Cabelas selling "Refurbished" GP100's. ?????????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ridge Runner

Bearcat
Anyone know if this is a one gun kind of thing or are there a lot of refurbished GP100's out there?

Gun looks LNIB and did not have a previous owner.

Anyone have experience or knowledge about these?

Ridge Runner

Bearcat
Blackmore said:
So Cabela's is calling the "U", "*", "S" (for second) or whatever-this-year's-term-is guns Ruger sells them "refurbished" now?

I do not understand what you mean???

Alpo

Bearcat
I'll take two!
(Worst that can happen is a trip back to NH)

BlkHawk73

Hunter
If it's really "refurbished" I'd ask for the paperwork verifying it. Never heard of any such program offered by Ruger. Then again, this is Cabella's so I wouldn't take their claim too seriously. Watched at the local store a customer looking at a SP101 when the clerk said "we have a blued one too, let me go try and find it." Same place where they deem used guns being worth MORE than brand new and used priced above new msrp.

Blackmore

Blackhawk
Ridge Runner said:
Blackmore said:
So Cabela's is calling the "U", "*", "S" (for second) or whatever-this-year's-term-is guns Ruger sells them "refurbished" now?

Many years ago Ruger had a program where they marked guns - that had for example; been to SHOT or the NRA show, had pix taken for a catalog, salesman's samples, cosmetic blems, returned and repaired but customer was given a new gun - with a "U" before the S/N. This was later changed to a "*".`Finally, they stopped marking them at all and just kept track of serial numbers and put a big "S" on the box (see below). Each month there was a used gun list. These were sold at a generous discount first to employees and then 4 particular FFLs. The program was originally set up by Mr. Ruger, Sr. and continued after his death and Junior's leaving the company. About three years ago under the current mgmt., 3 of the FFLs lost the privilege. Now most of the guns go to Cabela's with one remaining FFL getting a chance at the list, too. Employees can now buy guns more frequently transferring through an FFL of their choice. I'm unsure if they buy off the list or get new guns or both.

102013_S_box_no_S_N.jpg

Ridge Runner

Bearcat
Blackmore said:
Ridge Runner said:
Blackmore said:

Many years ago Ruger had a program where they marked guns - that had for example; been to SHOT or the NRA show, had pix taken for a catalog, salesman's samples, cosmetic blems, returned and repaired but customer was given a new gun - with a "U" before the S/N. This was later changed to a "*".`Finally, they stopped marking them at all and just kept track of serial numbers and put a big "S" on the box (see below). Each month there was a used gun list. These were sold at a generous discount first to employees and then 4 particular FFLs. The program was originally set up by Mr. Ruger, Sr. and continued after his death and Junior's leaving the company. About three years ago under the current mgmt., 3 of the FFLs lost the privilege. Now most of the guns go to Cabela's with one remaining FFL getting a chance at the list, too. Employees can now buy guns more frequently transferring through an FFL of their choice. I'm unsure if they buy off the list or get new guns or both.

102013_S_box_no_S_N.jpg

So if I understand you, these guns are essentially used samples or customer returns? The refurbishing does not automatically mean that something was wrong with them, just that they could have been slightly used in some way?

hittman

Staff member
Ridge Runner said:
So if I understand you, these guns are essentially used samples or customer returns? The refurbishing does not automatically mean that something was wrong with them, just that they could have been slightly used in some way?

Correct.

I also see locally Sig Sauer and Taurus guns that are factory refurb or factory reconditioned too. I think Sig may even take batches of police trade-ins, run them through the factory for function checks, touch up the finish, put them in new boxes, send them back out for resale, etc.

Blackmore

Blackhawk
Ridge Runner said:

The understanding was that Ruger backed there 100% mechanically and for function, but don't try and send them back for a cosmetic flaw like a scuff, scratch or crooked or light roll mark.

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
Ridge Runner said:
I also see locally Sig Sauer ....... guns that are factory refurb or factory reconditioned too. I think Sig may even take batches of police trade-ins, run them through the factory for function checks, touch up the finish, put them in new boxes, send them back out for resale, etc.

Sig has had a "refurb / recondition" program for years. Like you say, mostly for their LE trade-ins or other guns they get back in in large batches. These guns (except for some re-finishing problems that crop up from time to time) are generally good deals. They mark the re-furbed Sigs with a (removable) paper band around the grip (as a badge of honor), and offer them for sale through their dealers in a red plastic box as opposed to the regular black boxes.

