Component Prices and Time

Help Support Ruger Forum:

magpouch

Single-Sixer
I would pay whatever I had to in order to get 5000 primers and 8lbs of powder if I had none now. We have no idea how long this may last or even if it may get worse. I have seen component prices still rising even though there seems to be more available than 5-6 months ago.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
People see what they want to usually and for some reason a lot of people want to be right about prices never coming down. But the fact remains they almost always come back down to just above where the were. Ammo prices are already down from the highest they were in the last couple years and when people stop over-paying for primers, those will come down too.

Snake Pleskin

Banned
People see what they want to usually and for some reason a lot of people want to be right about prices never coming down. But the fact remains they almost always come back down to just above where the were. Ammo prices are already down from the highest they were in the last couple years and when people stop over-paying for primers, those will come down too.
They will never return to the prices we used to have. They will drop some, but not to where they were. That is the trick. They let you get used to very high prices, then as demand eases, they drop it some, and everyone is happy, not realizing they are still paying too much!

Huskerguy72

Single-Sixer
I don't understand many things in life, these are just a few.

Most everything we use in everyday life has increased in price significantly. Food, fuel, natural gas (I am seeing 50% increases predicted this winter), and most anything requiring a raw material.

Then throw in a high demand for some things, i.e. fuel, raw materials and even ammo.

Add a little dose of regulation and taxes and what would you expect. We can also add supply chain and the ability to increase prices due to demand.

I see ammo everywhere I go but the prices seem high. I reload my own so buying new ammo is not for me but I get asked by others "what's a good price for 9mm or .223".

Prices may fluctuate or even come down some but they will never be close to what we were paying just a couple years ago. There are simply too many variables all going against it happening. I guess it is OK to dream though.

Rich/WIS

Bearcat
Components, particularly primer, are an issue but the situation is improving. Even at todays costs price per round is not bad. Primers for 10cents, powder maybe 2 cents, bullets variable depending on jacketed, plated or lead 8 to 25 cents. Top end for jacketed 37 cents, or @ $18 for 50, cast 20 cents or @ $10 for fifty. Worst case about half the cost of factory and best case abour a quarter the cost of factory. If you do not reload now adding the cost of equipment you pay for the equipment quickly at that savings level.

watashie00

Bearcat
I'm just getting started with reloading (thanks in part to a new LCR .327) and have a question about component prices as I consider buying the components I can get now or waiting it out until we, hopefully, go back to better market conditions.
Sorry if my questions are too basic for this group. Feel free to tell me this is not the place for this post.

I've mostly been looking at components on Midway and Brownell's. What I've been seeing is:
-most powders at in the $30-40 per pound range depending on brand and quantity
-Winchester primers at 8-9 cents each with CCI No. 41 5.56 and No. 34 7.62 primers at 12 cents each
-.355 XTP's for 22 cents/bullet, .312 XTP's for 25 cents/bullet and .357 XTP's and FXT's for about 28-29 cents/bullet
-Hornady flat tail soft point .308's for 35-36 cents/bullet
-New Brass: .327 Mag at 35-40 cents/each, .30-06 at 70-85 cents/each, .357 Mag at 20-40 cents/each (I already have more 5.56 and 9mm brass than I will need in the next decade if I practice like I should)
Some prices are product on clearance (edit: and some currently unavailable).

I only know what 9mm factory prices were like pre-pandemic (17 and ~35 cents per round for my preferred budget WWB115gr FMJ's and JHP's, that was great). So my question is, are these prices worth jumping on now (were there's stock) or do you more experienced members suggest waiting it out? I'm in it for the long-term, so I'm generally able to wait the market out if necessary. Except for .327, I'm probably willing to buy at somewhat silly prices there because I have no stock.

Your wisdom is much appreciated.
So,,,,, everything you said is correct, smart, and logical.... I have reloaded for 35 years,,,, I have also been collecting components for that amount of time,,, I drilled an ammo can put a valve stem in it,, and a pressure guage... I bought sleeves of 5000 primers at a time,,, when full,,through an oxygen absorber packet in. I sealed it with oil on the rubber gasket,,, then evacuated it with an air conditioning pump,,, and then took it to a friends tire shop and had him fill it with Nitrogen to 10 PSI. So far,,, no leaks after 15 years,,,, and no oxidation, since there is no oxygen in there. I have openned them to use,, after 10 years,,, they were not even tarnished,,, or you can use them as you load them,, and not worry about that.... but I had the dubious distinction of being in the Marine Corps and in LA for the LA riots,,,, I will never be caught without ammunition, nor the ability to reload them again

Even after all those years of collecting,,, I can reload my 9mm for about 30 cents,,, So if I can buy ammo under 30 cents a round (more like 50-60 cents a round now) then it is cheaper to buy them than reload,,, for rifle the target price is about 75 cent per round,, my large rifles,, 3006, 270, and 300 Wby and 338 Win,,, I just buy the brass and reload it myself.. My strike price on 22 is anytime it is below 8 cents a round. Which at the moment Walmard has Federal 22 in a box of 325 for $21,,, so I buy $100 bucks of it a month.. Take your time,, watch facebook market place for sales offering "reloading junk my dad had" adds and be quick about it... buy cheap and store for the future,, cause it isnt going to get cheaper,,,, leftists are NOT going to see the err of their ways,,,, the Buffalo are never coming back,,, and the only thing about the good old days,, is that they are gone...

