Bug-out gun??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have 2 Ruger 9mm PC9s and a Security 9, all using the same magazines. Being a NATO round ammo should be easier to find.

But for me, in my Bug-Out bag is my 10/22 take-down, over 500 rounds of 22LR ammo, my LCR in 22, two flashlights, two knives, and 8 magazines. The TD bag has shoulder straps for back packing.

In my truck I carry a bag of cold weather clothes, lights, candles, knives and hatchets.

If I ever actually have to get out, I'd put my Tracker 500 on the trailer with spare gas cans and hit it.

I'm staying put.
Yep. I'm 77 and have had my share of health issues. Over the years I've got bit by the survival bug a few times but not seriously. Each time I think through all the items needed- way beyond just guns and ammo. I always reached the same conclusion-"screw it I'm far too lazy". And at 77 dealing with what body parts will fall off today my enthusiasm has diminished even more. Think I will stick with the Alamo Defense-AR 556, 9mm Glocks, Sub 2000 MSeries, lots of .22s, and plenty of ammo for all. Take out as many as I can and hopefully found under a pile of brass. I am missing a shotgun and have been thinking about one, but my back is fused from T4-S1 and I've had major rotator cuff surgery with pins hold the tendon in my right shoulder-a bit leery of shotguns.

Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
I don't know how far you're going to bug out to but every town (small or large) and every bridge over another road or river will be a possible choke point/check point by other armed individuals. I have friends and relatives in country areas between 45 minutes and two hours away that would be ideal over my home in the suburb BUT, I'd have to get to them. Every mile farther from home is one more chance closer to getting stopped, robbed and killed so I'll be staying right where I am. I'll take my chances with known terrain and possible types of people encounters. I had a guy I worked with who said he'd head to his relatives in Tennessee (from Ohio). I brought up the problem with possible choke point/check points and said unless you were ready to go in an instant, the odds of getting there would be astronomical.
I had concerns years ago about what to do. Plus, I have a lot of storage "things" for the long haul that I'd need a good sized trailer to carry. Some folks will move in motorhome and truck with trailers and that will just advertise that you have stuff and supplies you have.....and you'll get stopped or run out of gas in inevitable traffic jams. I know the concept of bug out is just one or a few people making their way on foot with minimal gear. Most folks of families will not do that. Kids and the elderly won't last long! I'll stay right here and take my chances of being able to outlast the "scumbags" with the help of a few relatives and trusted neighbors. Only have to wait until the masses die of starvation or kill each other.
I read the whole series of 11 "Going Home" books by Angery American and it reenforced the things that can happen in a SHTF scenario.
As far as a shotgun question in the original post, a KSG full of mini slugs or shotshells gives you a fairly accurate compact self-protection shotgun. My carry gun on my hip and maybe a hand cannon in a rig to get attention and the rest close at hand in my home! I have a bad back that would slow my movement down.
Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but it doesn't look good to me! Not what I hoped for in retirement!

Ohio! Way too freakin' close to the city!
Yep. I'm 77 and have had my share of health issues. Over the years I've got bit by the survival bug a few times but not seriously. Each time I think through all the items needed- way beyond just guns and ammo. I always reached the same conclusion-"screw it I'm far too lazy". And at 77 dealing with what body parts will fall off today my enthusiasm has diminished even more. Think I will stick with the Alamo Defense-AR 556, 9mm Glocks, Sub 2000 MSeries, lots of .22s, and plenty of ammo for all. Take out as many as I can and hopefully found under a pile of brass. I am missing a shotgun and have been thinking about one, but my back is fused from T4-S1 and I've had major rotator cuff surgery with pins hold the tendon in my right shoulder-a bit leery of shotguns.
bowzette:
Look into the Kel Tec KSG with a full load of mini shells. Effective and the recoil isn't bad. Very compact shotgun. They also make low recoil 2 3/4 shells in 12 gauge that are good. Once you get the hang of the racking of the KSG it's a sweet little thumper with a high capacity!

