Brass Bisley Grip Frames

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The only person I know of is John Linebaugh and he only installs them on guns he is building. I was recently quoted an even $1000.00 for a brass bisley grip frame and fancy walnut grips by John to be installed on a 475 Linebaugh Long. :shock:

princeout

Blackhawk
Guys,
If we could get some of these made up - perhaps using a new stainless Bisley grip, unfitted, as a model since the SS ones seem to be a bit larger, what kind of price could folks stomach? I meet a guy who works at a foundry, has machinist skills and is a world class pistol shooter and I talked with him a little about doing both brass and titanium Bisley grips. If we had enough interest, and the manufacturing costs were low enough to leave some room for him to pay for his labor, I could pursue this further with him. He works at a titanium casting outfit and could perhaps interest his employer in the project as well.

I realize this would be an extremely small project as far as sales numbers would go since there are just not a whole lot of us idiots doing these kinds of things to their revolvers, but it never hurts to ask.

Imagine an ultralight, Bisley gripped 475 or 500 Linebaugh.....

Robb, I think he lives in your neck of the woods - either Oregon or Washington.

Tim

EDK

Single-Sixer
IIRC, QUALITE/MK TECHNOLOGY had a limited run of brass BISLEY trigger guards that got snapped up pretty quick...I dropped the ball on one on eBay for $175...turned out they had 12 or more to sell in the lot. Some of the high end "show and tell" customizers who patronize Alan Harton, John Gallagher, etc. have guns fitted with the brass trigger guards and other cosmetics.

I'd love to have such an item, but my top price would probably be too low at $200 for the trigger guard. The RUGER factory original brass trigger guard for a SUPER BLACK HAWK is going for over $300 and is out of my price range.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Like this?
DSC00887.jpg

Also have one other unfitted waiting for a host. Just not sure what I'll use it one yet.

I was going to investigate what it would cost to have some made but in talking with some folks it was clear it would be cost prohibitive in such small numbers. If there were to be something come from another quest, I'd very likely be in for one. :)

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
This subject keeps coming up year after year. Maybe a sticky would help. Whether or not you score a factory brass frame or purchase an aftermarket brass frame you will face a daunting task of fitting. The usual comments are, "I'll never do that again!" If you must have a brass grip frame, consider having yours brass plated. It is relatively inexpensive, lasts a long time and won't require a superhuman effort to refit.

-cu

flatgate

Hawkeye
EDK said:
The RUGER factory original brass trigger guard for a SUPER BLACK HAWK is going for over $300 and is out of my price range.

I agree, the genuine Ruger parts are getting scarce. Here's one example....
162714758.jpg

There have been several "other" sources, however, IIRC, ALL have gone by the wayside..... :cry:

322641732.jpg

This particular example is set up for New Model revolvers.

flatgate

PS Yes, it is sad that Mr. Linebaugh stopped making a brass Bisley example.

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
I have invested a fair amount of time and money to get set up to produce some brass gripframes. I haven't had the time to really get any made yet due to work and family priorites. Hopefully I'll get some time this summer...

snappy

Single-Sixer
I'd want one as well, depending of course on the price tag. They look so slick with blued/cc hardened! This thread needs some more pics haha.

G2

Hunter
I like Brass Bisley Grip frames :D :D
.32's
3ruger32s.jpg

45 colt
P1010005-9.jpg

45 colt and 32 Mag Brass Bisley
P1010004-16.jpg

Pile of Brass for future projects... :D
brs.jpg

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
BlackEagle said:
I have invested a fair amount of time and money to get set up to produce some brass gripframes. I haven't had the time to really get any made yet due to work and family priorites. Hopefully I'll get some time this summer...

Do you intend to offer brass gripframes for sale, or are you producing a few for your own use only? If you are considering offering them for sale, I must respectfully ask how you will manage to manufacture them with a more accurate fit than the previous makers who eventually went out of business? Casting is not an easy art. The raw casting must then be precision milled and drilled. If you are capable of precision milling and drilling it would be more practical to cut them from stock and skip the casting altogether. Aside from the cool value of having solid brass, plating the original gripframe would give you the look you want with a stronger steel part and no fitting. Just my 2 cents worth.

-cu

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
Carry_Up said:
BlackEagle said:

Do you intend to offer brass gripframes for sale, or are you producing a few for your own use only? If you are considering offering them for sale, I must respectfully ask how you will manage to manufacture them with a more accurate fit than the previous makers who eventually went out of business? Casting is not an easy art. The raw casting must then be precision milled and drilled. If you are capable of precision milling and drilling it would be more practical to cut them from stock and skip the casting altogether. Aside from the cool value of having solid brass, plating the original gripframe would give you the look you want with a stronger steel part and no fitting. Just my 2 cents worth.

-cu
Do you have experience casting brass?

G2

Hunter
BlackEagle said:
G2 are you just being modest or did you get rid of a bunch of your brass?

Nahhhh just showing the pictures with the Bisley's in em.... :D :D :D I do like the Brass.

That pile has gone down a little, recently fit my shooter OM 44 flattop and currently working on a OM 4.6" 41Mag.
When I get done,,,, will break out the camera and take a family photo.

FYI; The Qualite/QPR frames were cast from JL's Mold, it does have some slight problems that can be corrected in the install, BUT it is not for the average joe, the reason the Bisley project never got off the ground. (per personal conversation w/ Karen)
When Qualite/QPR sold the remaining very limited inventory, it was "as is".
Im just fortunate to get my hands on a few.

Latest posts