Ashley big dot sights on 9mm ruger sp101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jack76590

Bearcat
Has anyone installed the Ashley big or standard dot front sight on 9mm ruger sp101. If so especially interested in point of impact regulation with the 9mm. I note that Ashley says not to use this model sight on the LCR 9mm, so wondering about the sp101. thanks for any info.

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
The LCR 38 and LCR 9mm use different height Ruger ramp front sights. The 9mm needs a lower front sight than the 38. That is probably the reason for Ashley doesn't want you to use their sight.

I don't know whether the same problem holds true with the SP101. I'd check the Ruger web site to see if the ramp front sights for the 9mm and 357 SP101 are the same. If they are, you should be good to go.

Thel

Blackhawk
Numrich shows that the front sight is the same for the .38, .357 and 9mm. Supposedly, Ruger has the sight set for 158 gr .38 cal rounds. Don't know how it would work with lighter bullets that are faster as in most 9mm ammo.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/ruger/revolvers-ruger/sp101?page=3

deac45

Single-Sixer
Not an Ashley, but I do have a Trijicon night sight on my 3" 38 spcl SP. With the old sight a six o'clock hold put 158 grain loads dead on at twenty to thirty yards. With the Trijicon, I have to cover the target with the dot. Just a minor adjustment in sight picture. No big deal to me.

Deac45

Latest posts