I like your term "Alamo Defense"!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
In the last 10 years how many people on the forum have had to 'Bug-Out' with their families to escape something. My biggest real fear would be a tornado or hurricane but not some political upheaval. I would rather die defending my home than to jump in a car or truck to escape a doomsday extinction. Otherwise I could just load up a cooler along with some blankets and pillows and put it in the car and maybe go to a motel with some cash and credit cards in my wallet. My gun would be an SP-101 for concealed carry and a box of ammo.

...So why did any of you bug-out????

Jack Ryan

Blackhawk
All I buy are bug out, bug in, edc, hiking, bear, mountain lion, bedroom guns. If I wouldn't carry it for any one of those I wouldn't want it period.

KIR

Sparks, NV
When I clicked on this thread I thought it was going to be about those salt guns you shoot flies with....... :cool:
Like this one?

Attachments

• A salt rifle.jpg
    A salt rifle.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 55

harley08

Blackhawk
Depending on the situation
My
Mean Pit Bull - Brutis
Mean GSD - Rocko
12ga semi auto "Nomix' shotgun
12ga short barrel shotgun - Ithaca stake out
.357 S&W revolver
Ruger 38 Spc. revolver
Sig 226 9mm - .15rd + 1 - 20rd mag
Sig 365 9mm
Taurus .410 / .45 LC
Suppressed Ruger pistol
Suppressed Ruger 10/22
Ruger 5.56 / 300k rifle with .556 Suppressor
Ruger 308 scoped with suppressor
Colt M16a1
My .308 Sniper Rifle w/ double set trigger
Plenty of ammo

rwp315

Single-Sixer
Ok I'll bite a little bit. handgun for me would be a Glock 19. I think it will work and survive stuff that a revolver can't hope to.
Get it dirty, wet, drop it, throw it, step on it and it'll likely still work. Can carry several loaded mags a whole bunch easier than
loose rounds or speed loaders.
As far as actually "bugging out", nope probably not happening for me, although I do have a Jeep and know how to steal
most small airplanes and right now at least can run for 30-40 miles. Wouldn't want to have to do it with a 60 pound pack on, but
there are a few mules just down the road a ways and I suppose you could eat one after you "bugged out".
Of course I couldn't leave my wife behind so I'd end up renting/stealing a U-Hall anyway.
I agree on the Glock19, even being a 1911 shooter for 50 years. Maybe a 26 as additional, as it uses the same mags as a 17.

Second, you can maintain or repair yourself for the most part. Parts availability is great and some parts are interchangeable with similar sized Glocks. Over 60% of US law enforcement and military world wide use Glocks.

Third, you could get a .22 conversion for the 19 ( not another 4473) and keep the 26 in 9mm.

rwp315

Single-Sixer
I'm too old to even think about "bugging out". I'm about as safe in my home as anywhere. The closest thing I have to a "bug out bag" is a 2 gallon sized plastic storage bag I keep in the motorcycle with a clean t-shirt, underwear, socks, tooth brush and toothpaste, hairbrush, and one day of my regular meds. Its not really for "bugging out" but for the possibility that when out for a long ride someday the weather or mechanical issue forces me to spend a night in a motel rather than heading for home. That little bag would make a night's stay more comfortable than waking up in the morning and having to wear sweaty underwear, shirt and socks for the ride home. And I always have at least my 642 when out for a ride or anything else out of my home.
Good to have something in the vehicle when traveling, but I'll be staying put also.

I'm 73 with injured back and two titanium knees. Not in as great a shape because of the Covid plandemic but getting back to it.

Relatives and friends have 25 acres + in Utah and Wyoming. But getting there? Yea right.

It's all changed. Drones (bad people have them also) have made being isolated impossible. Any one, two or three families together can be overcome easily.

So we'll stay put and stick with neighbors/friends we can trust.
No one is getting our paid for home for free.

On the move bugging out will be awfully dangerous.

I can fly both fixed wing and helicopters but where would you go and be able to leave day after refueling?

Just my 2 cents!

