Arrow Gun Experience?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I am looking into trying one of Swivel Machine's arrow guns for archery deer hunting. Im older than dirt and just finished a second round of back surgeries. I can't shoot a real bow any more. I can't seem to find a warm spot in my heart for crossbows. They're just to clunky, besides i like guns. Here in VA, a person can get a medical exemption to use one of these arrow guns in archery season. My Doctor has said that I should qualify. But before I spend a Home Depot bucketful of money for this, I would like to know of our group's experience.
I did recurve, long bow and compound archery over the years, and would like to get back at it.
Thanks
Bfly

contender

Ruger Guru
I have one.
Mine is a Umarex Air Javelin. It uses CO2 cylinders for propulsion. With a full cylinder,, good to about 30 yds for deer. But as it uses up gas,, power decreases.
Whatever you choose,, get one that uses high pressure compressed air and refills from a SCUBA cylinder. More expensive, and if you don't have a local dive shop,, plan on buying a compressor for it.

I'm hoping to upgrade to that system.

They also use different material for their arrow shafts. You can't use normal archery arrows. They may look the same,, but they are different.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Thanks. Interesting info. The gun Swivel makes that I was looking at can be either 77 22 or 10 22 based and uses a purple 22 blank to lauch the bolt. I'm pretty sure those are the same blanks we used to kill steers in the butcher shop stun guns. These are advertised to get over 400 fps.
Bfly

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
VA regs allow its use in archery deer season with an annually issued medical exception permit for any person who their doctor signs off that they cannot pull a bow or crossbow. I would not be able to hunt with it in PA. So it's pretty limited.
Bfly

I am looking into trying one of Swivel Machine's arrow guns for archery deer hunting. Im older than dirt and just finished a second round of back surgeries. I can't shoot a real bow any more. I can't seem to find a warm spot in my heart for crossbows. They're just to clunky, besides i like guns. Here in VA, a person can get a medical exemption to use one of these arrow guns in archery season. My Doctor has said that I should qualify. But before I spend a Home Depot bucketful of money for this, I would like to know of our group's experience.
I did recurve, long bow and compound archery over the years, and would like to get back at it.
Thanks
Bfly
Wondering if you have tried a smaller pistol style self cocking crossbow. Not clunky, easy to carry, and puts a metal bolt THROUGH my garage door ( by accident) at 100 feet or so.

"Wondering if you have tried a smaller pistol style self cocking crossbow."
I've not seen any of those that are remotely powerful enough for hunting.
Regarding the OP: Some crossbow makers have little electric cocking winch widgets that work OK. I understand your comment about crossbows being 'clunky' but you get used to the bulk. They're also heavier than one might expect, difficult to carry, and somewhat cantankerous to 'unload'. On the other hand, so is a fully tricked out compound(minus the unloading part).
The part I like about a crossbow is: Whenever I choose(even after months of non-use) I can pick mine up, load it, and place an arrow on target as well as Grandson can with his compound that he shoots 3-4 times a week.
I suppose if the 'arrow gun' is legal where you hunt, that's maybe a good choice but it could get some unwanted attention.