If you ever see a Sig in a red box, take a look at it.

The other thing to look for is any other markings on the guns (CAI comes to mind). If the gun was used by a police dept (especially Canada or other foreign countries) CAI buys a lot of these and then resells them.

As said previously, look for any unique markings (S, U, *, C.A.I. etc.). They could be on the crane or stamped near the s/n. The CAI would be somewhere on the frame or even the barrel.

chet15

Hawkeye
Blackmore...are all the boxes for the "used" guns coming out of the factory with the large "S" then? I know the guns aren't marked any more, and haven't been for a few years now.

An interesting story when I had the chance the visit the Southport and Newport plants in July 1991 (two weeks before Southport manufacturing ceased!), I brought up the subject of "used" guns with the manager who was showing us around, since these specially marked guns were pretty popular with collectors at that time and he emphatically stated in a raised tone "We don't make Used Guns!!". Funny, huh?
Chet15

6gun

Hunter
BlkHawk73 said:
If it's really "refurbished" I'd ask for the paperwork verifying it. Never heard of any such program offered by Ruger. Then again, this is Cabela's so I wouldn't take their claim too seriously. Watched at the local store a customer looking at a SP101 when the clerk said "we have a blued one too, let me go try and find it." Same place where they deem used guns being worth MORE than brand new and used priced above new msrp.

Have noticed that also that most all Cabella's used guns are priced higher than new ones, looking for a deal there is like looking at used guns listed on Armslist where all the sellers want more for used guns than new ones, when our local Cabela's first opened two years ago they had 16 Ruger LCR's that all said perviouly owned on the price tags at the new gun counter, never could figure out where they got so many used ones and all at a store that just opened, refurbished from Ruger or sent from other stores? :?

DonD

Single-Sixer
BlkHawk73 said:
Same place where they deem used guns being worth MORE than brand new and used priced above new msrp.

Now THAT's a sick sales philosophy. On some very rare occasions, I've seen car dealers with used cars priced absurdly close to the new ones on the sales floor. Don

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Well all I can add is that I've sent/taken more than a couple guns back to the Prescott factory for non-failure reasons, and have never had any of the guns marked.
In fact all those guns were returned in a new box and brown "shipper" with a bar code label that included my full name! Included each time was a receipt of course showing work done and # of test rounds fired.
Even when (a few years back) I sent a beat-up Speed Six back and was returned a LIKE-NEW gun with extensive work and replacement, no special marks on the gun or box.

I'm betting Cabela's has a small run from a distributor that involve a police return batch with not much work done if any; probably cosmetic and test fired? Anyone else have a theory?

Blackmore is correct with his post. I have purchased numerous guns in the last couple of years from the one remaining FFL that has access to the "Used Gun List" which includes the following:

1. factory blemish - I have a 10/22TD so marked on the box.
2. Factory Second- stamped on end label or box
3. Second-can be used, refurb, blemish- marked with a large, handwritten "S" on box.
4. Used- stamped on box

In addition , boxes have notes such as "Shot Show" or "NRA Show" handwritten on box. There does not appear to be any real system but depends on who, where and when the guns are determined not to be sold as factory new.

The large "S" seems to be the latest iteration of Ruger's identification of guns to be sold as such.

I purchased my GSR just PRIOR to official release as it was one of the rifles sent to Gunsite for the official Press introduction and has a low serial number.

It appears that Ruger is selling these type of guns thru One distributor exclusively to Cabelas. I believe the agreement is that they have to buy ALL such firearms to get this deal.

Hope this helps.

Major T

Blackhawk
Sometimes stuff happens at Cabelas.

A few years ago, SIL and grandson were looking for new editions of Beretta Semi-auto shotguns of the day. MSRP was just under$1300. They started out one way, I went another. I found several at Cabelas, that had been used the week before at a quail unlimited bash as demos. Four or five were still NIB and priced under $700. I called my crew and they bought three. A few hours later another SIL showed up, saw and liked. We returned to Cabelas and bought yet another. As we were doing the paper work a manager came by, saw the deal, and told the Clerk that those shotguns were WAY under priced and to pull the rest and raise them to $1095.

Better to be lucky than good.

The observations of most of you are correct. Most of the time the Cabelas folks are a bunch of idiots as to used gun prices.

Jack

Latest posts