Yep, I can't for the life of me figure out where I would bug out to. I guess I could possibly make it the 93 miles south to the farm I grew up on... but as mentioned...in a WTSHTF situation... it would be tough to get there... I think I'd just hunker down, lock and load and hope for the best.

rwp315

Single-Sixer
Yep, I can't for the life of me figure out where I would bug out to. I guess I could possibly make it the 93 miles south to the farm I grew up on... but as mentioned...in a WTSHTF situation... it would be tough to get there... I think I'd just hunker down, lock and load and hope for the best.
If you're trying to bug out and it looks to everyone else that you are better prepared you'll just be a target.

Look how far our our country in just the years since O'Bummer was in office has degenerated. Not including the Trump years but especially the last two.

My wife and I spent two years in Iran working for Bell Helicopter until evacuated in '79.

Obedient to traffic laws was not the best example. We said to ourselves that would never be tolerated in the US. Little did we know! Just one example of this country's decline. Then my job took me to Central and South America which emphasized it even more.

So you think that those same people that are willing to just about run you over to get their shopping done wouldn't target any of the rest of us?🙄

We've got a long haul ahead of us.

Be Safe

Think very hard about where you would be safe. My family has land in the outback of South Dakota, but everyone in the area knows who is there and when. We have a home in the suburbs, but we don't know many of the neighbors..... who is safe? My Bil lives 30 miles away, but he knows everyone in the area, so they know him as well. Who among us is safe.....?

Travelin Man

Bearcat
Chain O' Lakes Region - Northern Illinois
My avatar is my truck gun, a Ruger PC Carbine with Glock magwell, broke down in a case which also contains my Polymer80 gen 3 Glock 17 clone, (6) 33 round Glock mags, and (4) 17 round Glock mags. My bug-out bag contains enough freeze dried food stuffs for 7 days for my wife and I, (4) life straws for emergency water purification plus a pump attachment kit, a small gas powered camp stove, small cook pot and eating utensils for the two of us, (4) solar chargeable 4800mAh battery packs with USB ports to charge devices, (3) changes of underwear for each of us, (1) full change of regular looking clothes and (1) set of military grade, real tree camo pattern clothes. and (2) sets of chest rigs. We pray we never have to use it but we have three directions and three destinations to bug out to if needed, the closest being 140 miles, the second 260 miles, and the third but favored destination 530 miles. Our Ram 3500 Crew Cab diesel can go about 900 miles at highway speeds on a full tank (replaced the stock 32 gallon tank with a 55 gallon tank) and in addition to that I added a 60 gallon RDS auxiliary tank in the bed so if everything is full we could theoretically go over 1,800 miles at highway speeds BUT, at slower speeds on back road that truck gets 22-24 mpg with the 6.7L Cummins. IF we were to have to go to one of our bug out locations (locations we regularly go to all year long) each location is fully stocked with 2-3 years of food and water, munitions supplies including extra weapons, and about 250 gallons of fuel. FYI, it has taken me about 10 years to build up the supplies at these locations and I have everything on a regular rotation schedule.

Thanks to everone who has contributed some words of wisdom so far. I have to say that I agree with many things that have been submitted. There have been a lot of thought-provoking answers, and more questions asked, which is the purpose of any good conversation. I am firmly in agreement that no single firearm is the perfect choice, but depends on what one is fleeing from or towards. Yet I need to plan and pack something that will cover most of my needs quite well, far in advance. Again, I believe that this is more for a temporary situation than a full-fledged national emergency. I have realized that my narrow weather escape while 9 hours from home meant that I needed to have a lot of items packed and in my vehicle every day, not sitting at home. I considered the effectiveness of my sidearm, which I always have near me, but I believe I need a packable rifle that can discourage the wrong people and also select game if needed. I'd lean toward a rifle caliber over simply using a pistol round in a longer barrel. I'm thinking a .223 AR-type carbine might be a decent choice. They are plentiful, fairly simple to fire and repair, ammo is nearly universal by now, etc. I like the light-ish weight and ease of finding mid-to-larger capacity mags.
Some other items which are a factor are these:
1. Cost of new equipment which MAY be stolen, since it will stay in my vehicle fulltime. I can spend $3K on a full-blown battle rifle with all the latest features, and then have someone bust the window out and take the whole pack. Not a fun thought.
2. How familiar another companion may be with that weapon, if needed. I may not be the one handling that weapon.
3. If that weapon has me perceived as a 'threat' to be eliminated when visible, or simply a person to be left alone. That's a stretch, but it's possible.
I think the main goal is to let bad guys decide that I'm best left alone, if I have no place to isolate immediately. I do agree with the idea above that
prepping might make me a nicer target when SHTF.
4. Ease of accessing that weapon with short notice. A take-down rifle would need time to unpack and assemble, which might be an issue.
5. Weight and ease of carrying, since I would prefer to carry it close by, if I'm forced to be on foot.

