Bisley 44 Mag Super Blackhawk Scope Base Mounting Problems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bisley Lover

Bearcat
I just purchased a 7 1/2" Ruger Bisley 44 Mag. It is identified on the revolver as a Super Blackhawk. I am trying to mount a scope on the gun. I own 3 other new Ruger Blackhawks in 357 Mag, 41 Rem Mag & 45 Colt. These 3 are also 7 1/2". I mounted Burris 2x handgun scopes on these using a B-Square Weaver style base that replaced the rear sight and used the elevation screw on the rear to make the mount along with an adjustable clamp around the barrel to secure the base. I cannot find that B-Square still makes this base. I ordered a Weaver 301 base claimed to fit New Model Super Blackhawks and that mounts the same as the B-Square in the back sight and uses a non-adjustable barrel partial clamp. Unfortunately when I received the Weaver 301, it will not fit. There is not enough space in the middle of the base to fit over the receiver. I can only guess that the receiver for the Bisley is longer than the receiver on the non-Bisley Super Blackhawk.

Can anyone clarify this for me and suggest an alternative Wesver style base for my Bisley Super Blackhawk? Thanks for any help you can give.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The frame on the Bisley Blackhawk and the super Blackhawk are the same, or are supposed to be. The only difference is the gripframe.
I was under the impression the Weaver 301 base would fit any Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk or Bisley Blackhawk. Perhaps there is something wrong with the mount?

The only alterative that I know of, are a few drill and tap mounts like from Jack Weigand. :D
http://jackweigand.com/raswms.html

rob-c

Single-Sixer
if I remember right on my black hawk I had to remove the half moon clip from the mount and slide it down the barrel from the front sight back. but it may not work for you if your super doesn't have a tapered barrel, or it may if you can orient it around your sight...

Bisley Lover

Bearcat
Thanks for the suggestions. It is too late to purchase a Hunter. I have not even fired the Bisley, but I would take a loss in trying to sell it. My barrel is tapered and the half moon clip slides up the barrel to a point where the barrel becomes too large for the mount to move further. The half moon clip that goes over the barrel is an integral part of the Weaver 301, and the cutout to go over the receiver portion of the Bisley is just not large enough to fit over it. So, it appears that the best suggestion here is to have a gunsmith use a Jack Weigand base and drill & tap the receiver.

rob-c

Single-Sixer
ok so I don't have the one you have in front of me, but I went to amazon and midway and the ones shown have a removable front clip (allen head bolt), checked a few reviews on midway and a few guys said the clip was installed backwards so it wouldn't go on their super. if it were me I would order another and retry it before I had my gun drilled and tap. but that's me good luck....

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I have 3 or 4 of those mounts on Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks, all fit, and on all of them the clip IS removable. I also have a Bisley Super Blackhawk, but it is a Hunter model with the rib and integrated mount system, which really is sweet. That one was the3 easiest to "get on paper" of any of my handguns, and remains my most accurate handgun (2X Weaver scope).

rkrcpa

Single-Sixer
Here's my Bisley with the Weaver mount

Can you post a picture of your mount that shows where you don't have clearance?

tuner

Bearcat
I just installed a Weaver 301 base on a Ruger Super Blackhawk this past Saturday. The SBH frame dimension is the same frame as the Bisley, the only difference is the grip and hammer. I looked at the Weaver site and they make a 301 for the Super Blackhawk and a 306 for the SA 22; from the picture I saw they looked very similar but I would guess that the 306 mount is dimensionally smaller and I am sure it would not fit on the Super. I am wondering if perhaps a 306 got miss-packaged and you received one of those instead of the 301? Certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
As several have posted and I agree, the SBH cyl frame is the same size as all other large frame Blackhawks. The next move is reporting the 301 mount to your supplier as incorrect. If it won't fit your SBH, it won't fit any other buyers' Blackhawk either.