Blackhawk loading gate

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jpsnides

Bearcat
I've got a .44 Mag Blackhawk I inherited from my brother. The cylinder hasn't wanted to rotate, and now the loading gate won't open. Is this common? Something I need I can repair myself?

Thanks for any suggestions.

hittman

Staff member
Is the gun filthy dirty? Been sitting a long time?
Can you push the button and remove the cylinder pin?
You try spraying a lubricant on the loading gate?
Old Model or New Model?

jpsnides

Bearcat
Not dirty, and I've had the cylinder out, but haven't tried since the loading gate locked. I'll look at that.

hittman

Staff member
Hammer works?
how long since gun has been fired?

What have you tried?
I wonder if loading gate dry or in a bind, etc.
Is gun UNloaded?

Telling us what you're already tried will limit questions needing asked any maybe narrow things down a bit,

Last edited:

JBP

Single-Sixer
Register it with Ruger and if the problem continues to exist send it to them for repair. Just be aware that if it's a 3 screw they will automatically do the safety conversion on it. If you don't want that take to a gunsmith.

I'm guessing it's a new model, as on the old models the loading gate was basically a spring loaded cover and performed no other function.

Worst case, you should be able to remove the grip frame and disassemble from there. You will have fun putting the hammer spring assembly back together though. If you have a drill press you can use it as a press to reassemble the strut rod, spring, and retainer. But once everything is disassembled you should be able to see where the issue lies.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Maybe , just maybe the little foot of the loading gate spring has poped out of place. That will wonkey the loading gate all up. With the cyl. out you should be able to push it back in with a screwdriver or somesuch.
Also, you can leave the cyl. out while troubleshooting but put the pin back in all the way. That will keep the transfer bar from sticking under the firing pin preventing it from being cocked.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Maybe , just maybe the little foot of the loading gate spring has poped out of place. That will wonkey the loading gate all up. With the cyl. out you should be able to push it back in with a screwdriver or somesuch.
Also, you can leave the cyl. out while troubleshooting but put the pin back in all the way. That will keep the transfer bar from sticking under the firing pin preventing it from being cocked.
👆What he said.
I'm guessing that it's a new model. I've taken apart many new and old model Rugers. Despite the advice above, I would think that taking it apart, "seeing what's wrong", and putting it back together is MUCH more than most folk are capable of. Yes, needsmostuff's advice is spot on, BUT easier said than done if you haven't pulled a bunch of these "lawyer" specials apart. Putting them back together is a whole new life experience.
IMHO of course,
J.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum jpsnides!!!!!!

Read closely what needsmostuff has posted. The loading gate spring is a possible source of your problem.
And I, like others here,, assume it's most likely a New Model, with the safety transfer bar action.
If you can remove the cylinder,, do so.
then,, get a manual, and study the odd shaped spring under the lip edge of the loading gate. See how it's supposed to be. It may just need to be returned to it's pesky slot.

Latest posts