From the Wood Pile to the Revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pvtschultz

Blackhawk
It's been a long while since I have been active in the Ruger community. I found myself falling victim to my tendency to not say no and life got way too busy. I became involved in so many things that I allowed my "home-work" business to suffer due to not getting the attention needed to thrive. The fast paced life made me yearn for my youth, when times were a lot slower and simpler. I'm not in a position to relocate again, there's too many roots to dig up where I'm at now. I did end up reducing my commitments outside of family and that has greatly freed up my time for the things that really matter most in life. As a result, I have found myself falling in love with grip making again. I have a renewed drive that resulted in a new website and a much better end product.

Every once in a while I get the time to trace my roots back to a tiny town in southeast Minnesota where the dirt is black and the water is cold. On a recent trip, I spent a half day splitting firewood for my cousin who graciously hosts us on his tiny farm. During that soul-cleansing time, I stumbled on a few large chunks of spalted white oak that was harvested near a river bed. My cousin and I agreed to trade my labor for the wood and the end result has been amazing.

I stabilize my own material to keep costs down which also allows me to experiment a little bit. I sawed the blocks of oak with my Stihl and dried them over the course of a week in my electric smoker set to ~100 degrees. I then let the wood normalize for several months to reduce stress. From there they are baked at 220 degrees for a day to completely dry. Once cooled, they and placed under full vacuum and the resin is drawn into the wood once the vacuum is removed. A few more hours in the oven solidifies the resin giving strength the soft wood from the rotten blocks.

1343-5.JPG

Snake45

Hawkeye
Beautiful wood and great workmanship. Your description of your treating process was quite interesting. Drive on!

JPGLSG

Blackhawk
You know I've held my thoughts publicly on this for some time now about you. I think you are a fist class jerk, you have owed me a refund for a job unfinished for going on three years now. You gave me some song and dance that you were in the middle of a move and bla, bla, bla you would get the funds returned to me when bla, bla, bla. I sent the grips to Zane in Texas to finish the work I paid you to do.