Cleaning recommendations

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OK, I've got back from the range and have to clean brass again - I've held off on getting a new tumbler after the Midway died, and have just been cleaning some by hand in my spare time. I've been thinking of trying the ultrasonic cleaner route this time - I don't usually have more than a hundred or so pistol or rifle cases to do at a time. I'm interested in hearing about any new(er) products you might have tried and liked - or tried and hated, or anything in between, either ultrasonic cleaners or tumblers. I don't have to have beautiful brass that I can use for a mirror, but I do want it to be clean.

I realize this might be like starting an "oil thread" in a motorcycle forum - but we'll see how it goes. I haven't been shopping for tumblers and cleaners until just recently, and there seems to be alot of new ones out there.

Thanks in advance for any info

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I like clean brass also but being very budget conscious I have not had the desire to buy an ultrasonic cleaner. My Lyman 'Turbo' does a good job with media from the pet store and a shot of case polish. :D

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

If "clean" is good enough and "shiny" isn't a consideration, "The World's Cheapest Tumbler" should serve you just fine:

Get one of those Folgers plastic coffee "cans" and lid. Put a squirt of Dawn dishwashing liquid in (I use blue, cuz I think that's the color Dawn's supposed to be, but people have told me it also cleans better than the other colors. Ok... if you say so!) and some warm water. Add 100 cases or so (pistol sizes), put on the lid, take outside, cuz it's gonna leak sooner or later. Hold lid on firmly and shake for two or three minutes. Drain soapy water and pour cases into a strainer of some sort and rinse well. Set 'em out on a cookie sheet to dry--turn 'em on their sides--and you're ready to go in a couple of hours. If it's cold or damp, you can put 'em in the oven at the lowest temp for maybe 10 minutes to get 'em warmed up, then take 'em out and let 'em dry.

Rick C

Well, Rick certainly gets the award for lowest retail price unit available! But, as I have been sorta doing something similar to that and want to relieve myself of some of the burden of shaking&wiping, I'm hoping for something a bit more automated..

Jim Puke

Hunter
Rick Courtright said:
Hi,

If "clean" is good enough and "shiny" isn't a consideration, "The World's Cheapest Tumbler" should serve you just fine:

Get one of those Folgers plastic coffee "cans" and lid. Put a squirt of Dawn dishwashing liquid in (I use blue, cuz I think that's the color Dawn's supposed to be, but people have told me it also cleans better than the other colors. Ok... if you say so!) and some warm water. Add 100 cases or so (pistol sizes), put on the lid, take outside, cuz it's gonna leak sooner or later. Hold lid on firmly and shake for two or three minutes. Drain soapy water and pour cases into a strainer of some sort and rinse well. Set 'em out on a cookie sheet to dry--turn 'em on their sides--and you're ready to go in a couple of hours. If it's cold or damp, you can put 'em in the oven at the lowest temp for maybe 10 minutes to get 'em warmed up, then take 'em out and let 'em dry.

Rick C

Somewhat like Rick's suggestion, I wash mine in a vinegar/Dawn solution, shake, let them sit for about 10 minutes, then drain and rinse well. I just spread them out on cardboard in the garage for them to dry overnight. It gets them clean, but they do not shine like tumbled brass will.

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I do mine with a mixture of unsweetened lemonade Koolaid (AKA citric acid) and some dish detergent. A gentle shake and soak for a few minutes. I mix the Koolaid stronger than drink recipe.

Doesn't clean the primer pockets out, but the brass looks pretty good when it comes out.

Rinse and air dry a couple days.

Tellico

Buckeye
Rick Courtright said:
Hi,

Rick C

What Rick said + add a generous squirt or two of "Real Lemon" juice from concentrate.

Fred

cruzerlou

Buckeye
I've tried Rick's fix and it works just fine .Your cases won't be "bright,like new "clean, but they will be good enough to reload .I have a very old upright tumbler and I use crusned walnut chips in it .It will get them newe looking but it takes a long time 2-3 hours and the pan will only hold 50 or so .44 mag cases and maybe 30 .308 at a time . The dawn way is clean enough .
Lou

Anybody got a spare folgers plastic jug? I don't drink that much coffee at home! I just use an oiled cloth to wipe down the cases as I check for cracks/splits etc. I only reload for revolver at present.
gramps

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
gramps said:
Anybody got a spare folgers plastic jug? I don't drink that much coffee at home! I just use an oiled cloth to wipe down the cases as I check for cracks/splits etc. I only reload for revolver at present.
gramps
Buy a big jug of pretzels or other food item with a large screw top lid at Wally World. :D :D

Jimbo357mag said:
gramps said:
gramps
Buy a big jug of pretzels or other food item with a large screw top lid at Wally World. :D :D
Good idea jimbo. I use my peanut jars to tumble lube.
gramps