revhigh

Hawkeye
Hey Woodspirits and Sixpak !!

There's 2 sides to every story.

How about a truce ???

REVHIGH !!!!!

Sixpak

Bearcat
A truce sounds good to me. I think we are all here for the same reason to learn or help others learn, enjoy our purchases right or wrong and work togther to help each another when there is a need. The truce is a great idea. So "its on" for me. I really appreciate it too. Thank you.

Sixpak

woodspirits

Bearcat
sixpac wrote: A truce sounds good to me. I think we are all here for the same reason to learn or help others learn, enjoy our purchases right or wrong and work togther to help each another when there is a need. The truce is a great idea. So "its on" for me. I really appreciate it too. Thank you.

DITTO.....JR

backdrafted

Bearcat
Hello, long time no see this thread. Shot my post recall SR9 today and noticed minor peening while cleaning. It was a just like a little glance before and after about 800 rounds. Today I noticed the metal peening back like a wave on the suspect spot. Very small. Now the only thing that I did different today was shoot some 5 year old (guessing) +p+ federal hydra shocks, only 5 rounds. I have reviewed this whole thread before posting tonight and I do think that slide velocity has something to do with it. Granted some earlier models weren't up to spec causing the peening but I'm thinking that +p+ is just too much for the SR9. Also I have shot about 25 or so of this +p+ in my p89 over the years and yes it also shows some peening on the barrel as well. Slide velocity comes to mind again. Just thought I'd bring this up because my barrel didn't show this for 800+ rounds until I shot this hot stuff. I think the super hot loads are not good for my SR9 or my P89. REF: Shot 250 wwb fmj after I got it back from the recall and didn't notice anything, today was 2nd post recall session. I'm wondering if federal even still makes +p+ hydrashocks and if not this might be why. It tears up guns.

Gunsby_Blazen

Single-Sixer
i got some peening after only about 30 rounds.....
i was on the phone today but they told me they would have to call me back.....

i just got this gun and it upsets me that i might have to send a brand new gun back to the factory.....

so i am just waiting right now.....
for them to call me back

desertrat

Single-Sixer
I've had my SR9 for a couple of years now and have only put about 600-700 rounds through it and am now starting to see small signs of peening, especially on the bottom sides of the barrel where it hits the slide frame during cycling. It's not severe yet but if it continues to worsen, I'll have to send it in for service. The top front and rear of the barrel, where it locks against the slide is barely showing signs there also, but not like the other spot I mentioned.

woodsman1st

Bearcat
I just sent my SR9 back for repair due to the slide not staying open on the last shot. I enclosed a note stateing that the barrel was beginning to peen; I also mentioned that this seemed to becoming a problem as I have read many posts on the SR9 peening. They returned my SR9 to me; the slide will now stay open; however no mention of the peening. I called ruger and they said they would get back to me...too busy just then. Next day I receive a call from a rather sulky individual who volunteered nothing and answered my question reluctantly and in as few words as possible...a real jerk! When I asked him about the peening he stated my gun was NOT peening. By the way at no time did I argue with him or raise my voice...nothing.. I told him that I had sent a note stating exactly where it was peening; he said "your gun isn't peening". I mentioned this forum and photos of peening and said my gun is peening exactly where photos show peening; he told me the forums are wrong there is no peening. So I kept my temper and asked him "when the peening gets worse will you replace the barrel or what"? He replied Ruger barrels dont peen. I thanked him for his time; called up an hour later, after I had cooled down and made an official complaint to Susan, the Dept head!
I have owned Rugers since the early 1950s and NEVER met anyone like this jerk! This is just a warning; get the name of who you talk to so you can make a complaint if you need to; this is my first one in over 50 years of owning Rugers. Hopefully this guy will soon be history.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Yep sounds like typical Ruger in regards to the peening issue. It took me over a year to get my peening issue resolved. As far as Susan goes well what can I say without being censored. I dealt with her about the least three months of my ordeal she was one the most unhelpfully unresponsive abrasive people I have ever dealt with at any company. With her being the dept. head there is little hope of anyone under her being any better. I even complained about her and my ordeal to the CEO of Ruger in a five page letter. Never received a response.

gregnauman

Bearcat
I REALLY need to get out and shoot mine. I received mine back a few weeks ago for SERIOUS Peening. Look up my thread for pics.

