Crossbow scopes

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mjpchief

Single-Sixer
What is the difference between a crossbow scope and a rifle scope. Don't know much about crossbows and somebody gave me a pretty decent recurve crossbow and I could use a scope on it.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Most crossbow scopes have a 3 or 4 line reticle for shooting at different ranges. These aiming points would not be suitable for all crossbows and would require some trial and error to determine the actual range at which point of impact coincided with point of aim.
My Barnett has a 3 dot red dot sight which basically hits POA @ 20-30-40 yards with it's 300+fps using 425-450 grain bolts. A slower bow might be close but the dots don't have adjustable separation so the distance spread will be less--instead of 10 yards between dots, you might only have 6-7 yards or the first spread might be 10 yards while #2 and #3 might only be 5-6 yards.

contender

Ruger Guru
There is also something about a crossbow scope that is built differently. It has to do with the different physics of the recoil. I'd check into that.

mjpchief

Single-Sixer
The way the scope is built for recoil is my main concern. I know air rifle scopes are built different for the recoil on an air rifle and was wondering about the crossbow for the same reason. Probably won't be shooting this much and right now I don't want to sink much money into it. If I get hooked on shooting a crossbow I probably would buy a better quality set up.

Thanks for the help.

pete44ru

Hunter

My Son has been an avid bowhunter for over 30 years, and mounted a bow sight that has fibre-optic pins, for optimal results - back when he was using a Matthews compound bow. (Since the law in out state has changed, he sold the Matthews & bought a scoped X-bow.)