Bear Defense gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Sugar River said:
I think you'll find TSA requires the ammo in a seperate container.

I've read their rules very carefully and you can carry the bullets within the same case as the gun, so long as they are in an enclosed container designed for bullets. This may include the box the bullets were sold in. From the TSA site

Ammunition

Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.

Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).

Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm.

MaxP

Buckeye
The two cannot be together. Your gun(s) will get locked in your TSA-approved case, while your ammo will have to ride in another piece of checked luggage. I travel a lot with firearms, and this is always the procedure.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Well, then TSA is not following their own published guidelines that I copy and pasted above.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
MaxP said:
The two cannot be together. Your gun(s) will get locked in your TSA-approved case, while your ammo will have to ride in another piece of checked luggage. I travel a lot with firearms, and this is always the procedure.

Again, from the official TSA site, see red letters:

From TSA.gov:

Travelers must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
The firearm must be unloaded.

The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.

The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from being accessed. Locked cases that can be pulled open with little effort cannot be brought aboard the aircraft.

Travelers should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation.

Travelers must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

Firearm magazines and ammunition clips must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm.

Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above.

TSA prohibits black powder or percussion caps used with black powder.

Shadow Rider

Bearcat
Two years ago flew to anchorage and back buffalo bore ammo in same lock box as 480 Alaskan TSA knew and didn't care

I was last in Alaska in '83. On that trip I took a S&W 29. No idea anymore what round was in it.

So here's my opinion. The one guy on this forum you need to listen to is Bear Paw Jack.

I'm planning to head back up there when I retire (along with a lot of other places). And it's guys like Bear Paw that I'll heed.

MaxP

Buckeye
I travel several times a year with firearms every year, and in every case I have had to keep the firearms and ammunition separated.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Jeepnik said:
The one guy on this forum you need to listen to is Bear Paw Jack

I have indeed listened to Bear Paw Jack: a .44 mag is fine with Buffalo Bore 305 grain hard cast. As far as listening to those whose opinions differ from the TSA's current rules, not so much.

MaxP

Buckeye
SteelBlue said:
Jeepnik said:
The one guy on this forum you need to listen to is Bear Paw Jack

I have indeed listened to Bear Paw Jack: a .44 mag is fine with Buffalo Bore 305 grain hard cast. As far as listening to those whose opinions differ from the TSA's current rules, not so much.

I agree that Bear Paw Jack is a great source of information, period. However, I think what you will find when you fly with a firearm for the very first time, that knowledge of the rules as they stand varies wildly from agent to agent, and how they are enforced is another story altogether depending on where you are and how gun friendly that region is. Now, I'm not prone to hyperbole or the spreading of bovine fecal matter on the internet, but I last flew with firearms last January (mountain lion hunt in Utah), and maybe the rules have changed since then, I couldn't tell you. Or perhaps that rule has always been in place and again, not enacted or enforced. I don't know.

That 305 grain load by Buffalo Bore is a good one as are Garrett's 310s and 330s. I don't think a harder or tougher commercial hardcast bullet exists than Garrett's offerings. Double Tap also has a very good 320 grain load that I have used on game and it's a good one.

Regarding flying with firearms. Print out a copy of the TSA regs and a copy of the airline rules. Get them from the organizations website and you usually have a line at the bottom stating where they are from. Take them with you.

If you have any issues at the security point of luggage check in, do not argue with the individual. Ask to speak to their supervisor. It shows respect by not arguing, and shows that you won't be hassled by asking for the supervisor.

But honestly, I've never had a problem if I just read and follow the rules. And, my point of departure at the beginning of a trip is usually LAX.

MaxP

Buckeye
Jeepnik said:
Regarding flying with firearms. Print out a copy of the TSA regs and a copy of the airline rules. Get them from the organizations website and you usually have a line at the bottom stating where they are from. Take them with you.

If you have any issues at the security point of luggage check in, do not argue with the individual. Ask to speak to their supervisor. It shows respect by not arguing, and shows that you won't be hassled by asking for the supervisor.

But honestly, I've never had a problem if I just read and follow the rules. And, my point of departure at the beginning of a trip is usually LAX.

Great advice!

MaxP

Buckeye
Bear Paw Jack said:
Practise, practice, practice. A miss is very ineffective. Learn to use your gun. If you are right handed and you use a Single Action gun, learn to cock it with the left thumb while your are recovering from the recoil and getting back on target. If you are using a double action, you still need to practice getting back on target. CAN YOU DO THAT??? If not get your self a rifle.

Watch this and see how you do. You don't need to start that fast but these men know how to handle a handgun. IF you can't, use a rifle. Most people can shoot better with a rifle than a handgun. Handguns are handier for sure.

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2014/7/15/video-the-454-casull-challenge/

Thanks for the link Max.

You're welcome as always, Jack!

Great advice here as well.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Jeepnik said:

For sure, this is my plan.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I would go with a blackhawk in 4 5/8, stainless. It is much lighter and felt recoil for me is less in a plow handle grip.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I have cut the web of my hand before shooting a (Super) Blackhawk in .44 mag. The Redhawk handle works better for me...that said, I've never shot a Bisley which probably would be fine.

buckeyeshooter said:
I would go with a blackhawk in 4 5/8, stainless. It is much lighter and felt recoil for me is less in a plow handle grip.

My personal choice is this in .45 colt. While we don't have really big bears in the areas I currently frequent, I'm a firm believer in having both handgun and long gun available.

The issue with a long gun is that they aren't always at hand. Handguns can be carried almost all of the time.

Yea, I know it's only almost all of the time. I have problems swimming with a big ole hunk of stainless steel belted around me. And the belt can chafe. :oops:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Sounds to me like you got a good gun for the job.

Was in Alaska for 2 months in the summer and I was never tempted to go swimming. I tried wet wading a shallow run off stream to get to a spot I wanted to fish and quickly gave wet wading up for good also.