Bear Defense gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Groo

Bearcat
Groo here
According to my instructer at Thunder Ranch, he was from Alaska and wrote the book for the oil companies [ yes , the actual book!]
Your handgun is to get you back to your long gun, and your guns are to shoot the animal off your friend.
The animals move so fast that the target can't react and is on the ground [so barrel length and sights are not important to him/her]
If you can't reach out and grab your long gun, take your pistol out-run up to the animal and shoot them in the ear!!
Things happen that fast.
The guns were --- long gun / pump 12ga with hard slugs or lever gun in 45-70 or similar others too slow to work or heavy [like auto]
The handgun / the largest cal you can handle with one hand and hard cast or fmj bullets.
The unlucky one [?] will be shooting from the ground with one hand at contact distance [if he/she can!]

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I will be bringing to Alaska both 305 and 340 gr hard-cast ammo. The heavier one actually has the higher muzzle velocity. I haven't shot that round yet, but I'm sure it will have massive recoil. I was thinking I should load the cylinder with the first shot being the lighter round and the second the 340. The 305 being the first would allow me to get back on target better. Not sure if that is good logic or not.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Groo said:
Groo here
According to my instructer at Thunder Ranch, he was from Alaska and wrote the book for the oil companies [ yes , the actual book!]
Your handgun is to get you back to your long gun, and your guns are to shoot the animal off your friend.
The animals move so fast that the target can't react and is on the ground [so barrel length and sights are not important to him/her]
If you can't reach out and grab your long gun, take your pistol out-run up to the animal and shoot them in the ear!!
Things happen that fast.
The guns were --- long gun / pump 12ga with hard slugs or lever gun in 45-70 or similar others too slow to work or heavy [like auto]
The handgun / the largest cal you can handle with one hand and hard cast or fmj bullets.
The unlucky one [?] will be shooting from the ground with one hand at contact distance [if he/she can!]

This all assumes you're still alive and conscious of course. :wink:

CraigC

Hawkeye
Groo said:
Groo here
Things happen that fast.
You're not going to have time to get back to your long gun and he's just repeating Clint Smith's rhetoric regarding self defense.

Everybody from Alaska is a bear expert. Even those who have never seen, let alone never killed one.

FMJ is a terrible choice. They are not the earth-splitting penetrators that people seem to think. Most handgun FMJ's have a thin jacket and soft pure lead core and not only easily deform but they don't tend to penetrate straight.

SteelBlue said:
I will be bringing to Alaska both 305 and 340 gr hard-cast ammo. The heavier one actually has the higher muzzle velocity. I haven't shot that round yet, but I'm sure it will have massive recoil. I was thinking I should load the cylinder with the first shot being the lighter round and the second the 340. The 305 being the first would allow me to get back on target better. Not sure if that is good logic or not.

You need to spend some time shooting these rounds to know where they hit and how quickly you can get back on target. The shocker is some folks start to get the shakes after a round or two. Don't be surprised, if you haven't shot much, if you are one of them. You need to have your sights adjusted to the round you will carry. The heavier round will shoot slightly higher but you need to know how much higher. Do NOT just take an unfired gun up there and loads some rounds into it. If you are going to use a holster from Diamond D (guide holster) order it and make sure they have one set aside for you, or send it to you. There is some adjustment to the rig, depending on your size, etc. Also carry your gun in the holster and practice accessing it. You won't perform any better than you practice. You will perform less well. Get used to it, and get used to accessing it. Likely you will never have to use it and after a few days it will be tempting to leave it behind. DON'T.

Watch the video. It's a good thing the Guide was prepared, because the hunter still had his stuff packed away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUG8UPsgE3U

Just saw on FB where a friend of mine had to shoot a bear last night. (black bear) trying to find out what he used except it was a Redhawk. Police came out and he will face no charges for a DLP (defense of life and property) shoot. Bears are where they are. They have been a problem this year for sure. Bear was at his house and shot in the drive way.

He just respond quickly it was a 300 grain load. He wasn't any more specific.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
That was a great video! I've been practicing with the 305 gr loads and just got the 340's. I'll practice with those at the range in Alaska, have already made arrangements for that. I went with a Galco hip holster with their heavy duty belt. Here's a pic of mine and also the Diamond D Guide holster.

gal.JPG

hol.jpeg

Groo said:
Groo here
Things happen that fast.

What was the guys name if you don't mind. You can PM me if you want to be private.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Spent 25 days camping, hiking and fishing in Alaska last fall. We mostly boondocked in a rented motor home and moved frequently. I carried my 5.5" Redhawk 44 mag with 305 gr hard cast. I did try a number of loads including the heavier ones but found them to be unmanageable. The 305s at around 1100 FPS were about the best in terms of controlability.

