Barrel replacement options

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pb4u4x4

Bearcat
I have a 5.5" NM Blackhawk in .45Colt and would love a 4 5/8" barrel.

The way I see it my options are:
1) Buying a complete revolver
2) Buy a barrel and have it installed
3) Have a gunsmith cut my barrel and replace the front sight.

Which would be the most cost effective?

Enigma

Hunter
Buying a new revolver would be the most satisfying... Just sayin'.

If you have the barrel either replaced or cut, have the gunsmith eliminate any endshake and set the barrel/cylinder gap to minimum spec at the same time. I would also have him recut the forcing cone while he's working on it.

I would think buying a new barrel and having it installed would be more expensive than cutting your existing barrel. A new gun would be more expensive but not so much really considering what a competent gunsmith would charge form the work.

jhco50

Bearcat
pb4u4x4 said:
I have a 5.5" NM Blackhawk in .45Colt and would love a 4 5/8" barrel.

The way I see it my options are:
1) Buying a complete revolver
2) Buy a barrel and have it installed
3) Have a gunsmith cut my barrel and replace the front sight.

Which would be the most cost effective?

I would personally go with a gunsmith. As far as buying a barrel, forget it. They are scarce as hens teeth and Ruger will not sell a barrel to anyone, including a gunsmith.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The easiest and least expensive (no cost) solution in my opinion, is to buy a 4 5/8" gun new or used and then sell your 5 1/2". You can come out even. With either of the other two options you'll have more money in the gun than it will ever be worth

Timber Wolf

Single-Sixer
I am with the other posters concerning having more work done. The only way I would work on the existing gun is if I was going to end up with more than what I could buy off-the-shelf. In other words, I would have the other work done at the same time so I ended up with a really nice gun and not just something different. Why have custom work done just to have something not really custom? And if you are going to trade, why not buy a 4 5/8" convertible?

Hugh

Buckeye
I believe going with a new or used Blackhawk with a barrel of the desired length may be more practical. Once you look at the cost of replacing or cutting the existing barrel you might find you were well on the way to an additional revolver.

skip

Single-Sixer
All my .45's have had work done..the very least is a taller front sight so I can shoot heavy bullets...forcing cone and the cylinder throats reamed and I throw in some springs...more than an off the shelf gun...."cost effective"...? not sure what that means..cheaper way, no ...but better end result.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I have two guns that I had local gunsmiths cut the barrels off. I think it cost around $75 to have it done. I could have tied that much up in running around trying to find another gun, shipping charges, gas, and so on. I still have those two guns and like them better with the shorter barrels. One I have toyed with the idea of having it cut shorter. Neither gun was a collector and I never planned on making any money on the guns if I would for some reason try to sell them.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Timber Wolf said:
I am with the other posters concerning having more work done. The only way I would work on the existing gun is if I was going to end up with more than what I could buy off-the-shelf. In other words, I would have the other work done at the same time so I ended up with a really nice gun and not just something different. Why have custom work done just to have something not really custom? And if you are going to trade, why not buy a 4 5/8" convertible?
I have to agree 100%. Unless you want custom sights, a slick action job, freewheeled cylinder, lanyard ring, finish work, etc., just sell or trade yours for a 4 5/8" model.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Well my dad had a similar dilema about 2 months before the 4.2" RH made it to market. He wanted his 5 1/2" cut to 4" with the changeable blade front sight retained.

He could have gotten it cut for $75 with some other front sight stuck on. So there's your baseline cost. He was up in years and I wanted him to have exactly what he wanted. But nobody wanted to tackle the retention of the changeable front sight blade feature so I don't have a price. No doubt Bowen or Clements etc would do it, but not cheap and they take forever.

He finally decided on 4 1/2" instead of 4" (the 4" would have been easier) so my son and I lopped off the barrel with a hacksaw and then hacksawed the complete front sight off of the piece of barrel. Cleaned it up and mounted it on the end of the barrel in a flat cut so the rib and sight would be flush and look original. Popped out the blade and drilled and tapped two 2x56 holes and mounted the sight base with flat head titanium screws. Popped the blade back in and crowned the barrel.

We started with a stainless RH so re-bluing was not an issue. I've never shown it to anyone who didn't think it was a factory gun even though the sight to barrel hairline seam is there. It took a good four hours of hand work, but you don't always have to pay for what you want. It shoots as good or better than originally.

Two months later we saw our 1st Ruger new 4.2" RH in a local gunshop. It had a fixed front sight blade and was a big dissapointment. The owner liked ours best.

1/2/12 REVISION: I corrected the barrel lengths which I had not remembered correctly.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
BeagleDog said:
Hondo44. + 1 on the pictures! Also, did you mean 5 1/2" or is there really a 5"?

I meant 4.5". Dad wanted a 4" at 1st but then decided on 4.5". Then we found out that Ruger made a 4.2" so he was happy! I'll edit my post.

1/2/12 REVISION: I corrected the barrel lengths which I had not remembered correctly.

Latest posts