Be a NARC for Wal-Mart!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

That's got to be it... further marketing by Wallyworld ... that and possibly the tracking to see if someone 'inside' is buying it before it gets on the shelf.

From a profit stand point, why would Wallmart care if mom and pop gun dealer buys some or all of their ammo and resells it for a higher, same or even lower price... Wally's made his money either way... so, it's just away to show where it came from retail wise first.

Cruelshoes

Bearcat
This is going to sound like I am picking a fight, but I really am not. I understand why some of the liberals hate a big successful corporation, but why do some conservatives hate it?

I, for one, like to see a company succeed. Is the hate against Wal-mart simply because they sell a lot of stuff from China? If that is it, Wal-Mart is not the enemy, our own government's trade agreements are.

Again, I can understand the "I hate all successful capitalists" crowd not liking Wally-world, but why do conservatives?

retiredsquid

Bearcat
I know of two dealers that go to Wal-Mart stores and buy them out and then sell the ammo at inflated prices in their shops. :roll:

I just try to beat them to the store. :lol:

5Wire

Single-Sixer
hittman":1so0lg3w said:
45longcolt":1so0lg3w said:
I applaud their efforts to help curb outrageous ammo prices. :D

You really think that's their motive? Pleeeaase......Walmart's motive has always been profit regardless of how they "market" it. At BEST this is marketing.

They could be doing a survey for the Gov't to close what someone believes is another Gun Show Loophole.
Well, if that were the only reason, there would be no reason for the sticker: the sale had been made. And what do you suppose was the motive of the reseller? Think of it as a reminder of how you got suckered paying more when you could have (at one time) got a better deal chez Wally. :)

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
blume357":uu8clt11 said:
That's got to be it... further marketing by Wallyworld ... that and possibly the tracking to see if someone 'inside' is buying it before it gets on the shelf.

From a profit stand point, why would Wallmart care if mom and pop gun dealer buys some or all of their ammo and resells it for a higher, same or even lower price... Wally's made his money either way... so, it's just away to show where it came from retail wise first.

If Walmart has ammo in stock, then the husband is more likely to come with the wife to shop at Walmart. While he is looking at Ammo he might buy a scope, cleaning kit, Hunting Cloths, etc.

If a father is going to take his son out shooting for the weekend. If Walmart has ammo in stock, then he might take his son with him to pick up ammo. The son might want a toy, etc.

If all the ammo is sold out constantly, then Walmart can loose on these above sales. Makes sense to me from a profit standpoint.

Charlie

Plinker MKII

Bearcat
Leucoandro":gmreu8cu said:
If Walmart has ammo in stock, then the husband is more likely to come with the wife to shop at Walmart. While he is looking at Ammo he might buy a scope, cleaning kit, Hunting Cloths, etc.
Wife is there? nope the husband gets a single box of ammo, thats it! :x

If a father is going to take his son out shooting for the weekend. If Walmart has ammo in stock, then he might take his son with him to pick up ammo. The son might want a toy, etc. ]more likely the father will also buy a toy! :lol:

If all the ammo is sold out constantly, then Walmart can loose on these above sales. Makes sense to me from a profit standpoint. ]I agree, but when I go in for ammo, I go in for ammo, unless I really need to buy something else :p

Charlie

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
Plinker MKII":2l7s28ke said:
Leucoandro":2l7s28ke said:

Well, maybe with your wife, but mine is just as likely as me to be saying "OH. We need one of THOSE! Let's get it. Or "If you want it, get it. You work hard for your money."

She's a shooter too. :)

Waldo Pepper

Bearcat
Our local Wallly-World ask if the ammo is for rifle or pistol, and the computer will not let them continue w/o an answer. :x

scottaschultz

Bearcat
Waldo Pepper":3fqfdd2a said:
Our local Wallly-World ask if the ammo is for rifle or pistol, and the computer will not let them continue w/o an answer.
My Wal-Mart does this too and at first I was suspicious, well maybe more like paranoid. So I wrote to their HQ in Bentonville and they actually forwarded my message to the manager of my local store. When I talked to him, he assured me it had nothing to do with marketing or wanting to track who was buying handgun ammo. In Missouri (and I am sure where you are), the age to buy handgun ammunition is 21 and for all others, it is 18. 90% of the time they never ask me since I would never be confused with someone that age, but if someone who did not look like they were 21 said that they were buying ammunition for a handgun, they would have to show ID and of course, would not be allowed to buy the ammunition.

