Beautiful wood stocks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Some very nice wood here. I'm like a lot of you guys, something about pretty wood on a firearm that just makes me smile.

I did not buy these but I did build them but I did pick out the wood for the stocks just because I thought they would make pretty stocks.

.40 cal Flintlock Rifle
IMG_0350-1.jpg

.58 cal Flintlock Rifle
PA020019.jpg

20ga Smoothbore
P7130010.jpg

Thanks egl52-They're all unique and that's the beauty of good wood. I'm a sucker for burls, usually not seen on gunstocks.
jeffnles1-you do beautiful work. Great looking smokepoles. I especially like the rifle with the wood patchbox.
Both my muzzleloder .54 rifle and 20 Ga. smoothbore have straight grain walnut stocks, so I just finished them dark.

gatling

Blackhawk
egl52 said:
gatling said:
- A Winchester Model 62 (belonged to my Dad; he bought it for $8 when he was a kid)
- A Kimber Select Grade 257 Roberts (one of the prettiest stocks ever; haven't shot this one yet, but I will…I have all the dies, brass, and bullets; just haven't loaded anything yet)
By the way, the Ruger Express rifle in that first post above is beautiful. I found one of these a couple of years ago and it is another I bought just because of the wood.
The Ruger Express rifles are very, very nice firearms.

JB,

I also have a Winchester 62, except that I inherited mine from my grandfather. I remember that he once told me that he paid $8 for his too. I imagine they bought our two rifles around the same time.

You have my agreement about the wood on your Kimber - it's really nice. The rest are no slouches either.

And that last picture of the Ruger is drool-worthy. I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty certain that's a .375 that was sold on gunbroker maybe a year or two ago. I think the seller's name was something like 77ruger. Is that correct? If it is, I'm pretty sure I put in some bids on that one. By the way, who was that 77ruger guy? He had a lot of nice guns, but I haven't seen anything from him for sale in quite some time.

Yes, I bought that on GB from 77Ruger. He had some stunning fiddleback Model 77s that I now wish I had purchased, too. When I bought the 375 he told me he was quite ill and didn't expect to be around for too much longer. I searched his name on GB and haven't found anything recently.

Thanks for your kind words on the Kimber. It really was exceptional and I had no use for a .257 Roberts, but when I saw the wood I knew I had to have it.

_DSC5085WD.jpg

One of my friends told me in a moment of levity I should give up on buying rifles and just buy the wood, because that was what I seemed to be primarily interested in. That must have struck a nerve, because the next day I picked up a maple blank for a song. I am going to have it inletted for a 45 70 No. 3 I have one of these days in exactly the same style as the standard No. 3 stock and fore end (barrel band and all), and have some fun with my buddies when I tell them it came from Ruger that way.

Maple.jpg

Boxhead

Blackhawk
Well not just for the wood but I do like nice wood.

A 280 Rem on #49 of 50 Pete Grisel small ring actions.

043-1.jpg

280Rem004.jpg

A pre-war M70 in 270 WCF.

Deanand270012.jpg

New270001.jpg

A Jim Wisner 7x57 on a M96 Swede.

002.jpg

Deanand270003.jpg

egl52

Single-Sixer
All beautiful, Boxhead, but if I had to pick a favorite it would be that 7x57. Just something about it that speaks to me.

APEXDUCK

Single-Sixer
Not a Ruger but nice wood.

CZ 452 Varmint in 22lr, rescued from a pawn shop. Stock was beat bad and I had to refinish and steem out some major dents.
Varmintleftside.jpg

CZ 452FS bottom one is 22mag and the stock is quite nice for a factory gun. The top is nice as well, just does not show well in this picture.
twinCZ452FS.jpg

APEXDUCK

David LaPell

Blackhawk
Not entirely, but it helps. This is my Model 33 Remington I just bought back from a guy after selling it two years back to pay bills. I have not taken any pics of it since putting on four coats of Tru-oil. The guy I bought it from never cleaned it or oiled it. Still for a $100 gun I bought back in 2000 it has a nice stick of wood.

Picture1964_zps83921f80.jpg

Picture1965_zpsc8e09b4f.jpg

Picture1966_zpsc0cebf4f.jpg

This gun I bought for my son before he was born more than three years ago. It is a brand new Savage Model 30, the newest incarnation of the Stevens Favorite. For a new gun off the rack it has some nice wood, but I added a few coats of Tru-Oil to make it pop some more.

picture2917.jpg

picture2914.jpg

I bought these grips for my Model 27 simply because I loved the grain of this Cordia. One of the nicer sets of Ahrends I have seen.

picture2906.jpg

Same with these African Bubinga grips from Ahrends for my Model 649.

picture2901.jpg

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
There is some great wood in this thread.

Black rifles have a bit of cool factor, but nothing beats a beautiful piece of wood.

Jeff

egl52

Single-Sixer
Tensaw said:
Here is my favorite wood.

GoldLabel.jpg

That could be the best piece of wood I've seen on a factory Gold Label. I'd say you got lucky indeed! Is the other side just as nice?

mrbumps

Blackhawk
I don't buy a gun just because it has good wood, but have certainly "paid more" due to the wood. Recently purchased this Win 70 Super Grade in 264 Win Mag. The wood did make writing the check a little less painless.

W70SG_264WM.jpg

gatling

Blackhawk
mrbumps said:
I don't buy a gun just because it has good wood, but have certainly "paid more" due to the wood. Recently purchased this Win 70 Super Grade in 264 Win Mag. The wood did make writing the check a little less painless.

W70SG_264WM.jpg

That is a great looking rifle. Love those Model 70s.

cas6969

Buckeye
Both of my No.1's have nice wood, though I don't have pictures.

Good wood, crappy snap shot:
shiloStock.jpg

stripes.jpg

^ Other side of that stock
SASGGREEK.jpg

65.jpg

^
tcrr.jpg