Cylinder storage

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cedarcreek

Bearcat
Looking for some input on cylinder storage. I'm thinking about building a box or buying something to store loose cylinders. I worry about dropping them or rolling them off the shelf. I keep them sitting upright in hope of protecting the finish. A felt lined box with individual holes for each cylinder. Oversized enough to provide air gap, deep and small enough to prevent them from rolling. That's what I'm thinking, any advise?

eveled

Hawkeye
Seems they would be easier to store if you make a box with a row of pins for them to sit on, rather than the felt lined holes you described. I've seen boxes with pins to store spools of sewing thread, something like that but bigger. Maybe use brass for the pins to prevent scratching. Just my $.02 be sure to post a picture of what you end up with.

Flatbush

Single-Sixer
I went to Walmart and bought a bunch of inexpensive little socks for babies or really small kids. Put 1 cylinder in each little sock. Maybe cost me about 50 cents a sock.

A low-tech way of protecting the cylinders.

Flatbush

cedarcreek said:
Looking for some input on cylinder storage. I'm thinking about building a box or buying something to store loose cylinders. I worry about dropping them or rolling them off the shelf. I keep them sitting upright in hope of protecting the finish. A felt lined box with individual holes for each cylinder. Oversized enough to provide air gap, deep and small enough to prevent them from rolling. That's what I'm thinking, any advise?

Think you answered your own question. I like the Idea. ps

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Well, if you have the time and some woodworking skills, and want to display them you could build something like this glass front display case I made for duck calls. Maybe a little over the top just for storage tho. :wink: :mrgreen:

calldisplay2.jpg~original

contender

Ruger Guru
I too have several extra cylinders. I use a plastic fishing tackle box, with movable dividers. I'd suggest you not use a felt lined box as over time, rubbing can occur, as well as rust. Just look at the number of OM Supers that were shipped in mahogany wooden boxes, felt lined that were stored that way. Rusty on the side with the felt.
There are several different plastic boxes that can be used this way. Do a little shopping & you'll find one.

cedarcreek

Bearcat
Thanks for the input. My priority is to protect the cylinders, they are very rarely handled or out on display. The plastic storage sounds like a good idea and would make it very affordable. Would holes for ventilation be necessary?

Poco Oso

Buckeye
I'd want to be sure they could breathe. (no, they won't suffocate :lol:) My wife just stitched together some polar fleece bags and added drawstrings, for both our convertibles extra cylinder.

I have seen some VERY ugly single six cylinder that were kept in the factory felt bags and tucked away in the back of a safe. I would definitely NOT store them in anything that could hold even the smallest amount of moisture---even high humidity. Either keep them where they can breath or coat them with something---oil/grease.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
Polar fleece does breathe. It also wicks moisture away. A light coat of oil goes without saying, or should. As well as occasional cleaning and re-oiling. I've had 0 problems with ours, but they are stored in the safe, with a dehumidifier.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Gramps if you ever need help with those little bags let me know I'll take care of the little bottles for you, thanks is not needed.

Zebraranger

Single-Sixer
I too use a small fishing tackle type tray with dividers to store the cylinders in, I keep it set off to the side in one area of the safe. Has worked perfectly for years.

cedarcreek

Bearcat
Thanks again for the input. Plan to go with a plastic container to keep them stationary. I will also make sure that the enclosure is ventilated so that it is similar to the atmosphere inside the safe.

Bkat

Blackhawk
Forum member j miller makes and sells spare cylinder bags out of felt, modeled after the Ruger bags, but his are stouter. (I'm assuming he's still in the business.). He makes two sizes, one for .22s and one for centerfire cylinders. I've bought several from him and have been very pleased with them.

Bkat

JohnFLand

Bearcat
Pouches are more elegant, but not as protective. Some foam padding in the bottom may be useful for the smaller Single Six cylinders. The "safety" disk that came with your revolver finally has a use: mark both sides, then indicate the actual cylinder in the container by picking a side to display.

File%20Feb%2020%2C%205%2043%2034%20PM-small.jpeg

File%20Feb%2020%2C%205%2048%2057%20PM-small.jpeg

The container model number:

File%20Feb%2020%2C%205%2049%2026%20PM-small.jpeg

Much of the air in the container is displaced by the cylinder itself, and the container is air tight. Clean and oil the cylinder, and throw in a VCI chip (link is below). Add a little desiccant pack for extra measure (link is below).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ULSWBSU?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_guFYwbZTEDRP5

http://www.amazon.com/Gram-Silica-Packets-Desiccant-Dehumidifiers/dp/B00E880DYS/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1456166756&sr=8-10&keywords=desiccant

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Agree, don't store any carbon steel guns or parts in a cotton or leather container. The "sewing thread" type of storage rack with upright wood or brass pins in a wood or plastic base will protect them from abrasion and prevent rust.

cedarcreek

Bearcat
I ended up buying a Plano Hydro-Flo 4-24 adjustable compartment 3700 series box (14"Lx9.13"Wx3"H). These boxes have good hinges and latches. They also have holes top and bottom for air circulation. Seems to be a perfect fit. Thanks again for the input.

Latest posts