Bending front sight blade on original Vaquero to target?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cas6969

Buckeye
Best of luck to you. I went down that road myself without any luck. Two trips to Ruger, barrel turning, sight bending, read sight widening, re-crowning and none would solve the problem. Either the frame casting was funky or the barrel hole in the frame was out of line. I refused to dump a dog on someone else, so I kept fighting, wasting more money and effort on it. Finally giving in all the way and having S&W rear sights added. But after all that the gun left such a bad taste in my mouth that I didn't want to look at it anymore and sold it for a lot less than I'd sunk into it at that point.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
Your Ruger Vaquero in 44mag is clearly defective. In lieu of tossing it in the garbage, please mail it to... ME!!!!!!!!!!!

But seriously, PLEASE don't bend the sight on that beautiful fat bottom girl!!! A proper 44mag Vaquero deserves a proper fix. Either have Ruger do it, or have a smith turn the barrel for alignment.

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
Consider the following. The windage on a fixed sight SA should not be fudged by turning the barrel. The barrel is cut and tightented to spec, sometimes lock-tite is used. The torque on the barrel is important and you may never get it to move that last few degrees without damaging the frame or the barrel threads. Plus you will get a sight that leans one way or the other. The other variable is the ejector alignment with the frame.

Vaquero front sights are soft soldered into place using a jig that holds it at a given position during the soldering. If you can fabricate a jig that works like this, you can easily warm up the solder paste with a propane torch and change the windage slightly. Blued guns might require a bit of cold bluing afterwards.

For elevation: most guns are set up to shoot high with "standard" loads, if such a round exists. High would mean an approximate 6 o-clock hold at about 15 yards. For .45C it would be a 250 grain bullet moving at about 850 fps. The final part of the equation is obviously the shooter's weight and shooting style which will change the elevation POI. The heavier shooter generally will see his shots group lower because the muzzle will not jump as much as with a lighter shooter.

Most of the time people leave elevation alone and just note where the gun shoots with a favorite round. Windage can and should be adjusted - most easily by the factory.

CU

CraigC

Hawkeye
Carry_Up said:
The windage on a fixed sight SA should not be fudged by turning the barrel.
Nonsense, turning the barrel is the proper fix. Send it to a gunsmith, that's what he'll do. Imperceptible movement makes drastic changes on target.

It is entirely likely that if the windage is significantly off on a newly manufactured fixed sight revolver, it is because of an error in production resulting in either over tightening or under tightening the barrel in the threads, with corresponding "tilt" of the front sight being induced.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
I have a Vaq that sot elevation just fine but windage was about 3" off at 15 yards. I bent the front sight, shoots where I point it now and never looked back. Looks kind of funny but everything from point blank tout to about 25 yards is to point of aim. Beyond 25 yards, my eyesight and ability to hold steady becomes a far bigger factor.

Jeff

Rodfac

Blackhawk
I managed to break the front sight off a baby Vaquero in .32 H&R some years ago. Having Ruger turn the barrel to zero your windage problems is a FAR better solution. Rod

sliclee

Single-Sixer
Are you right handed or left? Is the load your shooting going to be permanent? If right handed.....
you will need a safe file, this is a small file with no cuts on the edge, when using only the flat cuts. Are you with me so far.
You say the gun prints 6 inches to the right, YOUR POSITIVE, you have asked another at the range to shoot it and its the same, yes or no? This is important, you can remove but not add on.
This is done at the gun range after three small passes of the file load one with target at 15 yards, how much closer is it now?