Decocker Only Vs. Decocker/Safety Models

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kstoneking

Single-Sixer
I did a search but didn't locate a previous thread, so please forgive me if this has been covered already.

I have noticed several times lately that many fellow forum members seem to prefer the Decocker Only models over the Decocker/Safety models of the P-series pistols. I myself tend to prefer the DC/Safety models but I was wondering if I was missing something important. Is there anything from an operational or reliability standpoint that make the DC Only model preferable to the DC/Safety model? Is it a matter of design simplicity, instant readiness or perhaps merely a personal preference? Any and all perspectives and/or comments would be most appreciated.

Thank you all.

Kenny

GhosT

Blackhawk
Kenny,
My post won't add much.

Own a P95 that like ALOT.
Own a P91 that Downright love!
Both Decocker 's.

Clueless on the Decocker/Safety models....
So I can't compare them.

I will admit, curious if any posts a preference of the Safety models over the decockers!
Yerself included :wink:

kstoneking

Single-Sixer
After shooting and handling both variations I found that I prefer the Decocker/Safety models G. If I want the pistol to be "on safe" I have that option and if I want it to be ready for immediate use, I can carry it "off safe", just like a DC only. I guess what I'm saying is, I like having that option. I'm just curious about the reasons that a lot of people seem to prefer the DC only pistols.

Kenny

I have three P95 decock onlys... and a P89 safety model...

I prefer the decock only by far... I also carry a Sig 230 that is also a decock only model.

I guess if all I had were semi-autos with safeties it would not seem the safety is a problem....but I can't really see any reason for the safety.

Sometimes I carry a Walther PPK and I ALWAYS leave the safety off.

Putting a safety on a Double Action / Single Action Semi-auto is like putting a safety on a Revolver.

What I fear is that when seconds count, if I had a Safety model I would forget to take it off when I needed to.

Mike J

Hunter
My P944 is a safety model. I really liked that when I was fairly new to the whole handgun thing but now I would prefer the decock only version. I don't usually carry it but if I do I just take the safety off after holstering. If it were my only gun & I carried it all the time I would make a point of training myself to take the safety off while drawing but as of right now both the guns I usually carry don't require that step & I want to try to keep it simple. My XD does have a grip safety that is taken off simply by gripping the gun properly.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
Kenny ... My P95 is a decocker only and my KP345 is a safety/decocker model. From my perspective, there isn't a thimble full of practical difference unless you're carrying and prefer your safety on (for me ... since when I occasionally carry my 345 I do so with the safety off ... there is no difference carrying either).

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I prefer the decocker but my safety model P95 has been outstanding. I'm already in the habit of sweeping the safety off after decocking anyway.

P90

Single-Sixer
I prefer the DC only for a CCW. One less thing that could go wrong. Forget to flip off after decocking, or get put on while holstering. Things that can go wrong do sometimes. JMHO

bub

Single-Sixer
For myself, I'd rather have a decocker only, for two reasons. First off, I learned pistol shooting on a Sig P226, which is decock only, It's what I learned, it's what I know. Finish shooting, hit the decocker, holster. Gun is ready without doing anything else but hit the trigger. Even now, although I've carried and trained with Glocks since 1993, I still find that I reach for the decocker on the Sig once in a while when holstering.

Secondly, the issue of leaving the safety on. At the PD I work for, we issue a Beretta 92FS if you want a Dept issue gun. Only one guy right now is carrying a Dept issue gun, but in years past, it has been as high as 5 or 6 carrying the Berettas. I have seen several guys at qualifications draw and try to pull the trigger, all it does is flop back and forth. Then, the light dawns that the safety is on. They hit the safety and go right back to it. I've seen the same out of the guys who used to carry S&W autos on duty, of which we used to have quite a few. I realize that it is a training issue, training to decock with the safety, then making sure you get the safety pushed all the way back up and off. However, the way my luck runs, I'd be the one that has their safety on if I REALLY needed the gun. For this, a gun that only decocks and the decocker springs back off is a better solution, since it is physically impossible to leave the safety on, whether accidentally or if the gun hits something and that puts the safety on.

If I found a gun I REALLY liked, safety/decocker wouldn't be a real issue, I'd just have to train myself to hit the safety as I draw. But, like I said, it's just so much easier to not have to worry about it in the first place.

Bub

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I agree with you 100% Bub. The P95 is the gun that I REALLY like and so I can live with the safety. 8) My brother in law is career military and says the safety on the M9 causes alot of trouble, especially with troops who don't have much experience with guns of its type. Some of them think that the safety is only a decocker and don't push it back up afterwards, some of them think you can carry the pistol cocked and locked and end up carrying cocked with the safety off. It doesn't halp matters that the safety lever is small and easy to inadvertently turn on. He says that experienced troops constantly check to ensure that the safety is off throughout the day.

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
I happen to have the safety-deckock model of the P345. It's what was most readily available at the time...I think Ruger offered a decock only model of the P345 at first, but then discontinued it.

I have no issue with it, operationally, and imagine I like the option of a safety...but the safety is most always disengaged and the pistol in the fire position.

JohnKSa

Single-Sixer
I've actually inadvertently engaged the safety on a safety/decocker pistol accidentally by racking the slide. Doesn't happen often but it's pretty irritating when it does.

The safety features of a modern DA/SA pistol make a manual safety unnecessary in my opinion. I prefer the simplicity of knowing that a gun will always work if there's a round chambered and I pull the trigger.

railroader

Single-Sixer
Putting a safety on a Double Action / Single Action Semi-auto is like putting a safety on a Revolver.

Blume357 put it perfectly. I have a p95 that had a safety but I converted it to decock only. If my wife needs to use it or I'm woken in the middle of the night I don't want to be figuring if the safety is on or off. Mark

JohnKSa

Single-Sixer
I compared a P95DC to a P95 manual safety model and you can't do the conversion just by changing the upper. Besides the obvious differences in the slide & slide parts there is a difference in the trigger bar and also in the frame.

You can get a decocker slide on a manual safety frame but it won't operate and it is difficult to remove. The manual safety slide is simpler to get on and off the decocker frame but it still won't operate.

It is probably possible to modify the trigger bar and frame of a manual safety model to allow a decocker slide to work, but as far as I can see, modifying the slide of a manual safety model to convert it to a decock only operation would be a pretty involved task. If someone has figured out how to do it I would certainly be interested in knowing how it's done.

bowfita

Bearcat
I have a p345 and love it. I see no problem with the decocker/safety because the lever profile is so slim there is nothing to "catch" to put it in safety mode unintentionally.

I also don't get the nightstand issue. If its in the bed-side drawer, why is the safety on? If you have kids it should be under lock. If the kids are smart enough to get through the lock, they are smart enough to work the safety.

imho its a training issue. Not having a safety could be a false sense of security. Ok, that sounds weird. :lol:

P90

Single-Sixer
Just a thought. If a decocked auto pistol needs a safety, why don't double action Revolvers? Neither will fire until the double action trigger is pulled, and both will when it is pulled. Should Double action Revolvers have a safety?