Computer acting a little strange lately...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

reloader

Single-Sixer
You may find this interesting.
It was posted a couple months ago, but some of you may have missed it.
There are only 57 comments BTW.
Some good info here and some tools to help deal with it.

http://www.osnews.com/comments/28841

RonT

Buckeye
gramps said:
Can we delete the unwanted Windows 10, that Microsoft surreptitiously downloaded to our computers?
gramps
The Windows 10 download wouldn't happen if you disable automatic updates and do the important and, after your review, the recommended updates manually each day before you go on the net. :)

If you're still using Windows 7, and don't want to upgrade to Windows 10, you can delete the KB3035583 or something like that, update. You may also need to delete the files from the GWX folder, this will require folder permissions.

This will at least prevent the nagging.

I love Windows 10, but not everybody does.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
gramps said:
Can we delete the unwanted Windows 10,
that Microsoft surreptitiously downloaded to our computers?
Sure can.

Three step process:
1) Backup all user data.
2) Issue the command "format c:/s (answer yes the eight or ten times it says
"ARE YOU REALLY SURE?"
3) Load Linux (Mint is the flavor most like Winderz)

You will find it very much like winderz except that it doesn't TELL YOU what
you are to do. It asks questions and accepts YOUR decisions. :roll:

P.S. If you have a 4G thumb drive you can build a "live" disk to load from.
Full instructions on many sites and takes about ten minutes. :D

P.P.S. Be sure you copy off the information on your ISP access and E-mail
information. Saves a LOT of frustration. :D . :D

exavid

Hunter
You wouldn't have W10 if you didn't act to install it. Microsoft provided it for free but it wasn't automatic. In fact it took a couple hours on most computers. If you haven't had it for more than thirty days it's pretty easy to go back. If it's been longer it's more of a job.

Here's a way to go back to 7 or 8:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

reloader

Single-Sixer
Gramps, you might want to download and install an unlocker of some kind to help delete the folder. I used this: http://download.cnet.com/Unlocker/3000-2248_4-10493998.html It took a while to do it. It's a good idea to defrag your hard drive after deleting a large amount of software. I also deleted all the shadow copies and restore points, then made a new restore point after getting rid of the windows 10 directory.
Besure to un-check any other software that this program might come with and just install the un-locker.

Ron and DA, you may be surprised....
I didn't ask for Windows10 on 8 of my 10 computers but it was downloaded to all of them, you may want to carefully read the post and change the settings to show hidden files and folders on your hard drive.

RonT

Buckeye
reloader said:
Gramps, you might want to download and install an unlocker of some kind to help delete the folder. I used this: http://download.cnet.com/Unlocker/3000-2248_4-10493998.html It took a while to do it. It's a good idea to defrag your hard drive after deleting a large amount of software. I also deleted all the shadow copies and restore points, then made a new restore point after getting rid of the windows 10 directory.
Besure to un-check any other software that this program might come with and just install the un-locker.

Ron and DA, you may be surprised....
I didn't ask for Windows10 on 8 of my 10 computers but it was downloaded to all of them, you may want to carefully read the post and change the settings to show hidden files and folders on your hard drive.
You got Windows 10 because you have your update settings to automatic. If you set your option to "never check for updates" and checked daily for updates manually before entering the web you would have a choice as to what updates to download. I download "important" and "recommended" updates daily. The only important thing to remember is to do your check for updates as soon as you turn on your computer for the day.

reloader

Single-Sixer
Ron, I don't have my computers set to auto up-date, there is much more to the story than that. There were a couple of sneaky recommended updates that downloaded this stuff to my computers. They download the complete Windows 10 to a hidden folder on the C: drive even if you did not ask for it. If you read the post in the link you will see that there is some helpful information in it that I'm sure quite a few people who have been affected by this can use. I'm glad it hasn't affect you and you don't have to mess with it. It's a time consuming pain to get rid of.

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
"Can we delete the unwanted Windows 10, that Microsoft surreptitiously downloaded to our computers?
gramps"

Assuming you have some iteration of System Restore you can go to START>>type SYSTEM RESTORE>>select SYSTEM RESTORE and make sure to select your own RESTORE POINT. Pick one that is dated BEFORE the unwanted update. Follow the steps and instructions it will give you without fail. Your machine will travel back to a time without sin; you, however, will still need redemption.

RonT

Buckeye
reloader said:
Ron, I don't have my computers set to auto up-date, there is much more to the story than that. There were a couple of sneaky recommended updates that downloaded this stuff to my computers. They download the complete Windows 10 to a hidden folder on the C: drive even if you did not ask for it. If you read the post in the link you will see that there is some helpful information in it that I'm sure quite a few people who have been affected by this can use. I'm glad it hasn't affect you and you don't have to mess with it. It's a time consuming pain to get rid of.
If I see a "recommended" update that is 3+ GB I sure am not going to download it. As I stated earlier, I have my Windows 8.1 computer set for "never check for updates" that way I CHOOSE what updates to install every day before entering the net.

reloader

Single-Sixer
Ron, you won't see it. It's not a large update it's a very small program that downloads the
Windows10 OS in the background.

reloader

Single-Sixer
Linux may be a good option for some, but I'm stuck with Windows for most of my computers which run software that Linux does not support and hardware that Linux has no drivers for.
I have played around with a couple hundred Linux distros though and believe that the average user that just uses their computer for private use could easily get by using Linux and Open Office or Liber Office. This latest MS BS may increase Linux usage a little bit.....

RonT

Buckeye
reloader said:
Ron, you won't see it. It's not a large update it's a very small program that downloads the
Windows10 OS in the background.
I read about recommended updates that pave the way for Windows 10:
KB3068708
KB3022345
KB3080149
KB3075249
I've also read about Microsoft hiding the 10 upgrade as "recommended" in early 2016 but it would include a pop-up asking if you want it, but I haven't read about 10 being installed without warning and with no action required on your part.
If this is happening, how do I stop it?

Laserbait

Single-Sixer
http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

I use this great little util to make sure that Windows 10 doesn't install.

Latest posts