Chrome slide on an LCP - How much is it worth ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

welldoya

Single-Sixer
I'm about to buy an LCP and have an opportunity to buy with or without the hard chrome slide. How much extra $ would the chrome slide be worth to you if you were buying ?
I assume the main benefit is extra protection against rust ? Any issues with the coating causing malfunctions ?

welldoya

Single-Sixer
We are talking Florida here so it's humid. I guess maybe I should have asked about any issues with humidity affecting the standard blue slide and is the chrome that much better ?

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
It's about a $30 difference in price between the base model and the current TALO model with the chromed barrel and slide. I ended up with the TALO model because it's what they had in the store the day I wanted one.

The standard model is a phosphate type finish that I wouldn't expect to stand up to a lot of wear. The chrome might help in your humid environment, but not as much as stainless would.

-- Sam

welldoya

Single-Sixer
I was told $45 difference but he quoted me a great price on the standard model in the first place.
Any issues with chrome affecting the operation ? I'm sure it doesn't add much to the thickness of the slide but sometimes it doesn't take much to affect operation.

welldoya

Single-Sixer
I told him I will take whichever comes in first. I think he's getting both in next week. I think I'll be satisfied with either one.

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
Well there's Florida and then there's Florida :?: I had my blued slide LCP in Florida (N. Central - Gainesville) for 5 months (Oct - Feb) carried it quite frequently (in a pocket holster) and it showed no signs of wear (even though I know I COULD have done a much better job of taking care of it - like wiping it down with a silicon cloth after each carry.) OTOH, if I would have carried it 24/7 IWB in say SoFLA, & say May - Sep, then I'm not sure that it would have faired that well.

Personally, I don't care for flash. Even though most "hard chrome" is dull like stainless steel, I'd prefer my slide black. I'd really like to find an after market process that can do Black Nickel.

StaySafe
MG

Texasgunner

Single-Sixer
welldoya":je0wdm5p said:
I told him I will take whichever comes in first. I think he's getting both in next week. I think I'll be satisfied with either one.

If he gets one take a look at the engraved slide mdl 8)