Comparison of the sp101 .22 revolvers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

3spop

Single-Sixer
I'm wanting an sp101 in 22lr. Does anyone have any knowledge about any pros and cons about each one, new and old version? Got a link to any comparisons anywhere? Thanks for any insight.

DocGP

Bearcat
I have an old model. Only real con's I know are that it is heavy, and the sights are only adjustable for windage. Old version is a 6 shot, new is an 8 shot. I don't have a new version yet, but will at the first opportunity. I wouldn't sell my old one either.

TucsonDirt

Single-Sixer
I have a new version, rear sight is adjustable for windage and elevation.
Front sight is green FO, okay for me but others would like to see a plain blade -- since it's dovetailed in, it should be replaceable but IDK if anyone makes a replacement yet.
Great shooter, hard DA pull but SA is nice (I replaced springs and polished the action a little). Mine is more accurate than I am and a lot of fun to shoot.
No matter which guns I bring to the range. lately the SP101 goes everytime!

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
I had one of the older models for a while.

I remember that 2 of the cylinder chambers had a "hard to extract fired cases" problem when I purchased the gun used from someone who was also having the same problem (same gun, same problem).

I cleaned the gun thoroughly - problem still there.

I polished the sticky cylinder chambers - problem maybe less, but was still there.

You would feel no difference between chambers when chambering a round, only difficult to very difficult to extract fired cases from the two offending chambers. I always suspected rough or oversized chambers.

Sold gun to next owner, who I do not know if he ever solved sticky case issue or not.

eveled

Hawkeye
Is the old 6 shot worth more or less now that the new one is out? Was the 6 shot elevated to collector status? Or is it a gun nobody wants because the new one is better? I can buy an old one for $499 witch I think is too high so I made an offer of $399. Any thoughts? What have the new 8shot sp101's been selling for? I know the msrp is $689. Thanks.

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
I have the new sp. I like it overall. Double action trigger is very heavy. No experience with the old one.
Good luck,
Howard

Sugar River

Buckeye
When Buds had them, they were selling the new version for about $495 shipped. You should be able to find them in that ballpark.

Had an old one about 20 years ago. THought I was getting a nice substitute for the M63. WRONG! It was way too heavy for a 4" trail gun. And the sights were dreadful, for me anyway.
YMMV.

Pete

falrifles

Bearcat
I bought a used four inch full lug version without box or papers for $225. about 15 years ago. They also had a new one in the box for $350. sitting right next to it in the display case. I liked the used one so much that a month later I went back to buy the new one but it was gone. I initially went there to get one of the S&W kit guns. I have never regretted my purchase. My gun is very accurate and shoots to its point of aim. The rear sight blade burried into the top strap was a turn off at first until I actually bought one and used it. Bill Ruger knew exactly what he was doing. The rear sight is certainly protected in the top strap and does not protrude enough to become damaged and provides a great sight picture. I really wish I had bought both revolvers that day. I've not had any issues with the gun at all. Its safe to carry and has an adequate number of shots for its intended use. My own chidren have used it at the range and now my oldest grandson has enjoyed learning to shoot with it.

Some guns are keepers. This is one.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I just bought a new SP101 22 last week and got it to the range yesterday. So far so good. It's very accurate in DA or SA. I put about 350 rounds through it and everything fired and any inaccuracy was more sloppy trigger work on my part when I fired more rapidly in DA.

The SP101 22 is a great revolver I'd recommend to anyone who wants a 22 revolver.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I just bought a new SP101 22 last week and got it to the range yesterday. So far so good. It's very accurate in DA or SA. I put about 350 rounds through it and everything fired and any inaccuracy was more sloppy trigger work on my part when I fired more rapidly in DA.

The SP101 22 is a great revolver I'd recommend to anyone who wants a 22 revolver.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I recently bought the new SP-101 4" in .357 which is the same as the .22 but with fewer, bigger holes. The fully adjustable rear sight is very good and I'm a fan of fiber optic front sights so it's just what I wanted.

As noted, the DA pull is rather heavy and the SA pull pretty decent. I did replace the factory grips with Hogues, which I've done on other SP-101's I've had The accuracy and "shootability' of mine is very good. you will be pleased.

eveled

Hawkeye
eveled said:
Is the old 6 shot worth more or less now that the new one is out? Was the 6 shot elevated to collector status? Or is it a gun nobody wants because the new one is better? I can buy an old one for $499 witch I think is too high so I made an offer of $399. Any thoughts? What have the new 8shot sp101's been selling for? I know the msrp is $689. Thanks.

He finally took the $400.00 offer I could not be happier with it. I like the look of the full lug and I wanted it to be a six shot. Ed

liamscurls014-1.jpg

magnaportssk

Bearcat
P9185811.jpg

Here is my 4", cut to 3" and polished up a little, by Mag-na-Port. It is very accurate and almost always goes along on hunting or fishing trips. And the trigger is smooth, predictable and light...mostly shot in double action mode. Wears Badger grips now, fitted and refinished with 320 sandpaper.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Hope you enjoy your new revolver. I bought one of the old ones a while back. I looked a the new ones, but decided to stay with the older model. I liked the balance with the full lug. I did not like the blade front sight and have replaced it with a fibre sight. My old eyes do better with that than the blade. I could fix the front sight, I couldn't practically weld on a lug. Really I couldn't notice any other obvious differences other than weight and sights. I bought a matching 357 when the came out and the pair is a great match. I also added finger groove grips that have really improved my shooting with them as well. I've sold all my other revolvers except these two and my Performance Center 44 mag. The trio fills my revolver needs.
Bfly

3spop

Single-Sixer
I started this thread 2 months ago, and I still don't have one. :-(
Hard to come by at a fair price.

PECKER

Single-Sixer
The only complaint i have is i can't seem to locate a good leather holster for the 4.2"barrel 8 shot sp101. I can find 2 an 3" holsters all day long :(

Latest posts