Since one of the options on their cash registers is NOT "None of your business!", I just politely smile and answer NO.

Scott

Waldo Pepper

Bearcat
I guess at 64 and 25.5 years of US Military service I do look over 21 to say the least. Man what I would give to be forty again.

scottaschultz

Bearcat
Ahhh... Wentzville here. It used to be out in the country, but now its just the far western 'burbs of St. Louis.

Sorry for hijacking the thread... now back to your regularly scheduled forum!

Scott

DKA

Bearcat
One thing in Wal Marts favor is, that they are trying to hold prices down. Just today, was in one gun shop and a brick of 22's was $24.00, went to Wal Mart and bought Federal Brick for $13.47. Don't mind anyone making money, but!

Plinker MKII

Bearcat
CajunBass":1qsx2q42 said:
Plinker MKII":1qsx2q42 said:
Leucoandro":1qsx2q42 said:

Well, maybe with your wife, but mine is just as likely as me to be saying "OH. We need one of THOSE! Let's get it. Or "If you want it, get it. You work hard for your money."

She's a shooter too. :)

I was just making fun, my wife is a doll and 1/2! :mrgreen:
She isn't a shooter per say, but she supports my hobby 100% :D

CajunBass

Single-Sixer
scottaschultz":xtxmqy24 said:
Waldo Pepper":xtxmqy24 said:
Our local Wallly-World ask if the ammo is for rifle or pistol, and the computer will not let them continue w/o an answer.
My Wal-Mart does this too and at first I was suspicious, well maybe more like paranoid. So I wrote to their HQ in Bentonville and they actually forwarded my message to the manager of my local store. When I talked to him, he assured me it had nothing to do with marketing or wanting to track who was buying handgun ammo. In Missouri (and I am sure where you are), the age to buy handgun ammunition is 21 and for all others, it is 18. 90% of the time they never ask me since I would never be confused with someone that age, but if someone who did not look like they were 21 said that they were buying ammunition for a handgun, they would have to show ID and of course, would not be allowed to buy the ammunition.

Since one of the options on their cash registers is NOT "None of your business!", I just politely smile and answer NO.

Scott

That's a Federal law. They don't ask me either, but no one would ever accuse me of being under 21. Don't give the clerk a hard time. They're just doing their job. Answer the question and go on about your business. It's like being carded for beer or smokes.

By the way. I used to work in a convience store that sold some ammo as well as beer and tobacco. Not only does the store stand to incur a fine and lose their license if they sell something to someone underage, the clerk can be fined or even go to jail, if they make a mistake. So cut them some slack if they seem overly cautious. BATFE and the state do run sting operations often enough (mostly for alcohol and tobacco) to get your attention

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
I wish walmart would have had the ammo I need a few weeks ago. Wanted to see if they carded me. For some reason I was carded twice that week, once in a bar and once buying smokes. I turned 42 y'day and have a gray beard. No way I can be confused for someone under 21. Been many years since that has happened.

My local WM hasnt had any .22 federal bulk or .40 S&W in several months.

Waldo Pepper

Bearcat
Gizmo42":1dvzd85s said:
My local WM hasnt had any .22 federal bulk or .40 S&W in several months.
Local Gun & Pawn had about 130 (50 round Win & ?) boxes of 40 target and about 20 boxes (20 round) of the Winchester black box PD ammo and it is cheaper then Wal-Mart was last week. But he is all out of 45 ACP, 357 Mag, 9mm, and 380 to mention a few. He has lots of rimfire WMR runs $8 to $12 and HMR starts at $13.50 IIRC and his 22LR runs $1.89 for cheapo Mexican made (works great and the Ruger Mk's like it) to about $2.89 for Winchester.

tango6

Bearcat
our local WM's (5) are starting to get a fair supply of ammo in. I bought 4 boxes out of 12 in stock of the 500 rd win Xpert HV on saturday, 2 boxes out of 6 in stock of the white box winchester 9mm, 2 boxes out of 4 in stock of winchester white box 38 spl, and 1 box out of 4 in stock of the fed blue box 250 count 223 50gr jhp stuff. they have 22-250, 308, 30-06, 270, 44 mag, & 45acp in pretty good numbers, also.
This is causing the local shops to drop their prices which were rip off high.

Latest posts