How much was your first house?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

We lived in a rented place for a year after marriage. First 'owned house' was a second hand 12x44 mobile home. Cost $3200. Lived there about 5 years before the farm where we now live came up for sale.
Life was stressful but in a way simpler back then. Had NO money so didn't have to worry about how to spend--just food, electricity, and and insurance.

I built my first house, with some help from my dad. It was only 880 sq ft total. 2 br, 1 bath. It was a pay-as-I-went dream, as I had no credit. Started digging a footer by hand at age 21 in 1983; finished the house, got married and moved in 2 years later. I did all the work myself, except for framing/rafters (my dad and my brother-in-law helped me do those). Rafter pitch and angle are a puzzle to me, but my brother-in-law can read a square. I dug the footer, poured the concrete, laid the blocks, did the wiring, plumbing, shingling, etc... I ended up with almost $19k in it. I bargain-shopped for sheetrock, lumber, paneling, etc...

Last edited:

Rich/KY

Bearcat
1991: First house we bought since I was in the Army and this was our retirement home. About 3200 sq ft living space with five bedrooms, master with en-suite on first floor, second floor with full bath and three double bedrooms and a small single. Big kitchen, dining room, living room, office and half bath. Two car garage and full basement. Old barn, 36X54 machine shed, and a few old buildings. Came with 60 acres. Paid $130K and probably spent another $100K over the next 20 years renovating, remodeling, adding an attached greenhouse and $42K adding an adjoining 72 acres. My son has the house and 17 acres now and he and his wife also did some serious remodeling. Not sure the current value but likely in the $500K plus range.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
1974: $25,400. One acre lot, 2 bedroom expandable cape cod, 2 car garage that was formerly used as a summer cottage. Garage was 30 years old, house was 20.

1974 - 1988: $2,000 spent adding 2 bedrooms in the upstairs, finished the basement and did landscaping.

1988: $62,000 Sold the house.

2020: $320,000 is what the next owners sold the house for after adding a family room addition and updating the kitchen and bath.

The house that I actually own now and paid for is a 2 bedroom 1 bath ranch on a 107'x140' lot that cost 68K in 1999. I paid off 2 places for my parents which I had stolen from me because the deeds were filed in my dad's name for the senior tax break when he turned 65. The will wasn't filed so the property went to my mother when he died. I got 14K from the sale of those properties and the rest of my dad's 1.3M estate was blown for drugs and gambling and toys by people who never worked for anything.

Don Lovel

Hunter
Tulsa 1985 $42,500
It was a HUD flip that ALL of the plumbing, gas lines and roof leaked after the flipping realtor sold it. We protested with the lendor and gave deed in lieu of foreclosure after staying there 8 months rent free and minimal damage to our credit.

rem58sport

Bearcat
1980, 1,300 sf 3 & 2 split level, new track home 45 minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge - $69K @ 19% interest.