Black SR9, Pictures and peening

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodsman1st

Bearcat
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Every time I turn around someone is showing me I dont know everything; and that's great! I think life would be miserable if there was nothing left to learn. Based on that concept I am enjoying a wonderful life, because I still have so doggone much to learn even after 75 years. lol

DogBone thanks for the information; (it's NOT "nitpicking" at all) I had no idea that the safety trigger went so far back. What a great feature it is; the safety trigger is the ONLY reason that I carry with one in the tube and the other safety not engaged; however, I am still EXTREMELY CAUTIOUS when carrying in this manner. I seldom make suggestions to others; but in this case I will make an exception; ALWAYS CARRY IN THE SAME MANNER! If you carry as I, and many others do, with one in the tube relying only on the safety trigger, then ALWAYS carry that way! When the SHTF is no time to find out that the other manual safety is on and you forgot it. There is no "time out; kings ex" or just a second please; while I take mine off the safety that I forgot about because my adreniline just dumped a huge load of crap in my physical system, and all I am working on is my gross motor skills because my fine motor skills went south somewheres. I have had several active and retiredl LEOs in another forum "suggest" to me that I also carry in the same place at all times; and I take this "suggestion" from these old warriors to heart...they have all "been there and done that". If you carry on your strong side hip (or wherever) always carry there! You dont want to reach for your hip when the SHTF, and then remember, far too late, that you are using a cross draw today. "YOU WILL FIGHT AS YOU TRAIN"...you will not think...YOU WILL REACT AS YOU HAVE TRAINED! Now your place of carry with your BUG 'may' change slightly depending on how your dressed; but those places should ALWAYS be the same as much as possible. Those are NOT my original opinions; although i do agree wholeheartedly! Those opinions came from the guys that defended us daily; who put there lives on the line every day they went to work; and lived through it all; the highly esteemed (IMHO) venerable and honorable old warriors, both active and retired LEOs; God bless them all; and our youngsters, the young men and women now fighting for America, may God please bless them as well.

I have not seen of handled the compact version of the SR9; so I can't offer an opinion on it; however I do like the concept. The SR9 I find just a tad difficult to conceal (slim and small wasited); and the compact version may be just the ticket. And although I am still a tad uneasy carrying with one in the tube, the additional ( possible life saving) firepower (17 +1) shots have forced this long time wheelgun man to purchase the SR9. I recently read an article that stated that on a national average when in a gunfight for your life, the miss rate is something like 85%; with only 14 or 15% of the shots fired actually hitting the kill zone. These figures are for highly trained LEOs. In that well publizied New York gun fight, I believe that only 14 of the 40 shots fired by LEO's actually hit the suspect. I may be off by one or two shots as I am relying on memory; but the message is loud and clear; additional firepower is needed even by highly trained LEO's.

Regarding the hammerless version of the SP101, or any compact wheelgun with the hammer spur, I too was also considering grinding off the spur so that it would not get snagged while trying to draw from a pocket etc. When I asked for an opinion on grinding off the spur from the forum mentioned earlier, the majority were against it. Their reasoning made sense to me. Leave the spur on for when you need to take that extremely accurate shot that just may save your life, or that of a loved one. Instead these LEO's suggested placing my thumb over the hammer as I try to draw from my pocket, they stated the thumb over the hammer works just as well. So I spent a day practising drawing from a coat pocket and from my pants pocket; I tried it slow draw, quick draw, and as fast as I could draw; I shot up 200 rounds trying this method out; and it worked for me. It really does work; but it does take a little practice like anything else. So if your considering a hammerless version of any compact wheel gun, I suggest that you spend some time with your thumb over the hammer when you draw from a pocket; it may work for you too. Now I have the option of firing my SP101 in single action for that very special extremely accurate shot, that just might be needed someday. I repeat, this advice came from these wise old warriors that lived every work day with their lives on the line. Try it; you may change your mind as I did.

Today I will reassemble my SP101 after taking a day to polish the innards like a mirror; I fully expect it to handle like that glass smooth Colt Python of yesteryear. I installed a spring kit as well. If anyone is interested in tuning up your own Ruger to work like glass, I suggest you buy a fantasticly detailed how to book for only 15 bucks from IOWEGAN. An extremely detailed book with outstanding photos; and it works for Ruger's GP-100, Super Redhawk, SP101, Security Six, and Redhawk. It has lots of gunsmithing tips that 90% of us can follow. A truly outstanding book written by a retired gunsmith that really knows his stuff!
Ken

Doble Troble

Bearcat
That's what mine looked like. I filed it off. It came back less severly. I filed it off again. It hasn't come back.

Before I decided to file it got to the point where cycling got rough. The filing smoothed this out.

I also polished everything that was making contact - barrel and frame.

I don't necessarily recommend filing on your new gun. I've got some tinkering under my belt. If you go this route just take it back flush and maybe break any resulting edge - don't change angles.

Guns that get shot get beat up. Beat up doesn't necessarily mean unreliable. A beat up gun that works is still useful. A pretty gun that doesn't work relaibly is not something I want.

Most semi-autos are semi-reliable. I've never had a semi-auto that didn't need some tinkering to get it to run 95% - a couple of times it took finding/making the right ammo w/o gun modification.

I've never had a new revolver that wasn't 100% with factory ammo. But I carry a semi-auto that I've shot enough that it's beat up. I would't hesitate to carry my SR-9. Usually it's an LCP. When going large an aluminum Officer frame 1911 (that's beat up, modified and has become reliable).