Computer question re cookies

Help Support Ruger Forum:

How many regularly delete ALL the cookies that have been placed on your computer? Have you noticed any difference after deleting them when you then go to different sites that you commonly look at? Looking at the cookies that have been placed on mine (a bunch) to try to delete each one that I don't want would take the proverbal forever but I'm afraid that if I just do a mass delete it might mess something up on sites that I regularly go to that I need to go to (VA, Social Security, DFAS (USAF Retirement pay), prescription services, BATFE, etc.).

I did see a block that I can check to have the cookies removed everything I log off my browser (I currently use Google as my main browser and I'm used to it).

Thanks for any input/advise/comments

fiasconva

Single-Sixer
I have my browser set up to remove all cookies when I log off of it. I've been doing that for years and have never had a problem with it. Maybe I'm just a little too paranoid but I feel like you can't be too safe nowadays.

hittman

Staff member
THIS ….. what fiasconva said.

Used to be that my PC got used 100% of the time I was on line.
Then I got an iPad 4 or 5 years ago.
Now I’ve upgraded to the brand new iPad and if I didnt need a printer on the rare occasion I’d get rid of the PC totally.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
Do a search for "selectively delete cookies" for your browser. You will find
instructions for saving the ones you want. Once you have done that, THEN
set your browser to "delete cookies on exit".

It IS a pain to get set up (tedious, not super technical), but once done, you
are in the clear. :wink:

I'm glad you asked. I found an error in one of mine and corrected it.
Thanks!

37fed

Single-Sixer
Seems like it just loses your saved login info. It freaks me out when I go to checkout online and they already have my name, address and email.

hittman

Staff member
Yeah, every time a PC or other device asks if I want to save that input log-in information, my answer is NO.

Others aren’t as skiddish as me though. :lol:

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
hittman said:
Yeah, every time a PC or other device asks if I want to save
that input log-in information, my answer is NO.
What happens is that your login information is saved IN A COOKIE, on
YOUR system. If you do not allow cookies, your login is not saved,
regardless of you saying yes or no.

I run FireFox and it has a section for cookies that you can specifically allow
or deny cookies, by the specific site URL. - - - Before we changed to the new
format the URL started with http:.... the new one is https:..... That was the
error I mentioned above. - - - I now am logged on as I connect.

Your choice which you use.

:D

contender

Ruger Guru
I'm computer stupid in many ways. I wouldn't mind being able to get cookies deleted, but I don't know how. I use Firefox as a home page,, but when I want to browse,, I start with "startpage" & use it instead of google or whatever.

Where on Firefox is the section on cookies please?

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
contender said:
Where on Firefox is the section on cookies please?
From the Mozilla Firefox page, upper right corner there are three horizontal bars.
Click on them. You will get a drop down menu: select "Settings".
From the next page displayed: select Privacy & Security.
Go down the page to "Cookies and site data"
- - - WARNING WARNING - - - If you click on "Clear Data",
ALL of your cookies will be deleted. :oops:

If you want to add a site, copy the full URL (use CTRL-C to copy it).
Click on "Manage Exceptions", put the cursor in the "Address of Website" field
and use the CTRL-V to insert the url. Then click on "Allow", and click on
"Save Changes" to make that available for cookies.

Once you have added all of the URLs you want, check the "Delete cookies
and site data when Firefox is closed" box.

Like I said, mostly just tedious, but take your time. I do one URL at a pass
(I close Firefox after each addition, then bring up a new copy and verify
that I hit all the right keys . . . :wink: )

OOPS! - - - Forgot one thing: when I say copy the full URL, the one
you want for here is (I'll add blanks so you can see the data, without it being
processed by the forum software) https: //www .rugerforum .com
Leave out the /phpBB3 and all the rest.

Hope that helps. :wink:

:D

NewRuger41

Bearcat
RoninPA said:
How many regularly delete ALL the cookies that have been placed on your computer? Have you noticed any difference after deleting them when you then go to different sites that you commonly look at? Looking at the cookies that have been placed on mine (a bunch) to try to delete each one that I don't want would take the proverbal forever but I'm afraid that if I just do a mass delete it might mess something up on sites that I regularly go to that I need to go to (VA, Social Security, DFAS (USAF Retirement pay), prescription services, BATFE, etc.).

I did see a block that I can check to have the cookies removed everything I log off my browser (I currently use Google as my main browser and I'm used to it).

You could use two different web browsers - one for the sites you login to and don't want to delete cookies and the other browser for the content you don't want saved and do want deleted when you close the browser.

RoninPA said:

Pat is right, you can selectively choose which cookies to clear. In the Google Chrome settings, you can add websites to remain using cookies. I made three screenshots showing what this looks like. I hope this helps. Although I'm not sure why the first picture is out of focus.

Contender, sorry, but I don't use Firefox. I've found it has more viruses than Google Chrome. It used to be a good browser to use, but then Google remade Chrome and Chrome became a pretty nice browser. In my humble opinion...

k1sooSXl.jpg

NXdQtlml.jpg

qUIt8UGl.jpg

Latest posts