Best Pistol Dies

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
One of the biggest issues I see with people reloading 9mm is they're not sizing properly from the git go. They set the decapping pin too long and set their sizing die too high. That case needs to go full length into the die. When a 9mm pistol fires a round the case takes on the dims of the chamber (fireformed) and those dims aren't necessarily (probably not)correct for a 9mm, so the case is out of spec. Sizing is key, anything after that won't fix a poorly sized case. It is a tapered case after all.

Don Davis

Bearcat
Thanks for all the useful input

Looks like the Lyman and Redding dies are popular for their better expander,

I note that prices vary widely, hence my reason for asking. Lyman are MUCH cheaper than Redding for example. Looks like I may try a set of Lyman dies here.

On the issue of mouth flaring, perhaps different expander dies produce a different angle - if the angle on the Lee dies is too steep that could be causing the trouble mentioned.

Don Davis

Bearcat
One more question

Looking at dies listed at Midway, some of the 32 dies say 32 H&R Mag and some say 32 H&R + 327 Fed Mag. Is there a length difference in the dies, or did some manufacturers just tag 327 onto the end of their descriptions ?

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I always start(ed) a new chambering with a Lyman 4-die 'Deluxe' set.
Then I'd add at least one LEE set.
And either a Redding Profile Crimp Die (revolver chamberings) or a LEE Carbide Factory Crimp Die (autos).
Then more more more.

I gotta lotta dies.

wildwilly

Bearcat
I have close to 50 sets of dies from about all manufactors.They cost more but I like Redding about the best followed by Bonanza.I use and don't really have any problems with the Lee dies I have now.In 35 years of reloading I've had 2 defective dies and they were both Lee

JEFraze

Single-Sixer
I like to use the Lee reloading dies with the carbide full length sizer.
Also the lee dies come with the shell holder and powder diper. They are also usually cheeaper than the other brands.

Hylander

Single-Sixer
JohnM said:
All good, you could add Lee to the list too.
I like Redding dies, the neck expander is just like the Lyman M, I actually like it a little better.

Any Pics of the expander ball
Also Is there a place to look up what the actual diameters are of the belling ?
Particularly interested in .44 Mag

Reload

Bearcat
I used to think it was only one brand and one brand only.

Then I tried another brand and saw some merits.

and so on.

They all have their good points.

I have an awful lot of different brands now and I am glad for it.

Take the plunge.

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
I use Lee dies because they are compatible with the Pro Auto Disk powder measure. I have never had reason to try other brands, as the Lee's have always made great reloads....
myguns102.jpg

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
Don Davis said:
One more question

Looking at dies listed at Midway, some of the 32 dies say 32 H&R Mag and some say 32 H&R + 327 Fed Mag. Is there a length difference in the dies, or did some manufacturers just tag 327 onto the end of their descriptions ?
From one Don Davis to another... :)

32 H&R will reload 327 Federal magnum since the cases are merely longer. What one does is back the dies out a turn or to so as to compensate for the longer case. Some die sets come with spacers to automatically set for the correct case length.

It's pretty much the same way with using 38 special dies to reload 357 Magnum and using 44 Special dies to reload 44 Magnum.