Broken coil spring on new mark III

Help Support Ruger Forum:

obdocab

Bearcat
I have a relatively new Mark III. Took to the range and ran about 350 rounds through it yesterday. When I disassemblied it to clean I noticed that the pin that holds the firing pin fell out of the bolt. Still no big deal, but I took the firing pin out of it's slot and I noticed the coil spring was in two parts. It appears about 4 coils broke off of the end of the spring. I can't remember a broken spring before. I have replaced a lot of weakened springs over the years but this is a first for me. Wonder if there was a bad lot since this is a 4month old gun

contender

Ruger Guru
An odd occurance, but a polite phone call to Ruger will get you a replacement. Most likely for free. (I doubt seriously they would consider charging anything.) As for a bad lot or anything, I haven't heard of anything like this. I don't think a broken spring is common at all.

louiethelump

Buckeye
It is normal for that pin to fall right out. It is the firing pin retainer. That spring is supposed to have a little flat metal tab on it. Was that there? I am thinking that if you one that takes your gun all apart a lot, it may have gotten lost in a previous disassembly and that MAY explain the broken spring.

obdocab

Bearcat
Thanks for the replys. The flat metal thing on the end of the spring was in place with the majority of the spring on the round end as it should be all was where it should have been except that about 4 coils of spring had broken off the end of the spring and there wasn't enough "spring" to put tension on the firing pin. And yes the retaining pin will on occasion just fall out.

obdocab

Bearcat
called ruger to order a replacement spring and they were real nice about the whole thing. Asked for my serial number and said they would send out free spring. Can't ask for better service. I guess it was just one of those things that break.

rooger

Single-Sixer
I had that same spring break when my MKIII was fairly new. Ruger sent me a new one and it still works fine after thousands of rounds.

obdocab

Bearcat
Got not one, but two new springs from Ruger. Nice folks to talk to, and good service. No charge for replacement spring, as it should be for a gun this new. I guess if you have enough guns and shoot enough rounds something is gonna break. Do I blame Ruger? Of course not!! It worked fine from the factory and for several months until something went snap..thanks for the input though

Chris

Blackhawk
Rugers customer service is tops, Firing pin fell out???? Are you referring too the firing pin stop pin?

Chris

Blackhawk
You have a MK III, The Firing stop pin should be a roll pin (hollow) as opposed to a solid pin. Generally you need a drift punch to push these little suckers out, they really should never fall out by themselves. Without the firing stop pin in place, if the weapon was cocked and the trigger pulled, you can do serious reputable damage to the chamber( basically, it's over..new gun please).
When fielding stripping and total dissembles, its always good to check and see if they are cracked dented or look as if they are worn and replace as necessary. I like; Contender, have never heard of anything like this before, especially considering the fact you said it's relatively new.
Personally I have over 25,000 rds through mine, and never a hic cup other than some bad ammo now and again.
You may want to recall Ruger and explain it to them, again. That pin should never just fall out by itself. Milling may be out of spec a 1/1000 or the roll pin out of spec.
Call them back, let me know how you make out.

obdocab

Bearcat
I appreciate the concern, but my pin is solid. It is generally held in the bolt by the tension produced by the small spring that normally retracts the firing pin unless struck by the hammer. The retaining pin also can't fall out when the bolt is in the receiver, only able to come out when the gun is field stripped with the bolt removed from the receiver..my mark III bolt has a pin, not a roll pin, as do my older mark II's