BHG Vaquero, ream 45 ACP cylinder to 45 Colt?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yankee_Papa

Bearcat
The chambers in my 45 ACP Vaquero have very abrupt forcing cones which require my bullets to be seated deep or the cartridges will not headspace on the case mouth. And, then bullets have a very long jump to the barrel. It looks like the cylinder is the same as what the factory uses for the 45 COLT. The length is certainly there. Can a gunsmith ream the chambers to accept 45 Colt cartridges?

bisleyfan41

Blackhawk
The chambers in my 45 ACP Vaquero have very abrupt forcing cones which require my bullets to be seated deep or the cartridges will not headspace on the case mouth. And, then bullets have a very long jump to the barrel. It looks like the cylinder is the same as what the factory uses for the 45 COLT. The length is certainly there. Can a gunsmith ream the chambers to accept 45 Colt cartridges?
If it was mine, with those issues, it'd be on its way to Ruger for them to repair or replace the acp cylinder.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
The forcing cone is the entry to the barrel not in the cylinder.
Sounds like what you have is tight throats in the cylinder. That is a simple fix. Have you accurately measured the throats?,,,, that is the first step.
Or call Fermin G. 361-960-3697 to make a new friend and get it measured and fixed correctly.
45LC cylinders are a dime a dozen but ACP cylinders are a gift from GOD,,,,,,, especially in a short barreled snubby gun.
Fix the ACP cyl. and keep it that way.

G2

Hunter
Lots of good info here.
Let me clarify a little.

Ruger will want the entire gun and once it gets there,,,,
A determination will be; The 45acp cylinder is within spec.
Ruger will not do any "gunsmithing" they replace parts.

Want your ACP cylinder "tuned" up,,,
Get ahold ahold of Fermin Garza, he will do you a excellent job at a very fair price, and usually he doesn't need the entire gun, shipping USPS for less than ~$10.
Number is in the thread above/\/\/\.

FWIW;
I have your same set up, and purchased 500pcs of Starline 45 Cowboy Special. They are ACP Length, Rimmed, eject easily, especially with the short ER.
Look into it, I think you will like it.

I also have the 45 Colt Cylinder, never use it anymore, because of the Ejection process.

Last edited:

hittman

Staff member
I second the recommendation to Fermin Garza. User name here is "2 dogs" I think.
He helped me out with an OM 30 Carbine and sticking cases. I thought it was a big deal …. It was quick and easy and very reasonable price!

Rclark

Hunter
45-C cylinders are a dime a dozen but ACP cylinders are a gift...
Well, opinions do differ on that subject :) . .45 Colt is good for all applications from snubbies to long barreled revolvers :) . No need for .45 Auto at all ;) . Leave it for the 1911s.

If you only have one .45 Colt revolver that needs reaming, then farming it out to Fermin is a good deal. Otherwise, you can buy the tool and just do it yourself as I did. It it simple to use. One can never have to many 'tools' around :) .

shoot to thrill

Single-Sixer
Well, opinions do differ on that subject :) . .45 Colt is good for all applications from snubbies to long barreled revolvers :) . No need for .45 Auto at all ;) . Leave it for the 1911s.

If you only have one .45 Colt revolver that needs reaming, then farming it out to Fermin is a good deal. Otherwise, you can buy the tool and just do it yourself as I did. It it simple to use. One can never have to many 'tools' around :) .
I say the same thing. why bother with the ACP rimless round and the half moon clips when you could load the 45 colt to ACP specs?

I say the same thing. why bother with the ACP rimless round and the half moon clips when you could load the 45 colt to ACP specs?
You should try a SA revolver sometime. SA revolvers do not use moon clips. The empties eject via an ejector plunger. Rims are not part of the ejecting process at all, and rimlesss cartridges headspace on the case mouth.

shoot to thrill

Single-Sixer
You should try a SA revolver sometime. SA revolvers do not use moon clips. The empties eject via an ejector plunger. Rims are not part of the ejecting process at all, and rimlesss cartridges headspace on the case mouth.
I have SA ruger 45 colt and see no need to buy an extra cylinder for a round I can load the 45 colt to. others like to have ACP cylinders and that is OK

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I have no use for a 45 ACP cyl in a single action. But there are reasons for those that do and/or carry the SA as a defense gun:

1. If you don't reload, ACP ammo is cheaper and easier to find.

2. By using a full moon clip in a spare ACP cyl you can speed load a single action by popping out the cyl with empty cases and popping in the preloaded with a moon clip spare ACP cyl.

3. Or with one ACP cyl, to reload just pop out the cyl, dump the moon clip with empty cases. Then reload 6 ACP rounds pre loaded in a moon clip from a belt pouch, pop the cyl back in and your ready to shoot.