Mini 14 cleaning rod guide

Help Support Ruger Forum:

fa38

Bearcat
I have over 1800 loaded .223 rounds that were loaded in 1987 or 1988 for another rifle back when I was shooting P dogs. I just purchased a Mini 14 and I have to run them through a full length die to size the case body down to get them into the Mini 14. Then I have been seating the bullets a bit deeper into the case to break any seal between bullet and case. Accuracy at 50 yards has gone from over 7 inches to slightly more than 2 inches with the bullets seated deeper.

I need to clean this rifle every so often and I don't like just running a rod down the barrel without a rod guide. What I need is a cleaning rod guide that I can slip over the muzzle of the rifle. Does anyone make something like that for the Mini 14?

fa38

Bearcat
I have looked at the Dewey guide but it is for a series 580 Mini 14. My Mini 14 is a 188 series and the muzzle has a short .510 section and a longer .550 section before the front sight.

Since Dewey specifically mentions the 580 series it probably has a different diameter muzzle diameter than a 188 series rifle. I may be able to alter the Dewey guide to fit my rifle.

I would rather clean with a bore guide than a pull thru like the Bore Snake or the Otis system.
Thanks for your reply

recumbent

Buckeye
Look what I found by using Google
https://www.sinclairintl.com/gun-cleaning/rod-guides/bore-guides/muzzle-guides/ruger-min-14-muzzle-guide-prod33896.aspx

fa38

Bearcat
Thanks for the effort but on the right side of the Sinclair ad it says it is no longer available.

I did order the one to fit the 580 series of Mini 14's in the hope that it will fit or that I can modify it to fit.

On the real M-14s, I used in match shooting. A empty 12ga hull fit over the flash hider. Just drill out the primer hole to fit the cleaning rod. That likely will not work on a mini-14, unless you have a flash hider, but look for something around your gun bench that could be slipped over the barrel and a rod pushed through it.

loaded round

Hunter
Have you considered using a Bore Snake? Just drop the small brass tip into your Mini-14 chamber, invert it and pull it out through the muzzle. I use Bore Snakes exclusively in my two match AR-15 and am 100% pleased with them. Any gun store will have them and they are available also online.