Crows

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I laid mine out to freeze for use as decoys to help add more of their friends to the decoy spread. Owl decoy is stuck in shipment somewhere. I often get crows rolling in to the electronic call within minutes but not close enough for my new 20 gauge. Hoping a couple of spread eagled crows on the snow brings them closer.

contender

Ruger Guru
I've got crow decoys, owl decoys, calls, etc. But once they get educated, they get a little harder to fool. The best decoy is when you hit one and it isn't immediately killed,, and starts screaming. Boy does that get them into coming around.

I have several crow sounds on my electronic call. Usually takes less than 5 minutes to have them circling overhead. Cold weather may prevent me getting out much next week but plan on being out when it warms up enough.
Gotta dig the yotie traps out of the snow banks today and hope they run tonight before the hard cold. The wet snow will freeze hard and covered traps won't catch.

Chief 101

Hunter
I trapped a Magpie once in a rabbit trap that is about 8"x8"x18" long open both sides wire while trying to nab a gotaway rabbit that was destroying my veggie garden. If you are familiar with Magpies you know they make a lot of noise. He marched back and forth in the trap yelling at me as loud as he could so when I finally got to him and turned him loose he paced about 10' back and forth for almost 5 mins scolding the top of his lungs at me, turned and faced me with one more scream then took off. I finally did catch the white rabbit and took him to a more comfortable environment and turned him loose.

Last edited:
Back in my younger and stupider days a neighboring farmer asked my friend Tony and I to help him shoot some of the crows on his farm. There was a road through the fields that we would go down to go fishing and the crows would be in the fields watching us. We only had 22s without scopes and 12 ga. shotguns. We managed to shoot a few with the 22s before they got wary of us carrying rifles. We could walk within 50 feet of them carrying a fishing pole, but with a rifle in hand they would take off before we got within 100 yards of them. You could drive down the road and they would just watch you go by. So... Tony came up with a plan. I would drive his blue 58 Chevy while he laid in the back seat with the windows down and the shotgun. When I was passing by the crows I would let him know and he would stick the barrel out the window and shoot. That work a few times and but then when we turned down the road with that car they would take off. So... we borrowed his brothers yellow 59 Ford and got a few more before they wised up to that trick.

You must have heard of this study:
Researchers for the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority found over 200 dead crows near greater Boston recently, and there was concern that they may have died from Avian Flu. A Bird Pathologist examined the remains of all the crows, and, to everyone's relief, confirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian Flu. The cause of death appeared to be vehicular impacts.
However, during the detailed analysis it was noted that varying colors of paints appeared on the bird's beaks and claws. By analyzing these paint residues it was determined that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with trucks, while only 2% were killed by an impact with a car.
MTA then hired an Ornithological Behaviorist to determine if there was a cause for the disproportionate percentages of truck kills versus car kills.
The Ornithological Behaviorist very quickly concluded the cause: when crows eat road kill, they always have a look-out crow in a nearby tree to warn of impending danger.
The scientific conclusion was that while all the lookout crows could say "Cah", none could say "Truck."

KIR

Sparks, NV
It seems to me that an air gun that shoots BB's or pellets might aid in getting rid of them. Still illegal to fire within some city limits though. (I do not advocate breaking the law). You'all watch your backdrop so as you don't hit something or someone.

We don't have to worry about 'overkill' or what's beyond. Most places I/we hunt are private owned(mostly by us) and nothing but snow and trees for a mile in any direction.
Due to the last few days of snow and cold, the crows are back on the bait pile big time. Unfortunately, those same factors limit my time and exposure outdoors. When it gets above freezing again, I'll be after them.
My owl decoy arrived yesterday and should work well on a stand up pole or hanging from a tree branch. ;)

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I made some decoys a while back based on a tip from crow busters . I bought several battery operated birds that actually flapped their wings .They were called "flapping flyers " . They were for in patios and such to be put on a tether . Not as big as an actual crow , but after a gloss black spray paint job they were very effective. The right lower tree limb pulled down really worked . Also there is a "mo jo crow " which is a foam silhouette of a crow that attaches to a 2 foot pole with a plastic motor operated eccentric ,very realistic 😉 . A big duffel bag to transport your gear and your set !

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
My late son-in-law's grandfather could hoot like an owl, That brought crows into handgun range. A .22 WMR in the Ruge Super Single Six was my favorite crow gun.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
A few, well, many now, I had moved my car out of the drive to so some yard work. When I went to move it back, just as I ;t my hand on the door handle, a feminine voice warned, "Ah Aaha!" Instinctively I jerked my hand back. Only to realize a flock of fish crows were flying over.

Bob Wright

nekvermont

Buckeye
Do you have a crow hunting season or can you shoot them anytime? Looks like our season starts today.

Crow (only on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday)Jan 15-Apr 8, 2024
August 19-December 16, 2024

What about Ravens? Do you have them? We have ravens around here that are huge, I'm not sure but I don't think there is an open season on them.

contender

Ruger Guru
Be sure to double check your game regulations. In NC,, we recognize the crows as a Federal Migratory bird,, so there is a season on them. It's kinda weird how it's done,, but it's actually been figured out to where we can get maximum days,, avoid baby raising, and still comply with Federal restrictions.

Ravens aren't listed in the NC regulations.