BBQ...Is this safe?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I remember a while back, someone posted something about propane bbq grills. Or some sort of mishap with a propane tank, I don't exactly remember what.

But is this safe? Our neighbors down at the beach have this up on their deck. It's a propane grill on a wood deck out in front of the house. I've thought about doing something similar, but wonder about the heat bothering the wood. I suppose it would also be pretty messy after a while.

BBQ on Wood.jpg

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
But is this safe?
I had one inside my back patio for thirty years. The only time it became a problem was
when the grease had built up in the cover. Fortunately I had a spray bottle handy and when
it caught fire, I was able to put it out very quickly.

That said, I had a window just above it and a LARGE fan mounted in the window. I also did
not leave it unattended for more than a minute or so.

I got by with it, but I would not recommend it.
P.S. Sitting on CONCRETE, and nothing combustible close.
P.P.S. IMO, I got LUCKY!
P.P.P.S - - Really nice in a January snow storm. ;)

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Also consider what is above the BBQ. Back in BP (before propane) days just about everyone used eithe charcoal or wood. And most BBQ's were open topped. We had a heck of a time putting out an attic fire when some numbskull set his BBQ under his patio cover. Cover caught and the flames drafted right into the attic through the eave vent.

Thanks for all the input. I have a gas grill. I think I used it perhaps 2 years ago…. Otherwise, if I cook outside it’s over wood or charcoal.

But I have thought about carting the gas grill down to the beach, but I think I’ll pass…

And what’s above the gas grill is important….didn’t even consider that.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
Just keep the propane grill at least 2' away from combustibles. Most of the time ours was less than 2' from vinyl siding w/o even causing a wrinkle.

redhawker

Buckeye
I believe I remember that thread you mentioned. If memory serves there was some type of malfunction with the propane tank or BBQ that caused it to vent a large amount of the propane all at once which caused an uncontrolled fire. If a propane grill is functioning properly don't think it would be a problem on a deck as long as it was monitored. I don't think it would radiate enough heat under normal operation to bother a deck. Now, that said, we had one in my neck-o-the-woods a few years back where they had a charcoal grill on a wood deck on a beachfront home. They lit the charcoal and went back into the house to let it get up to temperature. In the meantime, since the grill was a few years old and had had many BBQs in its lifetime and was subjected to salty ocean air every day the bottom had corroded and as the charcoal heated up it fell through the weakened bottom of the BBQ and lit the wooden deck on fire. They lost that home and the homes on each side of it also before the fire department got it under control.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
Grills on a wood deck or porch! Most folks are smart enough not to do that without
proper protection or precautions. I have a concrete Patio where I grill, happy as a clam! ps

Don't see the problem as long as proper precautions are taken... I've seen more of a problem with people having their grill too close to the vinyl siding on the house. The issue with what is safe is that if you take it all in then there is really practically nothing safe. Fire is hot and it burns things... if you really want to be safe then stay away from it and only eat things raw that have just been picked or killed.....

This thread has actually been helpful... because my wife and I rent a beach house twice a year and I'm trying to recall where the fire extinguishers are... I think at least one will be on my list to take next time.

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
For the last 18 years I've had my propane grill on my back patio on concrete.

Not a problem in the world, but I don't leave it unattended.

37fed

Single-Sixer
Mine has been on a wooden deck for 20 years. Heat goes up, flame is 30 inches above deck. My gas logs are right down on the floor level in the living room and are safe. You do need to pull grill out from siding and railing when in use. Don’t ask how I know. I have one of those sheet metal fire pits I sometime use with screens. I have a heat shield under it and a pallet to give circulation. Works fine.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
Ours is on a wood deck with a mat under it made specifically for that purpose.
It does need to be pulled away from the house or they will melt the siding.
Vinyl siding Had to laugh being a Carpenter I refuse to do it. Somebody wants vinyl
I'm not your guy. The can train Monkeys to put that crap on. ps

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I barbecued for 15 years with my weber gas grill on my wood deck next to my house with wood siding. Since wood typically combusts at over 570*F, I don't think it's a problem unless you can get your bbq higher than that. Now if you use coals or open fire, I could see embers potentially starting something.

eveled

Hunter
The firemen I know won’t have a propane grill on their property at all.

coach

Hunter
A neighbor had a propane grill near the house and there was a flare up, not sure why. The flames went up into the roof soffit and lit up the siding and roof. The house was a total loss. Local code says says grills should be 10 or 15 feet from house.

That wood deck will get hotter from the sun than from the grill. As already mentioned be more concerned what's above and beside it.
Vinyl siding melts a a relatively low 160 degree range. Old house had a wood deck and the only issue was cooking grease spills or splatter
making it ugly.
The propane bomb, er I mean tank gets more heat than the deck.
And you did want to buy that fire truck.