They replaced the barrel and thats it. I need to shoot it to see if it does it again.

desertrat

Single-Sixer
woodsman1st":14u7h1v7 said:
.....When I asked him about the peening he stated my gun was NOT peening...... he said "your gun isn't peening".....he told me the forums are wrong there is no peening......He replied Ruger barrels dont peen....

I wish you would have asked him what Ruger's definition of peening is.

I wonder if peening, to them, is what a penny looks like after a train has run over it? :roll:

raw6464

Bearcat
woodsman1st":1jjek7xg said:
I just sent my SR9 back for repair due to the slide not staying open on the last shot. I enclosed a note stateing that the barrel was beginning to peen; I also mentioned that this seemed to becoming a problem as I have read many posts on the SR9 peening. They returned my SR9 to me; the slide will now stay open; however no mention of the peening. I called ruger and they said they would get back to me...too busy just then. Next day I receive a call from a rather sulky individual who volunteered nothing and answered my question reluctantly and in as few words as possible...a real jerk! When I asked him about the peening he stated my gun was NOT peening. By the way at no time did I argue with him or raise my voice...nothing.. I told him that I had sent a note stating exactly where it was peening; he said "your gun isn't peening". I mentioned this forum and photos of peening and said my gun is peening exactly where photos show peening; he told me the forums are wrong there is no peening. So I kept my temper and asked him "when the peening gets worse will you replace the barrel or what"? He replied Ruger barrels dont peen. I thanked him for his time; called up an hour later, after I had cooled down and made an official complaint to Susan, the Dept head!
I have owned Rugers since the early 1950s and NEVER met anyone like this jerk! This is just a warning; get the name of who you talk to so you can make a complaint if you need to; this is my first one in over 50 years of owning Rugers. Hopefully this guy will soon be history.

This is called the old "who you gunna believe... me or your lying eyes" customer service replies when they know they got a problem and they know their not going to acknowledge or fix the product already in the field.

Go buy a Glock if you want a time tested polymer/striker semiauto with unequalled firepower. It's bland utilitarian look is it's worst downside.

woodsman1st

Bearcat
RAW6464;
I tried my son in laws Glock 19 and didn't like it much; especially the angle of the grip to the barrel. Then too, in order to shoot handloads I would have to buy an aftermarket barrel; last but not the least is the fact that the Glock is REALLY UGLY! I am from the era of high blue and great looking wood on firearms; not these ugly black guns that I can't stand the looks of.
I still believe that Ruger will take care of this problem of peening; when is the part I am concerned with.
Ken

raw6464

Bearcat
woodsman1st":i705thgd said:
RAW6464;
I tried my son in laws Glock 19 and didn't like it much; especially the angle of the grip to the barrel. Then too, in order to shoot handloads I would have to buy an aftermarket barrel; last but not the least is the fact that the Glock is REALLY UGLY! I am from the era of high blue and great looking wood on firearms; not these ugly black guns that I can't stand the looks of.
I still believe that Ruger will take care of this problem of peening; when is the part I am concerned with.
Ken

First let me say I'm not a Ruger basher. I own several Ruger guns, the Blackhawk is probably the best SA revolver $ for $ on the market. And I'm not saying Glock has not had problems either.

But as for the SR9, Ruger can do whatever they want and the SR9 will still not be a Glock. Your sons dislike is an individual preference which holds true for EVERY gun EVER made. So that's not really a indication of the guns quality, performance, simplicity, maintenance, fire power...etc...etc.

There is a very good reason why Glocks are the weapon of choice for most major LE departments and military organizations. They were not in the run in the USA military because I under stand no manual safety was an issue. But more significant was Gaston Glock withdrew from the trials when the DOJ required he release the patent to allow other companies manufacture the Glock.

Having said that, there are several things I don't like about Glock the company but not Glock the gun. So for me at the end of the day, Glock by popularity demand is the best ugliest semiauto pistol in the world. Function ALWAYS trumps form when your life is on the line.

woodsman1st

Bearcat
raw6464
I believe you misunderstood what I said; It was not my son that disliked the Glock; it was me; and as you stated, it was personal preference.

