Bore sighting

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfsong

Staff member
What system to y'all use when mounting a scope? Mount it, and finetune it at the range? Peer down the barrel? Use a straight line on a wall to line up the reticle? Cheap laser? Expensive laser?

After all these years, my buddy Jerry says, out of the blue, "I want a laser bore sighter". My question was why, after mounting and sighting too many scopes to count, would you want to spend money on something you don't really need? His answer was "I don't have one". I almost responded that there's lots of things you don't have, but I realized that he's probably got at least 2 of anything and everything related to shooting. Except a bore sighter.

I understand that boresighting can save time and money, but I've always enjoyed the whole mount-it-and-shoot-it process. Anyway, maybe we're all just bored from this shelter in place nuisance.

Sagebrush Burns

Single-Sixer
It is hard to beat the old fashioned Mark-1 eyeball for bore sighting a bolt action rifle. In the hands of an experienced, patient hand it can save a lot of time and ammunition.

JFB

Hunter
You asked, so here. . .
first thing I do is set the cross hairs in the center.
go from stop to stop and come back half
then use the mirror to verify in the tube is very near over the reflection, fine adjust if needed

then mesure the center of the barrel bore to the center of the scope bore. (say it is 1.5")
set paper at 10 to 20 yards (depends on scope focus), fire shot and verify POI is below POA the very near measurement above.

Now use the expected drop for this short range, adust as needed

My last three scopes were onto 1022 and after cenetering with mirror, I clicked in a few MOA vertical and was close enough I never trimmed

(OH. if using a MOA mount, that adds a litttle more. On one of the 1022's I did file the mount to give me about 7 MOA, thus leaving scope in the center was good enough0
55XA1Go.jpg

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
wolfsong said:
I understand that boresighting can save time and money, but I've always enjoyed
the whole mount-it-and-shoot-it process. Anyway, maybe we're all just bored from
this shelter in place nuisance.
Good point on both.

I start with shooting the back stop at the range. When you see the dirt jump, you
know which way to adjust, until it's close enough to punch paper. :D
(especially with a .22lr)

Gator89

Buckeye
I have been using one if these close to 10 years now, everything from .22 to 12 gauge. I installed an RMR on my Super Black Eagle, thanks to the laser sighter, only two shots to get the pattern centered on the target.

https://www.amazon.com/LaserLyte-Universal-Caliber-Rifles-Pistols/dp/B004NKW7C2

Dan in MI

Staff member
I picked up a Savage .223 years ago. I planned on doing the start close and work out to distance system. This was during archery deer camp. I couldn't get to sleep and the sight in process was rolling around in my head. I took the Savage out and played with an idea I had. There was a light on the barn about 100 yards away. I took the bolt out and centered the bore on the light. Then holding the gun in place I adjusted the scope to the light. The next day I took it to the pit. I was only about 2" right of center. Easiest sight in I've ever done.

contender

Ruger Guru
When I was younger, I too used the simple, no cost methods used by many to zero a scope. Then, about 30 or so years ago, I found a deal on a Bushnell bore sighting tool, with all the pilots. Knowing I COULD do w/o it,, but also knowing it might make it easier,, and since the price was right, I bought it. It served me well for a long time,, AND my buddies who'd want me to mount their scopes etc were impressed that I could mount a scope, AND it be quite close when they went to fine tune the adjustments. Then, about 10-15 years ago I was visiting with Jim Carmichael at a gun show, where he had all kinds of stuff for sale on his table, I spied a NIB laser boresighter with different pilots. We discussed the merits of one & all,,, and Jim told me; "If you want this one for $10 it's yours." Well, it was a very nice improvement over my old Bushnell, so I sold my Bushnell.
It works,, and is convenient. And with the cost of ammo, my buddies appreciate the fact it saves them money. You STILL have to "put them on paper" and adjust the scope. But it's a nice tool, but not a necessity if you know what to do.

txramfan

Single-Sixer
At 62 , I went deer hunting last year for the first time. I shoot left handed, didn't want a bolt action and left handed semi autos are hard to find and I wanted something made here. So I got a Henry Long Ranger , scope , rings etc and mounted a scope for the first time.

Laser bore sight got me on paper at 50 yards. That's where I learned about tightening all the screws properly . Yea my scope was loose. That made a good excuse to buy a proper torque wrench, I also needed higher rings.

Next trip to the range and on paper at 100 yards first shot, After a few more I was 2 " high as planned.

My 96 year old dad still sights down the bore and adjusts his scope, still hand loading, finally stopped wildcatting 3 years ago.

coach

Hunter
I was at a range helping a friend sight in an AR and he wasn’t able to get it in paper with a scope he just mounted. Somehow the range officer offered to let him use a laser to help. All went well and the scope appeared to be adjusted just right. The first shot was nowhere to be seen and then he realized he forgot to take the laser out of the bore. After an apology to the range officer and an offer to replace the laser the RO declined saying someone had left it behind and they weren’t out any money. No damage to the rifle.

Bolt actions are all I really bore sight. I remove the bolt and center the bore on a 1” circle at about 20 yds, then adjust the crosshairs accordingly. That generally gets me on paper. If not I pick a spot on the bank and get it close. Usually dialed in to the target at 100yds with less than 10 rounds total.

Paul B

Buckeye
A couple of years ago I finally broke down a bore sighting tool with the various spuds for different size bores. Prior to that I used to mount the rifle in my vice and line up the bore with a vent pipe on my neighbor's roof. With that method most of the time my first shot(s) at 25 yards was exactly one and a quarter inched below the aiming point and usually quite close to being centered vertically. Never took more than a click or two to put the point of impact 3" high at 100 yards. I've never had that bore sighting tool work that quickly Usually sighted in with ten shots at the most under the old method. Sometimes with the tool it can take a whole box of ammo. Gets expensive when using premium bullets like the TSX or Partitions.
Paul B.

bogus bill

Hunter
If you have a good tight rifle rest simply fire one round at the target, now adjust the crosshairs to that bullet hole!

Rook

Blackhawk
I've got a couple of different laser boresighters. One is an AimShot for the .223.

The other is a LaserLyte universal for .22 to .50 Cal rifle or pistol.

I can do OK without them but they are handy to use.

I've had these two for several years and they were fairly cheap when I bought them. I was looking on Amazon a few minutes ago and they're pretty pricey on their site. I must have bought them somewhere else because I wouldn't have paid the $34.99 for the AimShot nor the $69.75 for the LaserLyte.

rSIjeYg.jpg

6vsROik.jpg

foxtrapper

Blackhawk
Pat-inCO said:
wolfsong said:
I understand that boresighting can save time and money, but I've always enjoyed
the whole mount-it-and-shoot-it process. Anyway, maybe we're all just bored from
this shelter in place nuisance.
Good point on both.

I start with shooting the back stop at the range. When you see the dirt jump, you
know which way to adjust, until it's close enough to punch paper. :D
(especially with a .22lr)
Easiest way I found too! For centerfire rifles with recoil you may not be able to see shot hit. The gun is being held on some kind of rest ,so I aim and just before breaking the shot I will look down range instead of the scope. All it takes is to slightly lift your head to the side.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I use a laser bore siter. No shame in saying so. I can bore site anything from .17 to .50 w/o firing a shot and get on paper or better with the first round.
I mount optics on numerous AR type firearms and the laser device is the best way to do that. I can hang 4 or 5 targets and sit down at the bench with 4 or 5 bore sited rifles and not leave my seat until the entire job is done.