Benchmark powder?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Anyone using Hodgdon Benchmark powder in a 223? I usually use H335 but its nowhere to be found around here and happened upon a good supply of benchmark. The data looks awful close to 335 so I thought id try some out.

I also grabbed a pound of allaint 10x to try. I have a couple of months to get ready for pdogs and to work up some new load recipes. Im loading on the lighter end for bullet weights and have a good pile of 50 grain v-max's so that is probably the first bullet i will try.

Tellico

Buckeye
CFE 223 seems to be in good supply around here, don't know if it is there. If you see some give it try. Works real well in my .223.
Fred

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
None of that or varget or anything else around here. Benchmark is about the only suitable 223 powder I can find unless I want to pay shipping and hazmat. Price isnt terrible and its less than paying shipping and hazmat , so I might as well keep it local.

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
My buddy tried several different ball powders in his AR15 but settled on Benchmark as the most accurate while giving the best velocity. I'm trying to find a ball powder somewhere locally to try in a new AR that I am putting together but no one has hardly any powder on the shelf, unless you need 50BMG or some other stuff that I have no need for (and apparently not many other folks either). There are many 55 grain bullets showing up, though the price is quite a bit higher than since they disappeared. I want to find some 60 grain bullets (non FMJ) but so far they are awol also. Where are the reloading components? A local dealer/gunsmith told me that about 85% of all production is being sold as components. Okay then where is it?

Clovishound

Blackhawk
I'm new to .223. I picked up a lb of IMR 4189 as it was the only thing available locally that had data for .223. So far I'm happy with it. Getting around 1 MOA groups or less with 55 gr Hornady SPs. Still getting to know the gun, and rifle shooting/loading in general. Looking forward to getting to the local range with longer distances.

The only thing to compare it to were a handful of IMR 4895 that my buddy had on hand. I was still sighting in the scope, so I can't really speak to accuracy differences.

It stinks that you have to grab what is available, instead of what you want. I'm still looking for some pistol powder. Been looking for over 6 months.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Im suprised at the replies about some of the results in AR's. I didnt think the data looked like a good match for the heavier stuff but I suppose it is so close to 335 so I might have to try in mine as well. The main duty for it will be varmint loads and lighter bullets.