Choose your poison

Help Support Ruger Forum:

You can only have handguns in one caliber- what will it be?

• Total voters
I know no one can eat- I mean choose- just one (this ain't Lays tater chips). But the .357 vs 10mm thread showed me just how passionate we get over anything. And I know there are more calibers out there. Sorry if yours didn't make my poll. Do your own! :LOL: These are what I consider the more mainstream cartridges (and it's my poll) that I could choose from. I was limited to 10 choices on the poll. So, for whatever terrible reason- you must now downsize to one caliber for your hogleg. What'll you have (no Pabst Blue Ribbon)?

Last edited:
Dang, but Cholo's answer really made sense in a way I never thought of before. Here are some other ideas to consider along this line of thought:
1. How easy will the ammo be to find?
2. Long term reliabilty/Access to parts?
3. Ability to upgrade (.38 to .357, etc.)
4. As mentioned above, used in rifle as well as pistol.
5. Able to be quieted (suppressed) adequately for stealth
6. Able to shoot it single-handed if necessary
7. Will it look good in my pickup truck? ( Had to do that one! o_O)

The only answer that makes sense is the .50 AE Desert Eagle........right?

But aren't the 22lr/22Mag, 38 spl/357 mag, etc. actually two guns?

Why not 45 Colt/ 45 acp???
Because my NM BH .45 doesn't have the .45 ACP convertible cylinder, and it's my poll ;) So I based it on what I have/had laying around. Seriously, it's because usually .45 acp is generally considered as a 1911 or similar platform. I suspect most people think of an auto with .45 ACP, and not a cylinder swap on a revolver. I did figure someone would point it out.

Last edited:
Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Although I'm a big sixgun fan (hence my name on this and other forums), I picked .45 ACP, and I'm thinking 1911 platform. My reasoning was that my primary reason for a sidearm will always be self or home defense, and in my opinion nothing does that better than .45 ACP. Other firearms needs can be met with various long guns. With .45 ACP I can go full GI size 1911, Commander/Combat Commander, or Officer's Model size. I have all 4 variations. Plus there are other options (S&W Shield compact size, revolvers, Glocks, and many others).