Blackhawk 45 Colt Cylinder/Barrel Size

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sjs

Single-Sixer
I was about to order a standard New Model Blackhawk in 45 Colt. NOT the convertible.

Before placing the order I decided to do a little google review and I see many old references to there being a problem with the size of the cylinder throats in relation to the size of the forcing cone. Some threads indicated it was only a problem with the convertibles. Some threads mention the problem being solved in recent production models, but I can't get a clear and definitive answer from my research.

Is this still a problem with the standard 45 Colt?

My wife bought me a new Blackhawk in 45 colt last march and had cylinder throats of .4515 throats it shot decent with lead bullets
but I went ahead and bought the reamer and opened them up to .4525 because I shoot only lead bullets.

It did improve accuracy a bit. I opened them up primarily so that my bullets would be a nice slip/snug fit in the throats.

I believe they are much better nowadays than before.
My dads 1980 vintage Blackhawk 45 colt has .456 throats.

Hope this helps,
Aug

sjs

Single-Sixer
Thank you. With all the engineering talent, quality control and production experience Ruger has demonstrated through the years with many models I wonder why they have not just resolved this issue entirely.

I ordered one. Hope it is accurate without reaming.

contender

Ruger Guru
I own several 45 Rugers.
That said,,, if it seems to be an issue,,, having the cylinder reamed is EASY. I do my own,,, but a member here,,,, "Dougguy" does excellent work and a very fair price.

I have owned several all 1978 and newer, all needed reamed for best results with cast, which is what I shoot and hunt with 99% of the time. The latest is being reamed as we speak, but I don't mind, I have found no other 45 Colt to deliver the results I get with the Blackhawk close to it's price range, even after reaming.I think you'll be happy, but if not 60 er 70 bucks is a small price to pay fer the end results!

jbntx

Single-Sixer
I've owned at least eight New Model Blackhawks in 45 Colt in the past several years.

ALL OF THEM needed the cylinder throats reamed out in order to accurately shoot cast bullets.
Reaming undersized throats to .4525 drastically improved accuracy with lead bullets for me.

This is a known problem with 45 Colt Blackhawks.
Ruger knows about it too, but ignores it.

Buy the reamer from Brownell's and ream them yourself. It's easy and only takes a few minutes.
Instructions are included.

Believe me, if I can do it then anyone can do it.

Enigma

Hunter
In addition to undersize chamber throats, be certain to check for thread choke, where the barrel screws into the frame. Many are also plagued by that. I bought a used Lipsey's stainless flattop .45 Convertible that suffers from both of these maladies, and displayed transfer bar pinch, as well.

sjs

Single-Sixer
I am unfamiliar with thread choke or transfer bar pinch. Can you explain how I check for that?

I ordered minus plug gages for .451, .452 and .453. Will I need anything else?

I'd like to order a bunch of Berry's plated bullets to get started making up practice loads but I guess I better wait until I get measurements first.

contender

Ruger Guru
Thread choke is usually a point in the barrel where it is screwed into the main frame, and then torqued into place. To check for it,, a tight patch on a cleaning rod is inserted in the barrel, and as it gets to the junction area,, you may feel resistance or even have it stop unless a bit more pushing pressure is applied.

I bought a complete set of pin gauges, a minus set from .250 up to .500. I've used some on both sides of the 3 you mentioned.

Sugar River

Buckeye
A quick and reasonably accurate method: find a jacketed bullet (best to have several brands on hand) that just barely slips through a throat and measure its diameter with a 1" mic. You'll have a pretty good idea which ones need reaming.

Enigma

Hunter
To check for transfer bar pinch, cock the hammer, then pull the trigger and ease it forward until it stops, while keeping pressure on the trigger. Once the hammer reaches full stop, release the trigger while watching the hammer. The hammer should not move. If it does, this indicates that the notch in the hammer for the transfer bar is not deep enough. Here are a couple of links; the Youtube video doesn't expalin it very well, but it might help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sE54jvfz5Y

http://www.cylindersmith.com/Transferbar.html

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
sjs said:
I was about to order a standard New Model Blackhawk in 45 Colt. NOT the convertible.

Before placing the order I decided to do a little google review and I see many old references to there being a problem with the size of the cylinder throats in relation to the size of the forcing cone. Some threads indicated it was only a problem with the convertibles. Some threads mention the problem being solved in recent production models, but I can't get a clear and definitive answer from my research.

