then the gun charged = rack the slide with loaded magazine, & the hammer will follow the slide home as it's closed & the gun is never in SA mode & is in effect totally safe..
Always point a gun in a safe direction while decocking or charging the weapon & pay attention to the four basic rules of firearms handling..

I'll also note that the P85 was in effect made by Ruger to be concidered in the US weapons trials were the M9/Beretta92F was the final winner & later the M11/SIG Sauer P228 was also confirmed for use..
Both of these guns cost more than the P85/P89 to make mainly because of the investment casting that Ruger used..
But every automatic handgun the US Government ever used had some type of manual safety be it the 1911 or Beretta92, But them now allowing the M11/SIG changed that..

Having the safety is an option & nothing more..

Stay safe & shoot often..
Gary

P90

Single-Sixer
I guess since the general consensus is that the Auto's need a safety, because so many things can happen to cause them to accidentally fire, I need to contact the Governor of California and Illinois, and explain how dangerous it is to let the hammer down safely on a revolver. They need a safety to push off first where they won't fire if your finger slips off the hammer. Y'all know now that all gun are safer with a Safety! 8)

berettapistols

Blackhawk
Yeah I guess I need to sell my revolvers as their so dangerous being they have no safety selector..
I always thought the safety was your trigger finger & fire switch between your ears..
On a SA Auto such as a 1911 or BHP a safety is a great thing to have..

JohnKSa

Single-Sixer
I never use the safety as a safety so I never have to worry about
it being on.
If you DO have a manual safety model and you plan to use it for home/self-defense then your practice sessions should include disengaging the safety before each shot string.

Basically, any time you bring the gun up to fire it you should disengage the safety so that it becomes habit. This will ensure that if you ever accidentally leave the safety on you will disengage it automatically out of habit when you bring the gun up to shoot, thus preventing a possible delay in being able to fire at a time when a delay might be the difference between life and death.

The advantage to the safety model is being able to load the chamber with the safety on vs. the DC being HOT for the period of time it takes to decock. I have and use both but only carry DC models because on several training sessions, I left the safety on and received only a click when drawing and attempting to fire. This is a deadly situation. I've carried a KP95 DC for many years and see no reason for the safety feature.

libbylibbylibby

Bearcat
I do like the ability to load the chamber with the safety on (the hammer rides down with the slide as it moves forward). Then, safety off and in the holster.

Latest posts