I did see some grizzlies, black bears and moose but didn't have any encounters with them. I carried my pistol in a generic nylon chest rig I've had for 30 years. Nothing fancy and have used it many times pistol hunting over the years. I will say that I was hesitant carrying that pistol at first. My wife and I did a lot of very strenuous hiking and carried day packs. There were days when I carried that gun and pack for 8 or 9 hours. Got used to carrying it pretty fast and I think having in a chest rig counterbalanced the pack somewhat.

I don't think you are likely to encounter a bear on the trail but a teenage kid was recently killed on a trail in Anchorage by a black bear. He was part of a race that runs up and down the mountain. The bear apparently attacked him while he was running. My wife and I hiked that same trail when we there and did see a black bear about 80 yards away on a ridge.

BTW, I was there when moose season started and nearly all the hunters were carrying pistols. We camped several times near hunting camps. Most of the hunters I saw were carrying had 4" revolvers along withe bolt action rifles. Most revolvers looked to be S&Ws. I did see one short Redhawk/Super Redhawk presumably an Alaskan or Kodiak while fishing in Valdez. I also saw a surprising number of 10mm Glocks as well. While fishing on the Russian River several guys had large bore Marlin lever actions most likely in 45-70, 450 marlin or similar.

Nice video BPJ. It really brings home reality. She charged to within eight feet--wow! Would bear spray even deterred her? It was great she wasn't shot, but I probably would have "fired for effect" due to my inexperience. Steelblue, you have a good gun, good ammo, and good holsters/carry options. I would put the 340 gr bullett first, cause it is probably the only one you will get off. I tried the "empty your revolver in 3 seconds drill". Uh, not so good. :shock: :oops: Probably 5-8 seconds. :cry: Be careful!
gramps

MMichaelAK

Single-Sixer
SteelBlue, I can't fault your choice.
I've been carrying a 5 1/2 inch Redhawk .45 Colt here in AK for a lot of years in an Eagle Industries chest rig. 300 grain WFNGC hard cast over a moderate load of H-110 in Starline brass at a chronoed 1100 fps.
It flat out works, penetrates very well through game and easy recoil for fast, on target repeat shots.
If the gun fits your hands and fits your needs, go with it and practice. Just keep your eyes and ears open, your head on a swivel, and be bear aware. You'll be fine.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Well, I completed my trip to Alaska. Carried my .44 Magnum everywhere in a cross-draw holster. I made several hikes, and actually saw one black bear. It was a mother with its cub, both about 25 feet up in a tree taking a nap. The cub was about 4' higher than the mother. I just kept on walking! I did get to shoot a few boxes of various loads through the gun. I was most accurate with Corbon, but overall, I'd say I was a lousy shot. I could not consistently hit a pie plate at 30 feet! I used shooting gloves and even so, you really feel the Buffalo Bore hard cast rounds. I will practice more with .44 specials this weekend.

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I carried a S&W Model 58 .41 mag for bears. Now days I think I would go with the Super Redhawk in .44 mag. I thoroughly agree with Hawkeye on the importance of the bullet. A heavy hard alloy with deep penetration is best. Those will also stop moose at close range. But in Alaska the best bet is still a handy 12 gauge or 45-70 lever action for those close in emergencies. Good luck with your adventure. :)

bigbill

Single-Sixer
The 41 magnum has the same killing power and stopping as the 44 magnum. The 41 mag has a tad more penetration. If I was going to ak. I'd look for a 480 ruger. I love my 41's but having a tad more power with the 480 ruger gives you the edge. We can never have too much gun. These aren't Blackbears there grizzlies, brown bears.

Don't use jacketed hollow points they won't give you the penetration you need using soft points will go deeper.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I don't think you can get a heavy enough bullet in the .41 to outpenetrate the .44Mag.

I can't believe a 12ga slug and the .45-70 even get mentioned in the same sentence.

DougGuy

Single-Sixer
bigbill said:
The 41 magnum has the same killing power and stopping as the 44 magnum. The 41 mag has a tad more penetration. If I was going to ak. I'd look for a 480 ruger. I love my 41's but having a tad more power with the 480 ruger gives you the edge. We can never have too much gun. These aren't Blackbears there grizzlies, brown bears.

Don't use jacketed hollow points they won't give you the penetration you need using soft points will go deeper.

I'm with CraigC, you run out of pressure before you can push a heavy boolit in the 41 hard enough to out penetrate the 44 magnum when the 44 is loaded to it's max.

Your best boolit will be a wide meplat cast hard so it doesn't expand if you are wanting the best penetration.

Slenk

Single-Sixer
CraigC & DougGuy ,
I agree 100%
Also if you don't shoot enough with your ammo that you are going to use, you have no idea whether it works or not.
Heavy wide meplat cast hard .
44 magnum or larger loaded to it's max.