One more ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

crow#2

Single-Sixer
I mention buying ( some questions powder) the way things change I was wondering if this the same unique as several years ago.
I got 1 lb in the newer plastic jug and 5 lb in the old cardboard jug. The jugs/cans appear ok.
No water damage and caps have never had the plastic seal cut under the lid.I will start out with a 10% lower than manuals state.Then ck the brass and primers.
Thanks for any comments.

Chief 101

Hunter
I'm still using some Unique I bought 50 years ago so I can't say about the newer stuff but it holds up well with time...appx 100 years ago Unique powder was tested after soaking in water for a few years and then dried and loaded, all this done at the manufacturer for testing purposes and the abused Unique powder performed with flying colors...so if the powder doesn't smell or appear dusty I wouldn't worry about it. If you have any doubts or questions take to somebody that would be able to reassure you of it's quality...

contender

Ruger Guru
Unique's basic formula hasn't lasted over 100 years because it was a bad one. In fact,, as noted above,, the only real change is they did make it burn a bit cleaner. I've been using it for decades & it's one of my "go to" powders. And if I found a fair deal on old cans,, still sealed,, I'd buy w/o hesitation.

Dan in MI

Staff member
I have had this discussion many times. I always fall back to this thought. In today's litigious society there is absolutely no way a powder company could sell a powder of the same name with different qualities than in the past, with 25, 50, 100 years of published data out the using that name. Yes, there is ever consistent 10% disclaimer but beyond that they would have zero recourse if twas different and somebody got hurt.