Blackhawk 44 Special For Farm Carry

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Major T

Blackhawk
I bought the first SS flattop shipped to a Dallas dealer ( just happened to be over there when it came in) and could not be happier with it for ranch use. During busy seasons, my farmer/rancher son-in-law occasionally needs help checking cattle, windmills, fences, and etc. it is plenty for rattlesnakes, coyotes, porcupines, and hogs. No bear, but with the exploding deer population, cougars will be expected to move in. I load 240 Keith bullets to near 1000 fps. Jack

Sapo

Single-Sixer
I bought a 5.5" 44 special just for ranch carry (plus I wanted a 44 special). I did buy the Bisley as I am partial to the grip. Hunter makes an inexpensive crossdraw, but I have yet to order. Getting in and out of the pick up is tough with a strong side holster. Don't need nothing fancy to carry in the brush.

Sapo

I like the .44 special. Commercial ammo for it is like gold-hard to find and expensive. I reload so that helps save. I find the SA's are heavy(41 oz). I just bought another Charter Arms Bulldog-27 oz.(I prefer DA) in .44 spcl. for woods carry. This one is rated for +p ammo-WooHoo. Too bad Ruger I just couldn't wait. Yes, the cartridge will do well for you even if you run up on a bear.
gramps

Rclark

Hunter
Gramps, just curious. I just looked at the CA site, and there is no reference to +P .44 Special ammo for any of the Bulldogs. As far as I know there isn't any +P SAAMI standard either for .44 Special.... So curious where you found that information. I only shoot standard .44 Special reloads in mine on the high side of .44SPEC (6.3g Unique under 240g SWC) . Now my .44Spec Flattops get hotter loads than SAAMI (The skeeter load and the occasional Keith load) ... but not my Bulldog. I woods carry my BHs rather than the Bulldog.

Rclark said:
Gramps, just curious. I just looked at the CA site, and there is no reference to +P .44 Special ammo for any of the Bulldogs. As far as I know there isn't any +P SAAMI standard either for .44 Special.... So curious where you found that information. I only shoot standard .44 Special reloads in mine on the high side of .44SPEC (6.3g Unique under 240g SWC) . Now my .44Spec Flattops get hotter loads than SAAMI (The skeeter load and the occasional Keith load) ... but not my Bulldog. I woods carry my BHs rather than the Bulldog.
A little tag that came attached to the trigger guard that said: 3-point lockup=stronger frame, 8 groove Harrell= higher velocity, faster lock time=better accuracy, most compact on the market by 20%, hammer block safety=original concept, + P rated, lifetime warranty, made in the USA!
It came in a very nice plastic case.
gramps

Rclark

Hunter
+ P rated
Wow. Those cylinder walls are so thin on the Bulldog.... Just did a quick search for what +P means in .44Spec, and I am not coming up with any hits that pin it down. Some say this, some say that .... Certainly can't be 17.0g of 2400 under 240g SWC (the 1200fps Keith Load) ..... Hmmmm. Interesting.... I wouldn't think a manufacturer would stick their neck out, when +P isn't even a SAAMI standard, which means the sky's the limit. Anyway, thanks for your reply!

Cholo

Staff member
At 27oz's they must have beefed them up quite a bit. My old blue 3" weighs under 19oz's. I've shot 100's of hard cast 235 gr SWC's over 6.3 grs of Unique and it's as tight as it's ever been. I don't shoot it much anymore but will load it with 6.5 grs if I do because that's what I shoot in my Colt New Frontier.

Gramps which one do you have that's 27 oz? I have the 2.5" Bulldog 44 special and (at least on) Charter Arms web site it says 21 oz. I like mine. Regardless of the light weight I'm very impressed with how it handles recoil. There are also some great new 44 Special rounds out there as well. Picked up some from Federal recently. Looks like it will handle almost anything.

Ok, guys I mis-spoke. The paper work that came with it says 20 oz for the SS and 22 oz for the blue version. Both have 2.5 inch barrels. Of course I have the SS. Yeah I wondered about the +P. maybe it can take Buffalo Bore ammo now? I was interested in 1000 fps ammo. Anyway I was going to load up some ammo and could only find 9 cases. Can't imagine where I put around 30!
gramps

Okie69

Bearcat
That specific Charter Arms Bulldog is listed on Gun Broker showing the tag with the upgraded specs.

Chuckfish

Single-Sixer
Wow this thread has taken a life of it's own...I am gonna order the shorter barreled version and try to carry cross draw at first. If not I'll carry strong side. I reload so I already have 2lbs of unique and 500 rounds of 240 gr . keith style boolits. That autta keep me busy for a while..

Sounds like I'm not alone in the 44 spec. camp. Thanks for all the input and advise.

Rclark

Hunter
Chuckfish, when you start talk'n .44Special, there are a lot of us that just have to put in our two and half cents worth. One of those calibers that, well, you can't say enough about :) . With Elmer, Skeeter, Taffin, Pearce, and others .... Your in good company :) . As with .45 Colt, I won't be without a .44Spec handy either.

500 rounds? Yep keep you busy for a 'little' while.... I think I went through double that, in the last month or so.....

RoverSig

Bearcat
An excellent choice. I have a flattop .44 SPC in the 4 5/8 barrel and really like it for its handiness.

It is often overlooked, but the modern SAA is one of the safest handguns, in a practical sense, as long as it isn't carried cocked -- and why would it be? Carried with the hammer down, the SAA revolver cannot be fired by something catching or hooking the trigger (unlike a double action revolver). Doesn't sound that likely to happen, but things catch on things, dogs jump up on you, sticks stick you, etc.

jackruff

Bearcat
My Super Blackhawk 5.5" is my favorite tractor gun. It rides better than my 6" GP100 for some reason. Maybe it's the holsters. Of course, the SBH is a .44 magnum and not a .44 Special, but the loads I use are equivalent to specials. I don't have any shot shells, though. And I need some. The rats I've shot at run and jump too fast to hit with solid bullets!

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
.44Spl is good. Don't have a Ruger .44Spl per se , but if had found one at the right time , I would have.

I have carried .45LC 3.5 Vaquero around the barn, and can attest to the effecency of the CCI Shotshells on jumbo rats.

I have always wanted to like crossdraw, but for reasonable bbl lengths just like strong side Oancakes too much. The one exception is a Ross crossdraw for above Vaquero, sometimes use that when using the Vaq as a second gun. Other than that , CD doesn't come into its own until talking 7.5 bbls while driving with a bench seat.

Floridaoutdoors

Single-Sixer
My Ruger Flat Top .44 Special, 4 5/8" Bbl. is a favorite. Buffalo Bore offers "Heavy" .44 Special,255 Grain Keith. Comfy to shoot.Ammo availability is improving.

I have Private Schultz grips. In keeping with the overall trim design I went with standard design panels- possibly a wee bit wider than factory but still trim.

Strongly considering Charter Arms 2.5" Bbl five shot .44 Special.........because Ruger does not yet apparently offer such.

Latest posts