Carry Ammo Lc-9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

richmarz

Bearcat
What is the consensus on a good choice carry personal defense round for an lc-9?
Have about 800 rounds through mine have fired several different brands and styles, no steel! have not had one single issue with misfires of any kind. Do have Galloway recoil springs and and stainless guiderod, considering trigger upgrade just not sure A} dont want to be without gun for 2 weeks and B} I am used to long trigger pull and [I know its weird but kind of like it]. So that being said just curios what others with like weapons are using.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Far as the ammo, Can't go wrong with Critical Defense, or even Critical Duty. Gold Dots a good choice as well. What weight of bullet I won't comment on as I don't own a 9mm.

MikeyLikeCarbonFiber

Single-Sixer
I currently have Fiocchi Extrema XTP Hollow Points in my SR9c. I shot a mag of fhen at the range to see how they are and I was very happy with them. They also have a little something in them and make a big flash coming out of the muzzle.
I got them for a great price at MidwayUSA.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
MikeyLikeCarbonFiber said:
I currently have Fiocchi Extrema XTP Hollow Points in my SR9c. I shot a mag of fhen at the range to see how they are and I was very happy with them. They also have a little something in them and make a big flash coming out of the muzzle.
I got them for a great price at MidwayUSA.

I'll have to try some of those myself. Yah know I've yet to see Fiocchi ammo anywhere in my area despite frequenting many local stores. I guess I'll look at midway a little.

MikeyLikeCarbonFiber

Single-Sixer
One of my LGS turned me on to Fiocchi in .223 for my AR. I was very happy with the performance of the round and how clean my AR was after shooting 250 rounds though it. Most of what I buy now (9, 40, 45 and 223) are Fiocchi. They sometimes aren't always the cheapest but I've never had one FTF or FTE and as I said above, a very clean and accurate ammo.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
One of my LGS turned me on to Fiocchi in .223 for my AR. I was very happy with the performance of the round and how clean my AR was after shooting 250 rounds though it. Most of what I buy now (9, 40, 45 and 223) are Fiocchi. They sometimes aren't always the cheapest but I've never had one FTF or FTE and as I said above, a very clean and accurate ammo.

Right on, I picked up a Mini-14 the other day and I'm starting at only about 60 .223 rounds so far for it, half cheapo Rem. FMJ, and the other half Hornady hollow point "Varmit" rounds. I'm looking for something to boost my ammo count. I'd like to keep about 500 rounds on hand. I don't mind paying a hair more if its going to be reliable ammo. While asking around on what type of round would be the best to stockpile I kept hearing about the 5.56 "Green Tip" armor piercing ammo as a good choice. Maybe I'll see if Fiocchi has a similar equivalent. Thanks for the tip. As I understand it the Mini version I have shoots either 5.56 or .223 without preference. Its the ATI tactical model with folding/ adjustable stock and rails.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
richmarz said:
What is the consensus on a good choice carry personal defense round for an lc-9?
Have about 800 rounds through mine have fired several different brands and styles, no steel! have not had one single issue with misfires of any kind. Do have Galloway recoil springs and and stainless guiderod, considering trigger upgrade just not sure A} dont want to be without gun for 2 weeks and B} I am used to long trigger pull and [I know its weird but kind of like it]. So that being said just curios what others with like weapons are using.

Rich after reading my last reply I felt as if I was hijacking your thread off topic, sorry. :D So back to your point. I just wanted to say if you have 800 rounds through it, with no problems at all, man, I really wouldn't mess with it personally with aftermarket parts. Its just an opinion but it seems like you have (in its current state) a very good and reliable gun you could bet your life on. Plus if you like a long pull I know the LC9's got one, I've dry fired it several times. Just advice, take it or leave it. :) But if it's working that well for you, I'd say don't change a thing.

MikeyLikeCarbonFiber

Single-Sixer
Rei40c said:

Right on, I picked up a Mini-14 the other day and I'm starting at only about 60 .223 rounds so far for it, half cheapo Rem. FMJ, and the other half Hornady hollow point "Varmit" rounds. I'm looking for something to boost my ammo count. I'd like to keep about 500 rounds on hand. I don't mind paying a hair more if its going to be reliable ammo. While asking around on what type of round would be the best to stockpile I kept hearing about the 5.56 "Green Tip" armor piercing ammo as a good choice. Maybe I'll see if Fiocchi has a similar equivalent. Thanks for the tip. As I understand it the Mini version I have shoots either 5.56 or .223 without preference. Its the ATI tactical model with folding/ adjustable stock and rails.

MidwayUSA has 200 rounds of Fiocchi .223 and an ammo can for $89.99. Ends up being $22.50 per box of 50 and a free ammo can.

Bud0505

Single-Sixer
richmarz said:

I've got Speer 124gr JHP in my LC9. I also added a Galloway stainless steel guide rod and a 20# recoil spring. I fired approximately 500 rounds before changing the rod and spring and have fired another 500 plus after the change without any failures.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
In 9mm there is an overwhelming plethora of decent ammo, with *best* being an impossability, being dependent on one's particular set of indivoidual philosophical preferences.

For the most part whatever ammo you prefer in a standard size 9mm will also perform well in a subcompact. The additional variable would be contolability in your hands.

Any of the major 115-124-127gr rounds should be at least *plently darn good enough* . Within that , deciding factors would be : reliability in your gun. POA/POI . Accuraccy in your gun. Consistant local availability. And even price. And the better of the Stone Age rounds are still as good as ever.

I know Hornaday spends a zillon $ advertising their Critical Defense/ Duty ammo , but of that type of ammo I still prefer CorBon's PowerBall. I primarilly use it for specific purposes for the unquestioned feed reliability. For proven pistols/ mags I am happy with conventional JHPs.

As a random sample , my full sizes would be found with CorBon 115 jhp , Federal 9BPLE (115 +P+ ) or Gold Dot

Polymer subcompacts use std vel 115s .

RICHGCOOP said:
I use Hornady critical defense. I think it's the best. Gold Dot is another good one. I only use the 115gr bullet.

RICHGCOOP

+1. I can see conceal weapons being loaded with either of the above mentioned, as quite effective.

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Critical Defense is a great choice, Critical Duty is more suited for full size pistols with longer barrels. Critical Defense was designed to perform best in compact pistols with short barrels.

cluznar

Bearcat
I agree with Hornady Critical Defense, it is very nice shooting ammo. Carry it in my Bersa Thunder .380 and also my SR9c.

richmarz

Bearcat
Well got a wild hair the other day and impulse bought a SR9c .. Wow what a great call I really do love my lc9 but this SR9c is a beauty to shoot, it is a world of difference in firing as far as trigger neither being bad both being different from each other. Had to be sure to kill a few mags in the lc after shooting the SR as lc is my regular carry (for now)

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Speer Gold Dot or Rem Golden Sabre for me, but then my LC9 is not carried off-property much.
the GS is actually a "3rd gen of the old Black Talon" bullet, designed by the same guy and updated over the past 20 years. It opens and it works.
The GD is a solid performer and consistent as anything made.