Last edited:

watashie00

Bearcat
I'm just getting started with reloading (thanks in part to a new LCR .327) and have a question about component prices as I consider buying the components I can get now or waiting it out until we, hopefully, go back to better market conditions.
Sorry if my questions are too basic for this group. Feel free to tell me this is not the place for this post.

I've mostly been looking at components on Midway and Brownell's. What I've been seeing is:
-most powders at in the $30-40 per pound range depending on brand and quantity
-Winchester primers at 8-9 cents each with CCI No. 41 5.56 and No. 34 7.62 primers at 12 cents each
-.355 XTP's for 22 cents/bullet, .312 XTP's for 25 cents/bullet and .357 XTP's and FXT's for about 28-29 cents/bullet
-Hornady flat tail soft point .308's for 35-36 cents/bullet
-New Brass: .327 Mag at 35-40 cents/each, .30-06 at 70-85 cents/each, .357 Mag at 20-40 cents/each (I already have more 5.56 and 9mm brass than I will need in the next decade if I practice like I should)
Some prices are product on clearance (edit: and some currently unavailable).

I only know what 9mm factory prices were like pre-pandemic (17 and ~35 cents per round for my preferred budget WWB115gr FMJ's and JHP's, that was great). So my question is, are these prices worth jumping on now (were there's stock) or do you more experienced members suggest waiting it out? I'm in it for the long-term, so I'm generally able to wait the market out if necessary. Except for .327, I'm probably willing to buy at somewhat silly prices there because I have no stock.

Your wisdom is much appreciated.
I bought a bucket of 147 FMj Pulled Military 308s,,, I use them in everything 30 caliber,, except my 7/62 x 39 and a 30 30,,,, I bought them 30 years ago and still have most of them,, they get me on target,,, they zero my scopes at the range,,, and then with a couple clicks I can have my HP or Ballistic Tip ammo on target,,, I have reloaded 3-4 ammo cans full of them in 3006, 300 Wby,, I loaded some 7.62 with them but they were too heavy,,, You can buy military Pulled bullets for VERY cheap,, they are fun at the range,,, get you proficient and keep you there,,, not good for hunting,, at least animals that is,,,, and will punch right though Level 3 and 3a armor,,,, not bad to keep around in a pinch

DGW1949

Hunter
I've been buying my primers with 9mm cases, bullets and some powder attached. If you subtract the cost of 1,000 primers from a case of 9mm, it starts to look like a better deal. I'm saving the few SP primers I have for various .32s and .38s
I hear ya on that one....Just speaking for myself, good, brass-cased 9MM can still be had for less than $13 per box when bought in case lots and later the empties can be sold to a reloader after I've fired 'em....Comparing the cost of doing that to the cost of apples to apples components tells me that reloading 9MM simply ain't worth my time.

DGW

Skeet 028

Single-Sixer
In regards to this "shortage"... Told to me by a Remington VP....and it came true...the old retail price `` will be the new wholesale price. It will be even more this time with the inflation we have. Right now retail prices for primers is about 55-65 per M...wholesale less of course...so Cabela;s buys "em for under 50 bucks. What do they sell 'em for?? Not long ao Scheels had primers for medium high but somewhat cheaper prices. Got 11M for under 70 dollars per M average...but no LRPs...9mm brass cased ammo for 9.99...OTD in Mt. I am still using the last of the primers I got many years ago. The last I used were marked 87 cents a 100....but I bought the new primers to fill the hole forming on my shelves. I can afford what I bought...so guys...if you have a hole on the component shelves do what some are doing with 22 ammo. Stock when you can afford(have the money) the stuff. Cost average later. I've got 50M 22s done a bit at a time usually for cheap.. Look at garage sales etc. Even gun shows I bought a 1000 Rem 6 1/2 SRPs at the last show for 20 bucks...and a pound of 4198 for 15 dollars...21 1/2 gr of 4198 with the 6 1/2 primer is time tested in the 222. And the 6 1/2 was THE SRP when the 222 came out...and can still be used in 223 at mildly reduced charges... keeps ya shooting! At an auction recently I got a pound of Reloader 7 pound of Reloader 11 and a pound of Reloader 21...for 7.50 dollars each. Look at older loading manuals. They can all be used. Shop smart...learn the reloading game

The Preacher

Single-Sixer
What erks me is that the local Sportmans Warehouse, when they get "name brand" primers in, sells them for about six bucks per sleeve. So that's about $60.00 per brick. The kicker is, you're limited to two sleeves or 200 primers per day . (Yes I know one could cheat the system in a number of ways). This has been the price give or take for the last few years. So... Why are all the big name internet suppliers like Midway, Natchez, Grafs etc. why when they get primers in are they selling them for about $100 per brick??? I've come to the conclusion that there's a skunk in the woodpile. Just my thoughts.

I would like to see some of these $50-60/brick primers. My wholesale price is higher than that. I've not seen ANY primers retail any less than my wholesale price. Up until late 2022 I had not seen any primers AT ALL. The local Bass Pro or Academy hasn't had any in three years.

One exception: I have seen some foreign made primers advertised online for less than my wholesale price, but once you put them in the cart, shipping and hazmat put them way over that price. So as far as I am concerned they are priced to get people in the door. Shipping might be higher these days but it ain't that high.

GasGuzzler

Hunter
At least chips are sold by weight still, not by volume. Can't get fooled by volume if you're buying by weight. But coffee and powder are sold by weight and when the manufacturer puts 3/4 the weight in a very similar container then raises the per weight cost, sounds fishy. This is the main reason I absolutely abhor with all be being the disaster that is Trail Boss. So useless and more than a pound of manly powder with less in the container. Sad really.