Blue, a new favorite colour

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
After many years of handloading on a single stage press I upgraded to this one & the blue colour has never looked better. 8)

Set up my new RL 550B & played with it yesterday setting up the different die stations & with some coffee & a couple of cigars later (not in the reloading room) :lol: had her up & cranking out a loaded round with each pull on the handle. Now don't get me wrong, 35 for my 1'st session I didn't want to double charge any cases, &/or seat the primers in the wrong orientation, & make sure they were flush or just below. My only quirk was when trying to pick up primers with the pick-up tube. I removed the plastic tip & used the deburring tool on the inside of the tube to cut the sharp edge that was preventing primer entry. Now it works like a charm!

Today I was so excited, had to get back to it & charged some .357 mag brass with Trail-Boss powder & some cast bullets. Once I got the different steps in my head, it seemed to go a bit faster. I like the idea of being able to stop & pull the pin, literally & remove the the piece of brass to check something, usually to check the powder weight. I know there is more to learn about it, but what a sweet machine these progressives are.

I will be putting this to good use next year when I can retire, in the mean time I will practice... 8)

Thanks for stopping by, I just wanted to share my new joy with you all! :D

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
There is nothing like new stuff. New stuff missions are the key to a happy life !!!!!

6gun

Hunter
Never cared much for the color blue but could sure get to like it if that were mounted to my reloading bench, "nice".... looks like your all set up.

snowman2

Bearcat
I bought one just like it last year. This machine works great and beats the heck out of reloading 45 colts on a single stage machine.
Cheers Harv. :D

KWYJIBO

Blackhawk
My dad went to a Dillon progressive machine years ago and loves it. I'm still doing single-stage, but I don't load a large volume of ammo.

Glad to hear you got yours set up without much trouble.

I will be putting this to good use next year when I can retire, in the mean time I will practice...

That will give you one year to get a bunch of components stocked piled while the $$$ are still rolling in. For some strange reason these machine sure are hungry for more and more components. :)

Jim Puke

Hunter
Congrats and you will love it. I am sold on blue, also...even though it took me a few years to make the leap. One this is for sure, I will never go back. :mrgreen:

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
Well, I got a second one cheaper in price than the first when we went into Michigan! Got it at Jay's in Gaylord. They were $100. less than here in Canada & I saved the $56. shipping charge from Alberta too. I am thrilled to have another, I won't have to change out the primer bars when loading with different sized primers, & will have lots of spare parts. Won't need the spare parts kit! :lol:

I ordered a couple of conversion kits for .44 mag & .45 acp, some tool heads & another powder die today to complete my needs for reloading .32 Long/.32 H&R, .38/.357, .44 mag, 45 colt & .45 acp pistol cartridges. In time perhaps a few more powder measures will be added, but can get by with two for now. I have lots of components to feed them, so I believe this winter is going to be more productive in total loaded rounds. 8)

Go ahead & post your Dillons (or any other brand) if you like,....I'm loving the blue now.... :lol: Thanks again folks! :)

Ethang

Blackhawk
I bought a 650 the first year they came out. It has been a wonderful machine. I sent it back to Dillon about 8 years ago to be cleaned and gone through and they upgraded all the original parts to the newest stuff and fully cleaned and lubed it. Looked like a new machine when I got it back, and they did not charge me a dime.

Mike is smart though, anytime I call for a part or problem I end up feeling guilty about being treated so well and buy something else I want or think I need.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have to say that over the many years I've owned my 3 Dillons, their customer service AND warranty is by far the best of any company I've ever dealt with.
So, when I need something, even if it's not a Dillon reloading product, I look in the "Blue Press" catalog. Just the other day, I was wanting to dress up a new S&W DA revolver for competition. I had ordered some stuff from Midway, (using my B-Day discount,) but they were out of stock on a few things. Well, I went to the Blue Press, and the cylinder release latch was listed in it, where it had been out of stock at Midway. Without hesitation, I ordered it from Dillon, paying $5 more for the latch, AND since it was only one item, (they didn't have the other item I wanted as well,) the $11 shipping added to the cost of the small part a lot. But I figure I still owe Dillon a lot more than that for all the parts they have sent me for FREE over the years.
Dillon is heads & shoulders above any other company when it comes to customer service.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
wife #1 bought me (us) a 550B when they changed to the B model, back when Dillon was still in the airport complex. It was $206 otd.
I now have two and a SD and an AT500.
Mike Dillon is the real deal, never borrowed a dollar from a bank for his business. Good stuff made and serviced the American way.

kentdep

Single-Sixer
I have a 550 and a 650XL. The 550 was and is a very good machine. I load all my pistol calibers but .38 Special on the 550. The 650 is set up with all the extras. I run about 15,000 .38 Specials a year on it. With everything set up and ready to go, I can do 100 rounds in about 6 minutes. That is a nice step up from my 550 where 100 rounds would take about 10 minutes (no case feeder).

Welcome to club blue!

Jay

Latest posts