Is this still a problem with the standard 45 Colt?

What ammo do you plan to shoot? If you are shooting factory made ammo or reloads using jacketed bullets .451" you might be ok with the cylinder throat diameters as shipped by Ruger. However if you plan on handloading cast bullets, the preferred size is .452" so there is a little extra bit of bullet to squeeze into a tight seal in the bore once it gets through the forcing cone and into the rifling.

To maintain the .452" diameter from the loaded round to the barrel requires the bullet to journey through the cylinder throats, and if these are smaller than the bullet, then you are basically firing through a 6 port sizing die and bullets will be sized down to throat diameter which could be anywhere between .450" to .452" usually they run around .451" and need to be "dimensionally corrected" to .4525" for best results with .452" cast bullets.

The cost of the solid nose throater reamer from Brownell's with shipping is around $55 but the pilot diameter is .447" which is way too small to use on a revolver chamber since there is NO way the reamer can be held concentric with the throat without a very snug fitting pilot for each throat.

The cost of the live pilot reamer is $90 the cost of the package of pilot busings is $72 then you have shipping as well.

Once you have reamed the throats, they still must be cleaned up from tool marks left by the reamer, and yes there will be very visible tool marks, so this requires even more tooling like a brass ACRO lap and a couple of brass barrels and some lapping compound, or you could be cheap and "Bubba" the finish with a split dowel and some sandpaper. I use a Sunnen precision automotive hone to finish cylinder throats after reaming.

I do a lot of Ruger cylinders you will get professional results and very consistent throat diameters, for roughly the cost of the el cheapo reamer and not have to worry about botching any of it if you have never done one. They are not super hard to do, but to do them right requires considerably more tooling than just an order from Brownell's will provide you with. You may send a PM for details if you are interested.

sjs

Single-Sixer
There are handy guys, guys who are not handy, and then me, who looks up to even the guys who are not handy. I will not be trying it on my own.

I have a few hundred rounds loaded with different powders and charges but they all have Berry Plated FP 250 gr. bullets and I believe those are .452

I have three plug gages to get an initial idea when the revolver arrives.I'll shoot it first and then PM DougGuy if needed.

Quick check . . .

Attempt to slip one of the Berry bullets (just the bullet alone) into the front end of the chambers. If you cannot slip a bullet thru the mouths of the throats with only a very small encouragement, the throats are undersized. "How much" undersized is really moot. They need to be reamed to the appropriate size for the bullet you will be using, for which Doug will be able to advise (see above).

:)

Rclark

Hunter
Once you have reamed the throats, they still must be cleaned up
I've reamed all of mine, and none needed 'cleaning up' . They don't need to be as 'smooth' as you think.
FWIW, my groups were cut in half after reaming one of my .45s. I was very happy with the results. After reaming, none of my cylinders made group size increase. Always better or the same. At least one knows the throats are now 'uniform'.

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
Rclark said:
Once you have reamed the throats, they still must be cleaned up
I've reamed all of mine, and none needed 'cleaning up' . They don't need to be as 'smooth' as you think.

You got lucky and I will tell you why. Ruger makes cylinders from long rods that come in on rail cars from the steel mills, they are drawn and heat treated specifically for Ruger. This stuff is TOUGH, it is granular, and does not like to be machined. It is inconsistent and VERY unpredictable in it's "finish" qualities. The outsides of the cylinders are ground to their finish, but the insides are reamed with HSS cutters.

After reaming well over a thousand Ruger cylinders I can tell you this with certainty, I don't care who's name is on your reamer, how new or how sharp it is, you will run into cylinders that are harder than woodpecker lips, you WILL experience tear-out in the throats, and they will leave some very unsightly tool marks that even following with an ACRO lap or a Sunnen hone you will NOT get all of them out, they simply pull out and tear too deeply to polish/hone out without going way oversize with the intended diameter of the throat.

After putting the Sunnen hone in the tooling here I am able to buy reamers of smaller diameter that will leave enough meat in the throat so that I can then hone it to size and polish out all or nearly all of the tear-out. This is how I like to deliver the finished work to a customer. Anyone who simply reams the throat and then sends the cylinder out as "finished" is just shortcutting the job.

