Crimping the 45acp...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

arkievol

Bearcat
Background: I shoot only revolvers (lost the use of my left hand in a motorcycle crash) and I reload for .32/327 Fed, .38/357, 44mag/spl and 45 Colt and I use Lee Factory crimp dies for all of them. I just bought a Ruger 45 Blackhawk convertible in 45 Colt/45 APC and Hornady dies for 45 APC. My question is about the Lee Factory Crimp die for 45 APC.

Question: Since I don't shoot semi-autos and use mostly lead bullets for target shooting, I don't need much crimp but I like the "resizing" feature of Lee's crimp dies. Therefore, is the dedicated ACP (taper) crimp die necessary or can I just use the 45 Colt Lee crimp die and use a roll crimp on the 45 ACP loads?

mikld

Blackhawk
I would roll crimp for a revolver in 45 ACP. Do your bullets have a crimp groove? I haven't tried a 45 Colt crimp die on my 45 ACP reloads, so you'd have to give it a try.

Ordguy

Single-Sixer
I use Rolled Crimp in my 45 Auto Rim S&W revolver. When using a taper crimp in the revolver the bullet often goes deeper into the case.

arkievol

Bearcat
I appreciate the advice guys. Lee 45 ACP Taper Factory Crimp die is on the way.

Thanks,
Jack

5of7

Hunter
I would be surprised to find that the Hornady dies that you have do not produce a taper crimp.

EDIT: If your dies have this product number....SKU: 546555 .....they have a taper crimp seater. 8)

arkievol

Bearcat
5of7,

My 45acp dies are 546554, for 45apc/45 auto rim/ 45 win mag. To get a taper crimp for this set requires a separate taper crimp die; part 044172. However, I am not so concerned with the crimp style as with the last step re-sizing feature of the Lee crimp dies. I also checked with Lee Cust. Serv. and they recommended the 45 acp Lee taper crimp die because the 45 acp case would be too short for the 45 Colt die even with modification. We'll see what the future brings. :)

Thanks,
Jack

Pocketfisherman

Bearcat
mikld said:
I would roll crimp for a revolver in 45 ACP. Do your bullets have a crimp groove? I haven't tried a 45 Colt crimp die on my 45 ACP reloads, so you'd have to give it a try.

NO - the 45 ACP cylinder still headspaces on the case mouth in a revolver. Unless the gun's cylinder is cut to allow for moon clips, or you use 45 auto rim brass, you Taper Crimp. With a roll crimp you will get misfires as the brass will simply slide deeper into the chamber when the firing pin strikes it.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I've tried in both my BarSto'd Caspian and Kart'd Springfield Armory 45 ACPs.

I must assume my extractor tuning allowed me to successfully fire 45 GAP......

Dale53

Blackhawk
I run between 5000 and 7500 .45 ACP/.45 Auto Rim through my Ruger Convertible and my Smith 625's a year.

I taper crimp (with the Lee Taper Crimp Die) all of the home cast 200 gr SWC (no crimp groove) that I use. My bullet is the Mihec faithful copy of the H&G #68. I taper crimp to a mouth diameter of .470". I am a SERIOUS shooter and these loads group well under 1" at 25 yards off a rest.

However, when using heavy bullets in the Smith 625 (the NOE copy of the Lyman 454424 250 gr SWC) I use a roll crimp in the crimp groove. When using heavy loads, your bullet can move forward if not sufficiently crimped. I called Lee and asked if I could use the .45 Colt crimp insert in the .45 ACP die. It is a different height from the .45 ACP insert and requires an additional spacer which they can provide. The two pieces are about $7.00 or $8.00 as I remember. At any rate, a phone call to Lee will get you what you might need (ask for a .45 ACP technician so you get the right dope).

So - for normal .45 ACP bullets you taper crimp for the 1911, the Ruger Convertible, and the Smith Model 25/625.

When using heavy bullets (in my case the NOE version of the Lyman 454424) use the extra Lee inserts in the Lee Factory Crimp die for .45 ACP and roll crimp in the crimp groove.

In both cases, it works beautifully...

Here's a picture of the heavy bullet (250 gr SWC in .45 Auto Rim brass in the Smith 625):

Here's a picture of a taper crimp using a 200 gr hollow point cast bullet (in Auto Rim brass):

NOTE: Since the original poster is talking about the Ruger Convertible, the roll crimp loads are NOT to be used in that revolver. He will be limited to ONLY taper crimped bullets in the .45 ACP cylinder as the cartridge headspaces on the case mouth (as stated by another poster). However, Ruger Convertible owners can just use the .45 Colt Cylinder and .45 Colt cases to load heavy bullets (that's the beauty of the Ruger Convertible) at anything from mild to wild.

The Ruger single action can only use .45 ACP cases in the ACP cylinder unless the revolver has been converted so that Auto Rim cases can be used (I just didn't have a picture of the loads in ACP cases).

I gave that information for those who might be using a Smith 625.

FWIW
Dale53