"Ruger can do whatever they want and the SR9 will still not be a Glock"; true; and nothing about the SR9 looks like a glock except for the new safety on the trigger copied from Glock, as other mfgs have done. It would be a sad world if every firearm looked like every other firearm; especially if they were all like the "black guns" that I dislike so much. lol

Glock is a fine firearm with an enviable record; and I don't dislike them; I just like the way the SR9 feels in my hand; the way that it comes naturally onto target without any adjusting or further movement; and Rugers enviable record of customer service (peening excluded for now),also my 60 some years of Ruger ownership, and lastly, I think it a more handsome looking firearm than the all black UGLY Glock. lol

I agree "Function ALWAYS trumps form when your life is on the line"; well said! In my personal case, the Ruger comes into line of sight noticably quicker, and I am much faster and more accurate with the Ruger. So for me, and only for me, the Ruger is the obvious choice; especially if someday my life should depend on my ability to respond to a threat quickly and decisively. Glock is a fine firearm...I just think they are ugly as I do the current fad with all those ugly black long guns; I love a high blue barrel and a fine piece of walnut, maple, osage, etc., and the stocks finely checkered.

I read an article titled "WE SHOOT OUR FATHERS GUNS" (or something like that). I grew up in the era after WW2 and grew up appreciating blued barrels, fine wood and checkering; Mauser 98s, Mod 70s, Enfields, Springfields, etc. Then came Nam; and the kids grew up with the black guns I find so unatractive; great firearms and versatile as all get out; I just don't like their looks. My children are following in my footsteps; as are my grandchildren....so far; I do expect them to change. It's a personal choice.

By the way; I'm not too nuts about the looks of the SR9 either; it just happens to be one of the better looking pistols on the market IMHO. Now if only someone would come out with a pistol that looked like the old S&W 9mm with the high blue finish and checkered wooden grips; and that functioned as well as these newer models, I would buy one in a heartbeat; too lazy to look it up right now, but from memory, I think they were called S&W model 33 or 39, not too sure; but they were one of the better pistols of that era; very few MALFS; and carried by quite a few LEOs, when the majority of LEOs were still using wheel guns. If I could find one in decent shape, I might just try to arrange a swap.

Coming from the old school as I do, I still don't fully trust a semi auto; and even though my SR9 has never had a MALF, that's why my BUG is a wheel gun; Ruger SP101; never a MALF with a wheelie.

Take care
Ken

jazzman

Single-Sixer
Ken,
I could not have said it any better. I am 56 years old and grew up during a time of classic lines, beautiful blueing and wood grips. I tried to love the glocks, ar's etc. even going so far as to buy a few, but in the end I sold them. The only one I kept was a H&K usp9 which is my nightstand gun. I guess our time is passing and no longer will we see anything but ugly guns. Sad, really sad. Oh well, rant off.

Jazzman

DogBone

Bearcat
Woodsman1st, thank you for sharing these fine thoughts.

I'm in my late '30s, and I am also very much "old school" in my preferences for guns.

I love beautiful blueing, fine wood work and checkering, and graceful lines, and I agree that those aesthetics are simply not much in demand anymore.

Heck, my stainless GP100 was barely acceptable to me in the early '90s when I bought it, but I did excuse it's "modern" look due to it's stellar reputation to simply work when it's supposed to. But at least it has the wood grip inserts. :)

Anyway, I'm reading these articles because I'm very interested in the SR9c, and trying to get an understanding of the original issues w/ the SR9.

Currently I don't own a single semi-auto pistol, and I'm still not convinced I really want to. But I guess I'm still holding out for a small, reliable, American made pistol that doesn't break the bank, and again simply works when it's supposed to.

Maybe it will be the SR9c, maybe I'll just stick to wheelies and get a hammerless SP101. :roll:

P.S. Woodsman1st, also I saw you refer to Ruger copying the safety trigger from Glock. Maybe a nitpick, but just for the record, safety triggers predate the Glock design by decades. :wink:

Heck, there's one on my .32 Iver Johnson's Arms and Cycle Works. :)

_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_I-2.jpg
_MediaCard_BlackBerry_pictures_I-1.jpg

miniman

Single-Sixer
they must be cutting costs and doing away with quality control that is not the ruger way.the smell of plastic must be affecting there brains.thats a real slap in the face at least no one was hurt. sure hope this is not the wave of the future for ruger .to make all these recalls after new releases is getting old and a free mag just wont cut it.