Crows

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
I try to not let them see me setting up do I can get my sights settled. I want them to never hear the report of the gun. But their buddies,, if you are well concealed,, and they haven't figured out where you are,, you can often get a second one.

Around here,, I have to be REAL sneaky to get one. They have all learned to be wary of me & my truck.

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Running joke growing up shooting in the woods with my buddies, crow would seem to know exactly how far away they had to be for us kids with our BB guns as we got older we had shotguns and again they knew the range of the shot. We we carried rifles they knew to increase the distance even further. It was really uncanny.

I recall a video of a bunch of guys field hunting crows in layup blinds with recorded crow calls.
For what looked like several hours calling in flocks of crows, blazing away with 10 & 12 Ga. What a display of aerobatics. The guys were laughing hysterically and they only wound up with a couple crows. They each ran through boxes of shells. I'll bet there
were some sore shoulders that night.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
There is a website dedicated to crow hunting exclusively "crow busters " . lots of stories , pics of off colored crows etc. Also has a store to buy decoys and such . 😉 Believe it or not recipes to prepare crows for the dinner table ..........😋 yuk . Apparently people eat them ..... Anyway lots of info there .

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I've eaten it a few times, tastes quite similar to Canadian Goose breast meat to me. Not too bad at all if prepared right...😉
Really ! I just can't imagine eating a crow. My hat is off to you 👍 same goes for snakes , ground hogs etc . ...........

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I recall a video of a bunch of guys field hunting crows in layup blinds with recorded crow calls.
For what looked like several hours calling in flocks of crows, blazing away with 10 & 12 Ga. What a display of aerobatics. The guys were laughing hysterically and they only wound up with a couple crows. They each ran through boxes of shells. I'll bet there
were some sore shoulders that night.
Best day I ever had was 27 crows between my self and son in law . We ran out of ammo . I had taken 3 full boxes with me . A good day ... 😊

Don Lovel

Hunter
I had a real nice garden and crows were wrecking my cantelopes and sweet corn. Lived in suburban KC so I used my 5mm Sheridan Blue streak and would set up at the kitchen table with a rest and sliding door open. They would land on phone line then drop onto garden. I picked off 4 the first day I set up. Making about 30yd shots on the phone line from the kitchen. If they dont see or hear you.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
I am convinced that when my 10 year old son is with me, I have better luck. My theory is that they KNOW we are there and as long as we are moving, they can keep an eye on us. When they don't see movement, they spook. This is the reverse of what happens when I take him fishing in the aluminum boat. When Will won't sit still and hush in the boat, the fish spook.
I want to try hanging a flag near my blanket and see if it helps.

epags

Single-Sixer
Either urban crows are very dumb, or they aren't hunted much.
Urban crows are just as smart, maybe smarter then their country cousins. There is a woman who feeds them peanuts......they see her coming and flock around and follow. Another neighbor, now deceased.....so I can tell on him....had to sit in the darkened doorway with his 22LR rifle because if they saw him outside they would depart the neighborhood. Now he had gone, there is a murder of crows around.