Experience with GP-100 ten-shooter

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have an opportunity to buy a 10-shot .22LR Jeep at a decent price. Has anyone had one of these and shot it a bit? Impressions? Reliable? Accurate? Non-lead ammo tolerant? (Many of my .22s are not).

Was this model made in both blue and stainless?

One thing that impressed me about it was that it had much better balance than I expected. I have a couple of other "Jeeps" and was really looking for a .44 Spl. five-shooter, but they are scarce in CA.

Any info/experience gratefully accepted!

Mike Armstrong

INSPECT THE CHAMBERS CAREFULLY!!!

I've got one with a NIB model w/4" barrel that I've had for a number of years, it still remains unfired.

It has faint firing pin marks on the chambers. There's a thread here discussing the issue, and their pics could have been of my revolver.

I bought it online, and didn't see the marks when I inspected it, picking it up. I actually didn't see them until I'd had it a while.

I did NOT dry fire it…

I contacted Ruger, sent emails w/numerous pics, etc. I had gotten a couple of emails back, then eventually -nothing but crickets-.

I was PO'd enough, thst I just stuck it back in the safe. THAT'LL SHOW EM! 🤪

I was just disappointed/disillusioned, after being an avid Ruger customer for decades. I've been hearing nonstop about all the wonderful customer service that Ruger provided for customers far and wide.

The experience just drilled into my head that I need to inspect a new purchase THOROUGHLY, because I'll be 100% on my own, once I leave my FFL.

Sorry for the hijack, but that's been my experience. 😡

Unfortunately, I have too much experience with this revolver.

The early releases were problematic. Mine required multiple home remedies, and multiple returns to the factory.

We seldom see discussions on more recent versions. I would like to know myself, if Ruger finally took these guns seriously, and released them to quality levels that the price would cause us to expect.

Last edited:
Don't give up. I would like to know somebody has had success with these revolvers, and subsequent releases are problem free. I very much was pleased when Ruger first announced this revolver. I want it to succeed.

Last edited:
Don't give up. I would like to know somebody has had success with these revolvers, and subsequent releases are problem free. I very much was pleased when Ruger first announced this revolver. I want it to succeed.

Me, too! 👍

The firing pin divots on mine are very minor, and may well not even cause any functional problems. It was "just the principle of it."

I regularly read of other folks having new Rugers needing a trip back to the "mother ship," but this was a first for me! Maybe I've just been lucky?

Sooner or later, I'll probably just shoot it, and get on with my life. It's probably fine.

It looks great, feels great, etc.

mjh

Single-Sixer
I had a 4 inch .22lr GP 100 for a while. 10rounds was nice. I had no problems with it. I bought it used, used it a bit, sold it for what I bought it for.

I also still have a SP 101 in .22lr, 8rds.

While having the two through several range trips I decided I just liked the SP more. I've had the SP longer, shot more, and was more accurate for me. Likely due to the familiarity and use. I'm sure the GP was plenty accurate.

The SP is fine for the range and the field. Have taken it out as a sidearm while grouse hunting with a 20ga.

The GP while I never took it to the field seemed heavy for such an application.

Decided the the GP was not something I wanted to keep so it went away and something else replaced it.

If your interested in the .22 GP I'd say try one out. If you don't like it you can likely get most or all of you money back.

Last edited:

Snake45

Hawkeye
I just today read a review of a .22LR GP100. I think the barrel was 5.5". Sounded pretty impressive. It shot well and I was getting interested until I saw the price, which was over $1,000. For that price I could have a new Colt King Cobra Target .22.

Latest posts