Bench primer, which one?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triker

Single-Sixer
Looking for a bench primer that is dependable. I have a new Lee bench primer, but have a lot of stoppages. Mostly fail to feed. Takes a lot of pressure to seat 45 Colt primers in most any type brass. Is there a dependable bench press out there (that's affordable) ? What are others using? Have hand primers that work, but wear my 74 year old hands out. RCBS, Lyman, any others being used that work good? Triker

gunzo

Hunter
I guess it depends on what set up you have, but have you tried priming with the press?

triker

Single-Sixer
I have ram prime, but don't like the primer feeder for it and don't want to feed each one by hand. I have Lee bench primer and their new hand prime but want something a little more dependable. I have mostly Lee equipment and like most of it but I haven't had good luck with primer feeding, other than the new hand primer and it is to hard loading 45 Colt. Triker

Twoboxer

Single-Sixer
After my hands tired of the squeeze-a-primer tools, I bought the RCBS Auto Priming Tool. You must mount it to the bench, perhaps with clamps, and you must fill the same primer tubes with primers as if you were priming on a progressive press. It works great, especially when paired with a Hornady 1911 Auto Primer Tube Filler.

At that time Forster (Co-Ax Bench Priming Tool) also made one, but I didn't like the primer "tubes" they used and how they were filled. However, you might like that approach. Midway is out of stock and no backorders, so it might be unobtainium.

There are several other bench primers labeled "competition" or "match" that run $250 to at least $600. Maybe they work better :wink:

375supermag

Blackhawk
Hi...
I prime on an RCBS APS bench mounted priming tool.
Tens of thousands of cases primed over the years. I use the strip loader with Federal, CCI or what ever other primers I buy. It loads all of them without issue.