I think of the military when they need to place their guys in those same scenarios. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they normally give them a sidearm and a carbine, and a decently prepared pack. I never got to serve, so I'm assuming several things here. I'm hoping the guys in uniform with some
experience can chime in and add some wisdom here. I'm wide open to more good ideas.

I'm in a similar situation as Foundation Horse.
My work vehicle is my safe place until I can return to my home. Presently, it is equipped with extra ammo and magazines for whatever handgun I'm carrying, my 300AAC folding stock PDW, odds and ends of extra clothing, bottled water, snacks, first aid kit, tools, TWO spare tires, a small tire inflator, and a bag of bits and pieces of parts. I also carry extra engine oil and coolant and I don't throw away things like serpentine belts when I replace them. Wipe them down and put in a ziplock bag--they'll run another 100-200 miles in an emergency. I drive a 1/2 ton Chevy which a very common vehicle in case I should need to scavenge a tire or battery in an apocalypse OR in 5 minutes, I can pull the cover off the steering column and have a 'found' vehicle started and running(not as quick as they do in the movies, BTW).

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Thanks to everone who has contributed some words of wisdom so far. I have to say that I agree with many things that have been submitted. There have been a lot of thought-provoking answers, and more questions asked, which is the purpose of any good conversation. I am firmly in agreement that no single firearm is the perfect choice, but depends on what one is fleeing from or towards. Yet I need to plan and pack something that will cover most of my needs quite well, far in advance. Again, I believe that this is more for a temporary situation than a full-fledged national emergency. I have realized that my narrow weather escape while 9 hours from home meant that I needed to have a lot of items packed and in my vehicle every day, not sitting at home. I considered the effectiveness of my sidearm, which I always have near me, but I believe I need a packable rifle that can discourage the wrong people and also select game if needed. I'd lean toward a rifle caliber over simply using a pistol round in a longer barrel. I'm thinking a .223 AR-type carbine might be a decent choice. They are plentiful, fairly simple to fire and repair, ammo is nearly universal by now, etc. I like the light-ish weight and ease of finding mid-to-larger capacity mags.
Some other items which are a factor are these:
1. Cost of new equipment which MAY be stolen, since it will stay in my vehicle fulltime. I can spend $3K on a full-blown battle rifle with all the latest features, and then have someone bust the window out and take the whole pack. Not a fun thought.
2. How familiar another companion may be with that weapon, if needed. I may not be the one handling that weapon.
3. If that weapon has me perceived as a 'threat' to be eliminated when visible, or simply a person to be left alone. That's a stretch, but it's possible.
I think the main goal is to let bad guys decide that I'm best left alone, if I have no place to isolate immediately. I do agree with the idea above that
prepping might make me a nicer target when SHTF.
4. Ease of accessing that weapon with short notice. A take-down rifle would need time to unpack and assemble, which might be an issue.
5. Weight and ease of carrying, since I would prefer to carry it close by, if I'm forced to be on foot.

I think of the military when they need to place their guys in those same scenarios. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they normally give them a sidearm and a carbine, and a decently prepared pack. I never got to serve, so I'm assuming several things here. I'm hoping the guys in uniform with some
experience can chime in and add some wisdom here. I'm wide open to more good ideas.

The military, for the most part, operates as a team with the exception of a lone sniper which is very rare, and even then there is some level of teamwork involved. The only time you would be on your own is if you were separated from your unit with no comm. Some people get some minimal survival training. In that situation, you've only got what you carried on your back (or bailed out with) and in some cases nothing but the clothes you're wearing and maybe a knife. You quickly understand that you are the rabbit, not the wolf, and it's in your best interest to act accordingly. It ain't a Hollywood movie.