There is also the variations in hardness from cylinder to cylinder and within the same cylinder throats "as reamed" will be a different size if the metallurgical makeup changes from one side of the cylinder to the other which I have seen more than once. Some cyllinders cut like butter, these will have throats that finish smoother and at a larger diameter than cylinders that are harder and difficult to cut smoothly. Other cylinders are so hard that a new Manson reamer will actually "squawk" while turning and will require two hands to turn the handle. This is where honing to final diameter will win over the "as reamed" throat all day, every day. I try to send cylinders out with throats within .0002" of each other. This is not possible with the reamer alone due to inconsistencies in the hardness and metallurgical properties of the cylinders themselves.

Some of the customers have more machining in their background than many of the 'smiths and for one of these guys to open a box and hold the cylinder up to the light and look into the throats and see a collection of radial scratches and toolmarks like what Ruger sends out as a "forcing cone" more times than not, is quite insulting. I currently do not have this issue with the work that I turn out because I believe in doing the best work you can possibly do. Your work speaks for itself. It speaks volumes about the kind of craftsman you are.

Accuracy will improve from reaming the throats evenly and to the proper diameter, it will likely not improve any over the polished throat vs. the as-reamed throat with the inherent tool marks, and once filled in with lube and powder residue, will be as accurate as the finely polished throat. However, the as-reamed throats are only likely to be all the same size *IF* the hardness of the cylinder is consistent all the way around. This is not always the case. LOTS of variation in the metallurgical properties of these cylinders, and both blued steel and stainless exhibit the same inconsistencies. This is where honing to final diameter ensures +/- .0002" sizing from throat to throat, and accuracy WILL improve with the hone finished throat over the as-reamed throat if the final diameters are more even after honing to finished diameter.

You can buy the reamer and the pilots, but without precision finishing tools, you are stuck with whatever tool marks and whatever finished diameter and whatever variations from throat to throat that the reamer leaves you with. There really isn't a financial savings to be had over sending cylinders out to have them professionally done, I do this work at a very attractive price, less than half of the cost of the reamer + the pilots for one cylinder. I have detailed the differences in finished product with the reamer vs. the precision honed finish. It is the customer's choice what degree of precision they desire.

Rclark

Hunter
DougGuy, hope you didn't get the idea I was knocking your work, because I am not. Sounds very good in fact. But, I simply made a statement that all I've reamed have come out well as far as I can tell. No 'obvious' defects. I enjoy the process of cutting my cylinder throats (stainless and blued) and also the forcing cone when needed. Firelap too ... (only had to do this on three revolvers so far) . Works for me :) . My experience is with about 10 cylinders .. all .45 Colt.

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
No I knew you weren't knocking what I do, and truth be told, my own 45 Colt Vaquero was just reamed and shot with no further polishing for about a year and I decided to polish the throats.

The last stainless Bisley 45 Colt cylinder I did last week was a textbook example of how wonky things can get with Ruger cylinders. I pinned it out at .451" on all throats, a very even drag on the pin gage, so I know to use a .451" pilot on all holes. Easy enough. Chucked it up in the vise and the very first hole was HARD HARD HARD to turn the reamer, I needed both hands! I am thinking WTH? Even after the flutes cut all the way through it didn't let up its grip on the reamer. It was nearly impossible to turn. I had to use a rod and a soft mallet and BEAT the reamer on through the cylinder throat. Not kidding, this was a first out of how many cylinders done now?

The remaining 5 throats cut like butter. Go Figure! Took it to the Sunnen hone, throats were smooth and nice looking so I didn't need to start with a coarse grit, I started with a 400 grit Borazon stone, went to a 500 grit Borazon, then a 500 grit Silicon Carbide stone, and finally the 800 grit ball hone that I finish polish with.

All 5 throats that had cut easily passed a Z minus .4525" pin gage with predictable drag fit. The one odd throat would not even start the .4525" pin. I went back over it 2 more times with the same stones, still no go. Finally had to drop back to a 280 grit stone and take a little meat out of it, then I could once again finish with the Borazon stones and the ball hone. Now, it takes the .4525" pin with (LUCKILY) the same amount of drag fit as the rest of the throats. This one even finished a different color than the others!

This one was exceptionally odd, I have seen this on 3 adjacent throats out of 6 on the same cylinder a few times now, but just to illustrate how inconsistent the steel is, greatly affects the finished diameter of the throat "as reamed" since the .4525" pin would go in all the others but not the one odd throat but yet the same reamer just went through all 6.

There is NO WAY to predict how the cylinder is going to act until you stick a reamer in it and start cutting. By that time you are committed. Best have your plan B and plan C already thought out..

Latest posts