Base pin problem on Super Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ctom3

Bearcat
I have a lightly used new model Super Blackhawk with 7 1/2" barrel that I have owned for almost 30 years. I recently started having a problem with the base pin rotating slightly when I pull it to remove the cylinder. The issue is there is a half moon cutout at the grip end of the pin that matches the curve of the barrel and provides clearance. When the pin rotates, the edge of the half moon grabs the barrel and jams it. I don't dare force it since it may damage the pin and would definitely scratch the barrel. I was able to take a thin wooden dowel and carefully tap on the pin to rotate it back into position. What is weird is that it "wants" to rotate when I move the pin and I have to be careful to keep it lined up. I do not recall having this problem until recently. I really don't think I bent the pin. It slides ok and the cylinder rotates smoothly on it. This ain't a particularly complicated assembly. What in the heck is causing this and what are cures?

J Miller

Blackhawk
The only time I've had that happen is when my fingers actually rotated the pin as I pulled it forward.

One thing you can do is get it forward, pull the cylinder, then thoroughly clean the pin (as much as you can if you don't want to pull the ERH off and take the pin out), the base pin latch assembly, and the inside of the cylinder.

A drip of lube and you should be back in business.

Joe

bulletnose

Bearcat
Go To < www.beltmountain.com > check out their replacement base pins.
I have owned a number of Ruger Single Actions over the years and can attest to the fact that Belt Mountain Base Pins are definitely an improvement over stock Base Pins. :wink:

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'm with Joe. Clean it up. One other trick I use is to spin the cylinder with one hand and remove/install the Base Pin with the other. This works especially well with those "tight" revolvers made here in Star Valley, WY.

flatgate

Montelores

Buckeye
Regarding replacement base pins - do they require fitting to Blackhawks and Single-Sixes?

Thank you,

Monty

bulletnose

Bearcat
Montelores said:
Regarding replacement base pins - do they require fitting to Blackhawks and Single-Sixes?

Thank you,

Monty

In my experience with Super Blackhawks, Blackhawks, Single Sixes. and Bearcats, there was no "fitting" required. They just slipped right in and were a tighter fit than stock base pins. One of the Super Blackhawks I had would spit out the base pin every time I fired it, but the Belt Mountain Base Pin cured that problem. It is a very well engineered replacement part!! :D

ctom3

Bearcat
Thanks folks. I didn't want to completely remove the pin, so I pulled the cylinder, pushed the pin back in place and scrubbed it well with #9, then oil. I didn't notice any difference in feel when I reassembled things, but it hasn't happened again. I guess there was a little crud in there somewhere that came out.